ESPN Rookie of the Year Analysis

Jake

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)
Keith Law had Beckham at #5. I'm fairly certain if Albert Pujols was traded to the Sox, Law would come to the conclusion he was terrible. KW must have pissed him off somehow.

You could take the all the players from the All-Star teams and give them Sox hates, and Law would declare they suck.

QUOTE (tommy @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 10:11 PM)
I will be pissed if Andrus wins it over Beckham.

Why? A pretty good argument could be made that Andrus had a better year given his massive defensive advantage (and positional value in general). There's no doubt that he was worse offensively, but to put up above average offense at SS with excellent defense is a pretty valuable commodity. Beckham had a great year and deserves credit for what he did, but I don't think it's so obvious that he's more deserving that Andrus.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 11:04 PM)
For what reason? I think he's the most overrated candidate of this years class.

But he won 14 games!

Honestly, if we're simply going by best rookie (regardless of position), it's got to be Andrew Bailey. He's in the top 6 or better in ERA, BAA and WHIP (for relievers). And I believe he converted his last 22 save opportunities. His K/9, BB/9, K/BB rates aren't too shabby, either.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 10:57 PM)
Why? A pretty good argument could be made that Andrus had a better year given his massive defensive advantage (and positional value in general). There's no doubt that he was worse offensively, but to put up above average offense at SS with excellent defense is a pretty valuable commodity. Beckham had a great year and deserves credit for what he did, but I don't think it's so obvious that he's more deserving that Andrus.

I think the reason Beckham won the two rookie awards in the last couple of week is because people realize that he had to play a brand new position, which seems to be underestimated by most. I think it gives him the edge.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 06:03 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4651324

Wow, no love for Beckham or Niemann, that's pretty rough since I believe the statistics would have Gordo as top hitter and Niemann as top pitcher.

Yea which is utterly stupid. Now if Beckham winds up losing I hope it's for either Niemann or Anderson as I feel both guys are also as deserving though Porcello is also as up there with Anderson too. Gordo also changing positions from a natural SS to 3B basically learning on the fly from never playing there, could perhaps sway the vote for him as well. Now I don't think Andrus should or would get it anyways even though he is a good defensive SS, just doesn't have the numbers and I remember some analyst commenting about Porcello and only starting more against NL teams in interleague and hardly in the AL East. And unless a reliever puts up 03 Eric Gagne numbers in a season (meh.. may be alittle harsh on my part there) OR if there's no other candidates to even consider (Huston Street won it in 05 over Cano whose rookie season [.297/.320/.458/.778] wasn't that great, though he did do it in NY and Jonny Gomes SHOULD had won it though not hitting the 350 abs mark might have hurt him) I never feel a reliever (in this case Bailey) should win the award. But that's my two cents.

Edited by SoxAce

Um, can I get atleast one vote for Nolan Reimold, or do the Orioles no longer count as a major league baseball team?

The fact that Nolan Reimold didn't get a single vote is absurd. Of course, most people don't realize the offensive season Reimold had, but that's OK, I suppose. The dude did his best to out-OPS everyone on the entire White Sox roster, and he got close to doing so. He had a great season, and I imagine only a few diehard baseball fans here even know who he is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:33 AM)
Um, can I get atleast one vote for Nolan Reimold, or do the Orioles no longer count as a major league baseball team?

The fact that Nolan Reimold didn't get a single vote is absurd. Of course, most people don't realize the offensive season Reimold had, but that's OK, I suppose. The dude did his best to out-OPS everyone on the entire White Sox roster, and he got close to doing so. He had a great season, and I imagine only a few diehard baseball fans here even know who he is.

Great call Blake. I actually forgot about him after he went down with that season ending injury. I thought Beckham had it locked up till he struggled a bit late. Reimold, though about 30 fewer at bats, outperformed him.

Hell even though he won't win it, if Andrus is considered especially cause of his position, I would think a catcher like Matt Wieters (.288/.340/.412/.752) would get some consideration (at least) as well.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)

His defense was really bad; -10.8 UZR, -8 +/- and all in just 90 games. His bat was still enough to make him a positive factor and he may well be the best offensive player of this group going forward, but it wasn't enough this year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)
Keith Law had Beckham at #5. I'm fairly certain if Albert Pujols was traded to the Sox, Law would come to the conclusion he was terrible. KW must have pissed him off somehow.

IIRC, wasn't Law a special assistant with the Blue Jays before joining ESPN? Maybe he was working with them when the Wells-Sirotka trade went down and still doesn't like KW as a result.

QUOTE (tommy @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:56 AM)
I think the reason Beckham won the two rookie awards in the last couple of week is because people realize that he had to play a brand new position, which seems to be underestimated by most. I think it gives him the edge.

While Beckham had a great season, I'm not going to give him any bonus points for playing a new position. There's no knowing how well he'd have performed if he were at a more natural position, so I don't see any reason to give his numbers a boost because of it. Simply put, Andrus was more valuable than him this year. Part of that has to do with having over 100 more PA on the season, but Andrus was actually fairly close to Beckham in terms of VORP this season (17.0 vs 19.2) despite the edge the rate stats give Beckham. Add in his defense (11.7 UZR/150) and you can see why Andrus had a higher WAR (3.0 vs 2.0) and likely has a better chance than Beckham to win AL RotY. Don't get me wrong, Beckham was awesome this year and his value is only going to increase as he moves to 2B next year, but I'm just not sold that he's a better candidate than Andrus.

Of course, I'd probably vote for Brett Anderson over both of them. It's a travesty that he only got one vote with the ESPN people, but I guess that's expected with the WWL.

Edited by Felix