CHONE

daggins

Beyond the obviously out of date roster, CHONE seems to weight age very heavily, going both ways. For instance, they don't predict much improvement for Gordo in his age 23 season, but they seem to think David Cook, a career minor leaguer, can put up a decent line in the MLB, due to his being in the 26-30 age range. Meanwhile, they have Ichiro at something like 300/330/400, which would be a massive downturn for him, and there's no real reason to think that will happen... except that Ichiro will be 37 next season.

So, obv. CHONE has its flaws, and I seem to remember it being one of the more "pessimistic" prognosticators. However, it is what it is. In case you didn't know, the White Sox offense isn't very good.

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 09:24 PM)
Beyond the obviously out of date roster, CHONE seems to weight age very heavily, going both ways. For instance, they don't predict much improvement for Gordo in his age 23 season, but they seem to think David Cook, a career minor leaguer, can put up a decent line in the MLB, due to his being in the 26-30 age range. Meanwhile, they have Ichiro at something like 300/330/400, which would be a massive downturn for him, and there's no real reason to think that will happen... except that Ichiro will be 37 next season.

So, obv. CHONE has its flaws, and I seem to remember it being one of the more "pessimistic" prognosticators. However, it is what it is. In case you didn't know, the White Sox offense isn't very good.

Yet still better right now than it was come September 30th. And it's not even December yet.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 07:28 AM)
Once again, why all the David Cook hate? Don't compare him to Josh Fields either, that's insulting. He could the White Sox version of Ryan Ludwick.

I'm generally in agreement with you, that it seemed very odd that he wasn't given a look the last couple years. Seems to me he could be of value. But the fact that he wasn't given that look, tells me there is something going on there we don't know about. Could be a flaw or lack of skill in some way that we don't see, or it could be a personality conflict, or who knows what. Because I can't see a logical reason why, with all the OF problems the team had in 2007-2009, Cook was never even given a look in Spring Training.