AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

From MLB Rumors:

•GM Kenny Williams is not shopping closer Bobby Jenks and has not had any offseason trade talks about him. However, Williams will listen at the Winter Meetings.

•Williams said he never heard of last month's rumor about three-way trade talks for Adrian Gonzalez involving the White Sox, Padres, and Angels. The rumor came from a source with no track record, and was quickly shot down, so it was never published on MLBTR. That doesn't mean we should rule out the possiblity of the White Sox being interest in Gonzalez, though.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/whit...pierzynski.html

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Big Daddy Kool @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
From MLB Rumors:

•GM Kenny Williams is not shopping closer Bobby Jenks and has not had any offseason trade talks about him. However, Williams will listen at the Winter Meetings.

•Williams said he never heard of last month's rumor about three-way trade talks for Adrian Gonzalez involving the White Sox, Padres, and Angels. The rumor came from a source with no track record, and was quickly shot down, so it was never published on MLBTR. That doesn't mean we should rule out the possiblity of the White Sox being interest in Gonzalez, though.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/whit...pierzynski.html

In other words, there is still a possibility in there somewhere, and Kenny wants to keep everyone away from the story.

QUOTE (Big Daddy Kool @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
•GM Kenny Williams is not shopping closer Bobby Jenks and has not had any offseason trade talks about him.

Given Bobby's struggles last year, his calf injury, and the Sox being unhappy with his conditioning, Jenks' value has to be pretty low right now. It's very possible that Kenny might want to wait until June or July, in hopes that Bobby rebounds. If the Sox aren't competitive at the deadline, a more successful 2010 Bobby would likely net the Sox some decent prospects.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
Given Bobby's struggles last year, his calf injury, and the Sox being unhappy with his conditioning, Jenks' value has to be pretty low right now. It's very possible that Kenny might want to wait until June or July, in hopes that Bobby rebounds. If the Sox aren't competitive at the deadline, a more successful 2010 Bobby would likely net the Sox some decent prospects.

Not to mention that half to two thirds of his salary will have been paid at that point as well...

QUOTE (Big Daddy Kool @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
Man, Cowley just keeps pouring it on:

cst_sox: Meanwhile, Soxnet.net reporting AGone talks with SD, LA and Sox now a four-way with Madonna now included. Trib makes Gonzo follow it up.

In other words, he can't actually find a story, so he is still trying to be funny. How pathetic.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
C'mon, guys. I thought this thread was bumped again because there was some new news on the AG front. f*** Cowley! Or at least change the title of this thread to "If you think Joe Cowley sucks donkey cock, post here." That way I can stay outta this thread.

Seriously, one way or another this thread has to die. And lets not do any more posts on the newest 'update' as yr then giving said source the satisfaction he likely craves.

Maybe this is a tired beat to death horse but I find a small glimmer of optimism that KW may still explore this trade possibility. According to the article below Jed Hoyer is asking for Clay Buchholz and another high level prospect which KW can certainly match in my opinion with Dan Hudson and Tyler Fowers. I still hope he at least explores it. Nick Cafardo from Boston seems to be an honest journalist from what I have read of his articles so this one seems to make sense.

Link: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/arti...call/?page=full

Part of Article:

GOING NOWHERE FAST

Padres, Sox can’t agree on Gonzalez

For the moment, discussions between the Red Sox and Padres concerning first baseman Adrian Gonzalez are going nowhere, according to a major league source. And it’s for the obvious reason - compensation. Padres GM Jed Hoyer, certainly familiar with Boston’s inventory, is asking for Clay Buchholz and righthanded pitching prospect Casey Kelly or outfielder Ryan Westmoreland.

The Red Sox, at least for the time being, won’t include Kelly or Westmoreland. With former Sox scouting director Jason McLeod now assisting Hoyer, the emphasis will be even more on trying to get Boston’s best prospects.

One teammate indicated Gonzalez has made Boston his preferred destination if he should be dealt. But for now, manager Bud Black feels Gonzalez will be a Padre to start the 2010 season. Black said the team and Gonzalez have discussed the constant trade rumors.

“You know, he knows. He’s been around long enough,’’ said Black. “He’s been traded a couple times. He’s got a great adviser in John Boggs. I think there’s been enough open dialogue between the Padres’ front office and Adrian. I’ve given him my spiel. I’m sure he’s had some other conversations with players about the whole thing. He’s aware of what’s going on, and I don’t suspect that it will affect him or his on-field performance.’’

Gonzalez isn’t the type to make waves if he can’t get to Boston and has to stay in San Diego and play for a bad team, but don’t expect him to like it either. Gonzalez wants to play for a winner and that seems far in the distance in San Diego. Will there always be a market for Gonzalez? Of course. But the Red Sox, a large-market team, are interested now, and it would be an opportunity lost for the Padres. The Mariners and Mets may also want Gonzalez now. By next year, Prince Fielder could become major trade bait, putting another power-hitting first baseman on the market. And there’s always the possibility that the Tigers’ Miguel Cabrera is in play.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
can we kill this thread? white sox have no chance at agone. right now this thread just serves as a painful tease

Never say never with KW, I agree the chances are slim, but you never know but every time someone updates this thread it gets my hopes up!!

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
Never say never with KW, I agree the chances are slim, but you never know but every time someone updates this thread it gets my hopes up!!

Unless he's willing to trade one of Danks/Floyd, I don't see anything happening. There's no mystery when it comes to our system. It's better than it was 3 years ago (not saying much), but we seriously lack depth and near major league ready talent. We've got Jordanks, Flowers, Hudson and Viciedo. Big nosedive after that. You're obviously not going to trade all 4 of those guys. But at the same time 3 of the 4 probably won't be enough.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
The Boras wall has been broken with Jones. Blue jeans and McDonalds and baseball players for everyone!

Im sure Holliday is looking for a 1 year 5 million dollar deal with incentives. Thats something Boras likes to do