ESPN Rookie of the Year Analysis

Jake

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
At least a pretty deserving guy got it.

Meh. It's 83 innings. Andrew Bailey pitched 83 innings as the closer on a last f***ing place team. Talk about pressure!

Porcello pitched 170 innings for a team that made it to a one-game playoff. Beckham played 927 innings out of position and was the most-respected among players.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
Meh. It's 83 innings. Andrew Bailey pitched 83 innings as the closer on a last f***ing place team. Talk about pressure!

Porcello pitched 170 innings for a team that made it to a one-game playoff. Beckham played 927 innings out of position and was the most-respected among players.

I think Beckham was the most deserving, since he did the most in the least amount of time.

I figured Andrus would get it, and I really didn't think he was deserving (don't know why, just did)

Some good quotes by Beckham. One I put in my sig. :D

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/11..._al_rookie.html

And it's good to see the kid wants to improve his D even at second base.

So what's next up for Beckham? Well, he was already informed that he will now be the starting second baseman with the acquisition of Mark Teahen and the departure of Chris Getz, and plans to enroll in "Camp Cora'' come January, joining shortstop Alexei Ramirez and third base prospect Dayan Viciedo in an offseason defensive workout session down in Miami with bench coach Joey Cora.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)

No offense Steve...but I think it's pretty silly to dismiss Bailey's fantastic rookie season simply because he's a closer (as if those guys aren't important), or that he was on a last place team. Outside of a select few (Rivera, Nathan, Broxton, ect), Bailey's overall numbers (ERA, BAA, WHIP) matches up well with just about any closer in the game.