Comments Thread - 50 Fav Rock Acts

knightni

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 07:06 AM)
Yup, now my age and complete disconnection from music today is showing as I keep asking "who"?

Ditto.

But, I've been checking out the bands and giving them a fair shot. Queens of the Stone Age are pretty good. Modest Mouse...ok. The Killers, I acually like quite a bit. So, Ive been turned on to some new stuff.

Slipknot, I had heard of but never knew their stuff. Yeeeech, atrocious, but hey I'm 59 f***ing years old.

Oh, and Rise Against, sorry completely forgettable stuff to my ears.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 07:16 AM)
Oh god... Green Day.

I'm all sorts of sad right now that Soxtalk members apparently enjoy Green Day more than Talking Heads (and Pearl Jam and Soundgarden and Queens of the Stone Age and just about everyone else on this list) :(

Green Day is terrible. I actually forgot about them when making my list.. but luckally I hate that band anyways.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)
Oh god... Green Day.

I'm all sorts of sad right now that Soxtalk members apparently enjoy Green Day more than Talking Heads (and Pearl Jam and Soundgarden and Queens of the Stone Age and just about everyone else on this list) :(

I know musical taste is subjective but the bands are getting progressively worse IMO,there had better be some major rock talent coming up...

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
I know musical taste is subjective but the bands are getting progressively worse IMO,there had better be some major rock talent coming up...

I'm sure we will see the RHCP, the Beatles, etc.. of the world smoothly round out the list.

And if Linkin Park is up there.. I don't care what any of you bastards say cuz I love them. :D

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
I'm sure we will see the RHCP, the Beatles, etc.. of the world smoothly round out the list.

And if Linkin Park is up there.. I don't care what any of you bastards say cuz I love them. :D

Oh my god, I think i left RHCP off my list. Oh crap.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
Oh my god, I think i left RHCP off my list. Oh crap.

Don't worry Soxy,RHCP were high up in my list.

I know age plays a major factor in musical taste but you just gotta have bands like Pink Floyd,Led Zeppelin,AC/DC in you top 20 no matter what age you are,don't ya?

I just hope the Jonas Brothers aren't on the list.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
I know age plays a major factor in musical taste but you just gotta have bands like Pink Floyd,Led Zeppelin,AC/DC in you top 20 no matter what age you are,don't ya?

How can you put AC/DC anywhere near Floyd and Zeppelin? AC/DC has some enjoyable singles, but in terms of full albums, they don't come anywhere close to Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin.

Also, I didn't have RHCP on my list because I really don't like any of their more recent stuff (I'm sorry, but Californication and By the Way were awful), but their earlier stuff deserves a mention. I'm still not as big a fan of them as most are, so they were right outside my top 20.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
How can you put AC/DC anywhere near Floyd and Zeppelin? AC/DC has some enjoyable singles, but in terms of full albums, they don't come anywhere close to Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin.

Also, I didn't have RHCP on my list because I really don't like any of their more recent stuff (I'm sorry, but Californication and By the Way were awful), but their earlier stuff deserves a mention. I'm still not as big a fan of them as most are, so they were right outside my top 20.

AC/DC with Bonn Scott were classic balls to the wall rock n roll,they just didn't have a few singles...with Brian Johnson they became predictable except for Back In Black and For Those About To Rock.AC/DC are rock legends.

I disagree with you on RHCP,Californication was ok but By the Way is awesome IMO.

Old Fart here who admits to liking Green Day. They didn't make my Top 20, but then again there were only around 20 or so acts that did. :huh:

I think Dookie was their best outing, sure, but I admire the scope and ambition of the last two albums, and I think their music is a lot more intelligent than the majority of what is released today.

"Factoid: Eric Clapton was actually shy about singing. Early on, he occasionally harmonized with Jack Bruce in Cream but, in time, took lead vocals on some notable Cream tunes including "Four Until Late", "Strange Brew", "Crossroads", and "Badge"."

There's a video of early Cream doing "Strange Brew" and Clapton looked indeed very nervous and uncomfortable singing on camera.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
"Factoid: Eric Clapton was actually shy about singing. Early on, he occasionally harmonized with Jack Bruce in Cream but, in time, took lead vocals on some notable Cream tunes including "Four Until Late", "Strange Brew", "Crossroads", and "Badge"."

There's a video of early Cream doing "Strange Brew" and Clapton looked indeed very nervous and uncomfortable singing on camera.

Factoid, Eric Clapton barely has a chin which is why he wears a beard, and Ginger Baker is a crazy ugly dude who should have joined a band with Edgar and Johnny Winter simply for the sake of being the world's ugliest band.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
You and me both, though for me it was less forgetting and more of them being just at the cusp of making it. Zeppelin on the other hand I just plain forgot.

How the heck could you forget Zeppelin?! And be nice to albinos!! :D But you're right that would have been one ug...er...interesting-looking band.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
How the heck could you forget Zeppelin?! And be nice to albinos!! :D But you're right that would have been one ug...er...interesting-looking band.

I realized it the day after I submitted my list and I've been kicking myself ever since.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
Linkin Park beats Cream. Something is seriously wrong here.

Of course, I made the mistake of forgetting to put Cream on my list. Ginger Baker is one of my favorite drummers, too :(

Don't forget Felix, this is a list of favorites not best or historically important rock acts. If this is a list of best or most important.....yikes!!

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Don't forget Felix, this is a list of favorites not best or historically important rock acts. If this is a list of best or most important.....yikes!!

Oh, I'm well aware. I just start bleeding in the ears when I listen to some of the bands already listed :P