AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

I just sent a form email to MLBTR and Tim Dierkes. He is a Chicago native but I have not gaged whether he leans more towards the North Side or is neutral. Anyhow on occasion he does pull in some factual stuff so hopefully he will reply and I wonder if he will post this rumor on his site.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
If I'm KW, I have no issues giving them any of our prospects. The only guy I'd REALLY want to keep is Flowers, but anyone other than that can go. Thing is, I also don't see them dealing Danks2, so that might become an issue, but who knows. If they wanted Flowers, I'd still pull the trigger depending on who else was involved. You have the opportunity of adding a premier LH bat with a ton of power and great defense who is in his prime and cheaper than dirt for 2 years.

Yeah, i know the arguments. Basically, here's what it comes down to for me...if you ask me individually would I give up any of Hudson, Flowers, D2, Viciedo, Morel, etc., for this guy, the answer is obviously yes. But when you start combining those guys together, that's where I start getting more troubled.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
I am sure nothing will be done soon if this is a three way deal.

Agreed, the sheer amount of paperwork alone that these kinds of things take is staggering. I like this a lot, because a third team being involved along with Paulie means we might not get raped here.

Adrian Gonzalez turns 28 at the beginning of this season. He is peaking (as am I, given the thought of Gonzalez in the Cell).

His road numbers over 162 games last season would net .306, .402, 55, 126. That takes into account s***ty stadiums he hits in as well on the road. Honestly, hitting behind Beckham and in front of (insert bum here), he could flirt with 60 homers with US Cellular Field as his home.

He is an unreal talent... one of the top 5 hitters in baseball. He's more impactful than the great Miguel Cabrera, whom we slightly missed out on.

I don't believe the rumor, but I'd love for it to happen. Anyone not on the MLB 25 man roster can be had in my opinion. Hold onto T-Flow, but feel free to deal any of the others.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:45 PM)
This could free up 7 million to get a bullpen guy and maybe another OF.

Signing Chapman to be our second lefty and to step into the 5 starter role after Fat Freddy is gone would be the ultimate coup. Hell, sign Leslie Anderson too and we might as well close up shop for the offseason.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
Adrian Gonzalez turns 28 at the beginning of this season. He is peaking (as am I, given the thought of Gonzalez in the Cell).

His road numbers over 162 games last season would net .306, .402, 55, 126. That takes into account s***ty stadiums he hits in as well on the road. Honestly, hitting behind Beckham and in front of (insert bum here), he could flirt with 60 homers with US Cellular Field as his home.

He is an unreal talent... one of the top 5 hitters in baseball. He's more impactful than the great Miguel Cabrera, whom we slightly missed out on.

I don't believe the rumor, but I'd love for it to happen. Anyone not on the MLB 25 man roster can be had in my opinion. Hold onto T-Flow, but feel free to deal any of the others.

Both is a reach at this point. You can say that he has the potential to become a top 5 bat if he played half his games in the Cell but right now all you're doing is extrapolating road numbers, he needs to do it before you can say it and as of right now he has one real big season under his belt. As for Miggy; he has 4 .400+ wOBA seasons under his belt, Adrian has one and is actually a year older.

I agree that the prospects of Adrian Gonzalez playing here is tantelizing and that he could absolutely explode but you're jumping to some major conclusions here.

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Most, but not all, things that sound too good to be true....

This sounds too good to be true.

Our farm system really did grow by leaps and bounds though. Also, you know SD has done their homework on all our youth based on the months of trade discussion from last year

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Does anyone think Peavy can be of any influence to sell Agon on coming here? I know he does not have a NTC but just askin.

That really doesn't matter. He needs not sell anything to a guy who has no say. Obviously the Sox still being willing to do the Peavy trade even when he was injured, thus helping the Padres out of a huge jam certainly will go into play. Their front office had nothing but nice things to say about the Sox throughout the entire process... the relationship is good.

I don't think the Red Sox can offer as much as we can. The White Sox have a nice crop of youth they could send.

Hell, we're basically using the San Diego Padres as our AAA affiliate for the 2nd time in franchise history. The PCL San Diego Padres were our AAA Affiliate in 1960 and 1961.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Does anyone think Peavy can be of any influence to sell Agon on coming here? I know he does not have a NTC but just askin.

If he doesn't have a no trade clause then he has no say in the deal and no convincing is necessary. Also, it's not like Peavy spent 4 months pitching for the Sox, he was here for a few months and made only a hand full of starts, I don't think he's formed enough of an opinion or bond to be making recruiting calls.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
I would give up Flowers in a heartbeat. AG is a rare talent...meanwhile, the downside options at catcher arent all that bad (new short term deal for AJP...or cheap defensive catchers, which we've been kind of waiting for anyway)

The enormous value Flowers would have to the organization isn't totally based on the position he plays, it's the prospect of plugging a big time impact bat into the lineup for next to nothing for the next 3 or 4 years and under team control for 6. If Flowers fulfills his potential he'll afford the club tremendous financial flexibility (even with a few big contracts on the book long term) since hitters of his potential caliber tend to cost a pretty penny.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
you're jumping to some major conclusions here.

It's what I do!

Honestly, though, his road numbers are staggering. Yes, I am extrapolating road numbers, but it's quite obvious that Petco was killing him. His road OPS the last four seasons.

1.045 (27)

.946 (26)

.928 (25)

.905 (24)

Each of these years his home OPS was around .150 lower than his road OPS. Going from a hitter's nightmare to a hitter's paradise (we all know these two parks could not be more polar opposites) I have no problem comparing him head to head with Miggy, and given the differences (where you could expect Gonzo to park 50, easily - and he hits left-handed), I'd prefer Gonzalez.

Edited by Steve9347

I'm working on a permutation of this deal that sends GMJ to us...while we lessen the financial costs of that by sending out Gavin to SD and keeping a few prospects.

Not that I want that to be the case but in my opinion LAA would be the hesitant party in the original deal.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
I'm working on a permutation of this deal that sends GMJ to us...while we lessen the financial costs of that by sending out Gavin to SD and keeping a few prospects.

Not that I want that to be the case but in my opinion LAA would be the hesitant party in the original deal.

Pauly + Gavin > Gonzo, imo.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
Pauly + Gavin > Gonzo, imo.

Maybe in Year 1, but you have to consider Paulie's 2009 to be a last hurrah, sell-high situation. As far as Gavin, he's great but his departure still leaves you with a solid rotation..... and the big difference of having a sweet 2-3-4 in the lineup as opposed to two.

And then you keep cheap farm talent on board for years.