With all of the Flowers trade talk, ..... just wondering

balfanman

A thought has occurred to me (that doesn't happen very often) that with all of the talk of trading Flowers, among others, to acguire an established bat; how far away are our other minor league catchers.

Miguel Gonzales

Josh Phegley

Kevin Dubler

any others

I hope that I got the names right. If we can get 2 more years out of A. J., are any of these guys on track to replace him by say the 2012 season?

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Add Kevin Dubler to your list. Very bad results, but great promise. I'd wager that Phegley's two years away at the least, with Gonzalez coming in at about 3 years.

Dubler added, Thank you, I knew that I was forgetting someone.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
Add Kevin Dubler to your list. Very bad results, but great promise. I'd wager that Phegley's two years away at the least, with Gonzalez coming in at about 3 years.

I've been following Dubler, he's an AAP for me. He's had two consecutive very disappointing seasons. He's dug himself a serious hole. If he doesn't look pretty damn good in A ball in 2010, I think he's done.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
If Flowers actually does project as a Catcher at the Major League level, we'd be fools to deal him. However, if he looks more like a DH/1B candidate, I'd make him available to help the team make a run next year.

The Sox don't exactly have a problem with poor defensive catchers. Flowers is going to remain behind the plate.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
If Flowers actually does project as a Catcher at the Major League level, we'd be fools to deal him. However, if he looks more like a DH/1B candidate, I'd make him available to help the team make a run next year.

He improve a ton behind the plate this year, he is staying at catcher, and should be good offensively and avg defensively.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)

He was voted at the best defensive catcher in his league by the coaches, I think he'll stick.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
Ahhh... I thought you were referring to outside rumors, not to conversations on our board.

Yes, I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear. He's just included whenever we talk about giving up something for a big bat.