Comments Thread - 50 Fav Rock Acts

knightni

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
A few albums of greatness > 90 albums of s***. I f***ing love Soundgarden.

This is just pure blasphemy.

Superunknown is an amazing album, but it doesn't top Ten.

And Badmotorfinger and Down on the Upside are solid albums, but don't come close to Vs. (which is in and of itself one of the best albums of the 90's), or Vitalogy. And personally, I think Yield and Riot Act are awesome albums themselves.

Certainly Pearl Jam has gone off the reservation a bit, but they have forgotten more amazing music than Soundgarden has ever made...

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)

And Badmotorfinger and Down on the Upside are solid albums, but don't come close to Vs. (which is in and of itself one of the best albums of the 90's), or Vitalogy. And personally, I think Yield and Riot Act are awesome albums themselves.

Certainly Pearl Jam has gone off the reservation a bit, but they have forgotten more amazing music than Soundgarden has ever made...

Just think how much higher up Pearl Jam would be if you submitted a list. . .

:)

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
Congratulations on your lameness, sir.

:P

I vividly recall my single uncle driving me in his Porsche in the early 1980's to the neighborhood taverns in an evil (but effective) attempt to exploit my cuteness and get himself laid as many times as possible. I was 6 years old during this time, and I distinctly remember Once in a Lifetime blasting over his 8-track player...

This my friend, is how I was introduced to The Talking Heads (and why they will always remain one of my favorites...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
I vividly recall my single uncle driving me in his Porsche in the early 1980's to the neighborhood taverns in an evil (but effective) attempt to exploit my cuteness and get himself laid as many times as possible. I was 6 years old during this time, and I distinctly remember Once in a Lifetime blasting over his 8-track player...

This my friend, is how I was introduced to The Talking Heads (and why they will always remain one of my favorites...

Well, it certainly sounds like your uncle's head was talking to him.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
Just think how much higher up Pearl Jam would be if you submitted a list. . .

:)

Honestly, I started crafting one, but then gave up when I reached the same issue many of you have mentioned...Do I list MY favorite bands, or the ones I think have been most celebrated by popular culture, or that had the greatest impact, etc., etc. So I scrapped the whole idea.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 11:35 PM)
Honestly, I started crafting one, but then gave up when I reached the same issue many of you have mentioned...Do I list MY favorite bands, or the ones I think have been most celebrated by popular culture, or that had the greatest impact, etc., etc. So I scrapped the whole idea.

The idea was to list your favorite bands. The music on your iPod.

That's what a lot of people did.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 09:19 PM)
I was a little miffed at the Wiki synopsis for completely blowing off Adrian Belew's extended contributions to the ensemble in the Stop Making Sense era as well as his awesome presence on Remain in Light. I know he was just a hired gun, but I loves me some Belew.

Come to think of it, In addition to listing Adrian Solo/The Bears in my top 20, I also have him included by association three additional times with FZ, KIng Krimson, and Bowie. I could have included Laurie Anderson for the superfecta.

I used to leave a block away from him. Never saw him around very much though.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)

Arguing opinion is just nuts. Yeah, Pearl Jam has released tons of music, but you couldn't put together a Greatest Hits album for them that could touch Superunknown or Down on the Upside in my mind. There's something about my brain that tells me Chris Cornell is amazing, and Soundgarden was the pique of his greatness. (Again, in my mind).

I'd rather slit my wrist than listen to Pearl Jam... people have differing opinions on many things in the world, and music certainly is not exempt. As far as the Soxtalk 50 Favorite Rock Acts is concerned, however, Soundgarden is > Pearl Jam, and I agree. :D

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
You and me are two of the three Soxtalkers that had Talking Heads on their lists — I wonder who the other bloke with good taste is.

Hey Ni. . . For previous list countdowns, didn't you include the names of all teh SWoxTalkers that included a particular entry, and not just the poster who scored it in the highest slot? I thinks that's what you did, and I liked that.

At any rate, two of my bands have made the cut so far. yea.

I knew there was good reason I liked you... :headbang

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
I just realized I forgot to put Jethro Tull on my list. Oh well, they're probably not making this list anyway, but I should have had them on my list for Aqualung alone :(

They are on my list probably up at number 5 or 6. Lifelong Tull fan and if they don't make the list I will hold you personally responsible. :D

That said, I'm still kicking myself for leaving Led Zeppelin of my top 20. Not that they won't make the SoxTalk cut in a walk. . . they just should have made my list as well. The Dorrs were another one that probably should have just squeaked in but didn't.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
They are on my list probably up at number 5 or 6. Lifelong Tull fan and if they don't make the list I will hold you personally responsible. :D

That said, I'm still kicking myself for leaving Led Zeppelin of my top 20. Not that they won't make the SoxTalk cut in a walk. . . they just should have made my list as well. The Dorrs were another one that probably should have just squeaked in but didn't.

I now feel less bad about forgetting to put Jethro Tull on there, since I had both Zeppelin and the Doors on mine. Or at least, I think I did. I know Zeppelin was there and I'm fairly sure the Doors were there, but I don't really remember my list exactly other than the #1 choice :P

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Rise Against is above Talking Heads AND David Bowie? :huh:

This makes me feel bad about having Bowie on the outside looking in, barely.

I guess I'll consider that payback for the Soundgarden over Pearl Jam ordeal. See it evens out :D