AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
that is my understanding

What I believe you can do with a recent draftee is put them on a PTBNL list and not actually name them for up to 6 months. Since the draft happens late June, that means Mitchell could be dealt as a PTBNL in late December, I think.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
It's what I do!

Honestly, though, his road numbers are staggering. Yes, I am extrapolating road numbers, but it's quite obvious that Petco was killing him. His road OPS the last four seasons.

1.045 (27)

.946 (26)

.928 (25)

.905 (24)

Each of these years his home OPS was around .150 lower than his road OPS. Going from a hitter's nightmare to a hitter's paradise (we all know these two parks could not be more polar opposites) I have no problem comparing him head to head with Miggy, and given the differences (where you could expect Gonzo to park 50, easily - and he hits left-handed), I'd prefer Gonzalez.

I've seen the numbers more than a few times, unfortunately it's rarely as simple as you're making it seem. You said Adrian would have more of an impact than Miguel Cabrera, I don't see how you could possibly say that with such confidence when Cabrera had accomplished substantially more in his career when dealt than Adrian has now.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
I've seen the numbers more than a few times, unfortunately it's rarely as simple as you're making it seem. You said Adrian would have more of an impact than Miguel Cabrera, I don't see how you could possibly say that with such confidence when Cabrera had accomplished substantially more in his career when dealt than Adrian has now.

I'm convinced Gonzalez could hit 50+ homers with a .400 OBP. The rarity of a player of this ability is stunning. No White Sox player has EVER hit 50 bombs, let alone with a .400 OBP.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Boers just accused Gonzalez of being a roider.

He said the same thing last week, basically he thinks everyone is on the juice, he accuses Albert Pujols every other day. And even if he is there's no reason to believe he'll stop juicing before he hits the open market 2 years from now so you should get his absolute best for the next 2 seasons.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
I'd like to keep Danksy and Flowers, but beggers can't be choosers. Especially, when we're begging for Adrian Gonzalez. That man can carry our franchise for the next decade.

He carried SD too right to the bottom of the heap. One player isn't going to make our trip to the promise land especially if you trade away your prospects or top of the line pitchers

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
Signing Chapman to be our second lefty and to step into the 5 starter role after Fat Freddy is gone would be the ultimate coup. Hell, sign Leslie Anderson too and we might as well close up shop for the offseason.

Are you talking the Cuban Chapman here?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
He carried SD too right to the bottom of the heap. One player isn't going to make our trip to the promise land especially if you trade away your prospects or top of the line pitchers

That's ignorant as hell. Adrian Gonzalez had a fantastic season last year and the rest of the s***ty players on the Padres major league team carried them to a last place finish.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
Yeah, even the guys who don't like giving up young players (i.e. me) would do it with Hudson as a starting point. It's giving up all of our top 4-5 guys that would trouble me.

Why are we to ones giivng up all the talent? Whay aren't we talking LAA prospects here? Konerko is no thrown in/out to any deal and LAA has to give up something.

Sure, but we'd be combining him with a solid crop of players here.

My read on how we stand for 2010 season: We are standing with a mayyybe better staff than we had in 2005, and a way worse offense.

You have to deal from a strength to get better. If you move Floyd, a little money is saved along the way which you can put back into the pile you can play with.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
I'm convinced Gonzalez could hit 50+ homers with a .400 OBP. The rarity of a player of this ability is stunning. No White Sox player has EVER hit 50 bombs, let alone with a .400 OBP.

I get that, what you're doing is selling Miguel Cabrera short. He's now put up 4 huge seasons in 2 of the better pitcher's parks in the game. You also can't over look the tremendous value of a perennial .320+ hitter as it's become fashionable to do in recent years, he was also 3 years younger than Gonzalez is now when he was traded to Detroit and a far more polished offensive threat.

I don't think it's a good idea to go to the media outlets for things like this. If you're wrong, guess who guesses gets ridiculed? The same people who probably won't want to come out with any rumors in future dates.

Also, I've always had the thought, that if national media gets ahold of it, that the other teams who really want said player, will try even harder to get things done faster.

Hopefully it goes through, but I don't see it happening. It doesn't make enough sense from the Angels' perspective.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 09:13 PM)
My read on how we stand for 2010 season: We are standing with a mayyybe better staff than we had in 2005, and a way worse offense.

You have to deal from a strength to get better. If you move Floyd, a little money is saved along the way which you can put back into the pile you can play with.

Yes, but it doesn't do you any good to weaken one strength to strengthen a weak area

He very well could with the rotation and supporting offensive cast we have now. In fact I don't see how this team could possibly win a damn thing without the addition of a big bat this offseason, the offense as presently constituted is awful not to mention the fact that he's a top 3 defensive 1B and we have an error prone left side of the infield. Oh and the whole flexibility that comes from your best player making $5M a year over the next 2 seasons.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
He said the same thing last week, basically he thinks everyone is on the juice, he accuses Albert Pujols every other day. And even if he is there's no reason to believe he'll stop juicing before he hits the open market 2 years from now so you should get his absolute best for the next 2 seasons.

And this is exactly what MLB gets for being so cloak and dagger about their drug testing. NO one has a clear name.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Yes, but it doesn't do you any good to weaken one strength to strengthen a weak area

I might agree with you if not for our park.

We're not a great defensive team, yet we're not a strikeout pitching staff either. I'd be a little more thrilled with a bunch of great groundball pitchers if and when we can actually pick up the ball. On top of all this, I still consider Peavy an unknown to some extent (I'm aware most dont).

Right now we have a great park for hitters but not enough power.

That absolutely has to be addressed, even if it means ending the dream of the 5-deep staff.

Edited by Princess Dye