Executions

jasonxctf

if someone close to you died, and the murder was up for execution...

would you support or be against the execution?

I'll say that I would be against it... not that I'm pro-life or anything, but I'd just like the person to suffer each and every day of their live, living in a 4 ft by 4 ft cell, never seeing freedom again. I feel like executing them, is the cowards way out.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)

I'll say that I would be against it... not that I'm pro-life or anything, but I'd just like the person to suffer each and every day of their live, living in a 4 ft by 4 ft cell, never seeing freedom again. I feel like executing them, is the cowards way out.

Agreed entirely.

I'm not anti-death penalty, but I too agree that they killer would suffer more by being in prison than he would by being executed.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)

I'd prefer execution if I could be involved and all I would need would be a simple claw hammer and the guy tied to a chair.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
I'd prefer execution if I could be involved and all I would need would be a simple claw hammer and the guy tied to a chair.

I prefer this simple method if it was a family member of mine.

1.) Prisoner digs a hole with a shovel.

2.) Prisoner exits hole hands shovel over to family member of the victim.

3.) Family member of the victim swings for the fences and connects with the melon of the prisoner. He falls into the hole.

4.) Throw the dirt onto the prisoner until hole is filled.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
Agreed entirely.

I'm not anti-death penalty, but I too agree that they killer would suffer more by being in prison than he would by being executed.

Why exactly would they suffer more. Its not like they are out in the yard smashing rocks with a sledge hammer or working on a chain gain. Cable TV, unlimited law library, exercise facilities and the ability to obtain drugs and influence other people. Sure they might not be able to sit for a few years after they are brought in. But they adapt. Lots of inmates adapt to the lifestyle and can function. Its not club med, but its not hard labor either.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
Why exactly would they suffer more. Its not like they are out in the yard smashing rocks with a sledge hammer or working on a chain gain. Cable TV, unlimited law library, exercise facilities and the ability to obtain drugs and influence other people. Sure they might not be able to sit for a few years after they are brought in. But they adapt. Lots of inmates adapt to the lifestyle and can function. Its not club med, but its not hard labor either.

Unless they're in a gang they will have no influence on anyone in prison and can potentially be beaten and raped while there.

From an outside perspective, I disagree with the death penalty. Not because some don't deserve death, as I think some do, but because the system is flawed (it is human), it will make mistakes, and you cannot undo death.

But if I were a victim's family, I agree with SS2K5, if given the chance, I'd probably be fully in favor. But I guess I can't say for sure without being in that situation.

I'd like to offer up a different perspective from this article.

But the real question seems to be: Will watching his daughter's killer die help Lewis, or any of the other victims' relatives who plan to attend the execution, move on with their lives?

Stanford University psychiatrist David Spiegel believes that the theory that executions provide closure is "naive, unfounded, pop-psychology." Contrary to expectations, Spiegel says, witnessing executions not only fails to provide closure but also often causes symptoms of acute stress. "Witnessing trauma," he says, "is not far removed from experiencing it."

Spiegel has concluded that "true closure is achieved only through extensive grief work." This process requires families to acknowledge and bear their loss as well as to put it into perspective. It necessitates a network of support systems: counselors who will sit with, listen to and work with survivors; work environments flexible enough to accommodate counseling sessions and the down time that is a natural result of grief and stress; and victim assistance programs that make sure those things happen.

In researching a novel on capital punishment, forgiveness and closure, I found that the promise of closure made by district attorneys and others often perpetuated the already long-lived pain that is endemic to violent loss. Typically, a death sentence results in years of legal wrangling as the defendant attempts to overturn the jury's verdict or the sentence. The process is costly and emotionally draining and usually waylays any true healing that might have taken place had there not been a constant reminder that justice had yet to be served. This is why many families of murder victims prefer that offenders receive a sentence of life without the possibility of parole. Rather than focus on what could be a decades-long march to a death chamber, once a verdict is in, survivors can go about trying to put their lives back together.

Spiegel has concluded that "true closure is achieved only through extensive grief work." This process requires families to acknowledge and bear their loss as well as to put it into perspective. It necessitates a network of support systems: counselors who will sit with, listen to and work with survivors; work environments flexible enough to accommodate counseling sessions and the down time that is a natural result of grief and stress; and victim assistance programs that make sure those things happen.

For some people, yes. For some, no. Sounds a little like he is tyring to justify his job profession somewhat. People got along before all the psychbabble crap. As for the original question itself, as long as I knew for sure that was the guy that did it, I would want him killed.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
Brian Dugan, your syringe and gurnee are waiting, dirtbag.

He likely will have a very long wait, given that there's an indefinite moratorium on executions in Illinois. The reality is, the impact of his "death sentence" probably just means a change in cells. He'll die an old man in jail; same as he would have anyway.

Everything, and I mean everything, about that entire case is disgustingly vile and unbelievably sad. If multiple DuPage County States' Attorneys were more concerned about justice than with becoming governor, that poor family might have attained some measure of peace a long time ago.

Execution with me pulling the switch and/or pulling the trigger.

I find people that think it's wrong and/or somehow barbaric fascinating (a lot of my friends are in the group, there argument is a civilized society shoudln't stoop to the level of a criminal). Someone like the DC sniper for example. There shouldn't be a second of hesitation about putting him to death.

I wouldnt care to kill the person myself or even watch him die, I think thats a bit barbaric. I do think that prison should be different for individuals serving life sentences/death row though. The point of prison imo anyways is to rehabilitate individuals so they can live future crime free lives, those serving life sentences/death row don't need this and shouldnt be rewarded the priviledges other prisoners have.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 04:50 AM)
We executed an innocent man in Texas. Who should go to the chair for his murder? Shouldn't his parents have the same revenge the state took on their son?

Ahh, very good, Tex, very good.

Although no one would ever get the chair for an accidental killing...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 03:53 AM)
Ahh, very good, Tex, very good.

Although no one would ever get the chair for an accidental killing...

Thanks, but actually he got the chair for an accidental fire that killed his children.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 03:56 AM)
Thanks, but actually he got the chair for an accidental fire that killed his children.

Wait a second....when you say accidental, do you mean that was part of the mistake they made, or that is what he was actually supposed to have done?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 03:58 AM)
Wait a second....when you say accidental, do you mean that was part of the mistake they made, or that is what he was actually supposed to have done?

The fire was accidental, but outdated forensic and fire science testimony was used to convict him. The "experts" in the area testified that the fire must have been arson, turns out that was not the case. Witnesses changed their testimony once they heard the guy may have set the fire. And of course, the guy was poor and didn't have Scheck, Cochran, Bailey, Shapiro, Kardashian, and Dershowitz defending him.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09...07fa_fact_grann