AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

That's why you cannot give up Beckham. Everyone else, yes. Getting him for 2 years almost guarantees 2 White Sox playoff appearances if the team stays relatively healthy. The rental is worth the price of any and all of the White Sox current minor leaguers.

With Paulie coming off the books this and AJ as well (Catcher may be a problem) that is 18.5 mil committed contracts for 2011 that can be put towards a backloaded extension. Then after 2011 you have Buerhle and Pierre coming off the books for another 22 mil. Some money will be there. Just depends what the Sox determine their real need to be and all of the the upcoming arb rases/extensions. Could be interesting in July.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
I wouldn't trade Hudson, Flowers or Danks for 1.5 years of AG. Think the Braves would like to have Neftali Feliz and Elvis Andrus back for that 1 year of Mark Teixeira?

if its just those 3, maybe. but i wouldnt even trade beckham straight up for agone

There's a lot of over the top Gordon Beckham love going on a few pages back. Beckham's a hell of a ballplayer but he's not baseball's version of Michael Jordon.

Wait .... Michael Jordon was baseball's version of Michael Jordon. Bad analogy. Ok, he's not baseball's version of Tiger Woods.

Ummm ... Tiger Woods. Slayer. Hmmm.

Well, I think you can catch my drift.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
if its just those 3, maybe. but i wouldnt even trade beckham straight up for agone

"Just" those 3? That's a pretty steep price for 1.5 of AGON. I'm not that sold on Danks (although he's got some nice tools). But I definitely think Hudson/Flowers are legit.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
With Paulie coming off the books this and AJ as well (Catcher may be a problem) that is 18.5 mil committed contracts for 2011 that can be put towards a backloaded extension. Then after 2011 you have Buerhle and Pierre coming off the books for another 22 mil. Some money will be there. Just depends what the Sox determine their real need to be and all of the the upcoming arb rases/extensions. Could be interesting in July.

I think AJ could come back for cheap for a year or 2 but if you can get Adrian here and sign him to an extension then you have a contender for years to come. This guys putting up numbers in Petco which is one of the hardest places to hit, I think 50 HR isnt out of the question. A 3/4/5 of Beckham/Adrian/Q or Q/Adrian/Beckham and then hell 6/7 with Teahan/Rios if you can keep mitchell and throw him at the top of the lineup...this could be the team of the decade.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 01:11 PM)
There's a lot of over the top Gordon Beckham love going on a few pages back. Beckham's a hell of a ballplayer but he's not baseball's version of Michael Jordon.

Wait .... Michael Jordon was baseball's version of Michael Jordon. Bad analogy. Ok, he's not baseball's version of Tiger Woods.

Ummm ... Tiger Woods. Slayer. Hmmm.

Well, I think you can catch my drift.

He's the White Sox version of Derek Jeter or Ryne Sandberg. He's the type of guy who is going to give the White Sox national attention for a long time. He's a guy the beleaguered minor league guys can hang their collective hats on even if they had very little to do with his development. Trading him for a guy who may only be around 2 seasons or less wouldn't be wise.

Edited by Dick Allen

I think AJ could come back for cheap for a year or 2 but if you can get Adrian here and sign him to an extension then you have a contender for years to come. This guys putting up numbers in Petco which is one of the hardest places to hit, I think 50 HR isnt out of the question. A 3/4/5 of Beckham/Adrian/Q or Q/Adrian/Beckham and then hell 6/7 with Teahan/Rios if you can keep mitchell and throw him at the top of the lineup...this could be the team of the decade.

I can see the need to try and sign AJ as the catching will be thin if 1) We trade Flowers and 2) None of the minor league prospects develop as quickly (Cole Armstrong and Don Lucy) are the high AAA candidates with Josh Phegley and Miguel Gonzalez coming up through A/High A. I am concerned both Armstrong and Lucy will not be everyday catchers and the catcher FA market now looks thin if Mauer gets locked up for a long term contract. Both Phegley and Gonzalez are each 2-3 years away.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
I can see the need to try and sign AJ as the catching will be thin if 1) We trade Flowers and 2) None of the minor league prospects develop as quickly (Cole Armstrong and Don Lucy) are the high AAA candidates with Josh Phegley and Miguel Gonzalez coming up through A/High A. I am concerned both Armstrong and Lucy will not be everyday catchers and the catcher FA market now looks thin if Mauer gets locked up for a long term contract. Both Phegley and Gonzalez are each 2-3 years away.

Concerned? I'd say there's no chance in hell. Not even Scenario or JPN would try to paint a positive picture for those two. Lucy? He was drafted in 2004. It's 2010. 'nuff said right there. Cole Armstrong had a nice little run in the AFL year before last, that's about it. He shouldn't be counted on for anything other than taking up a roster spot at Charlotte. Phegley/Gonzalez, as you have stated, are nowhere near the show. Flowers is our only legitimate in-house option at C.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)

Even if AJ doesnt resign for cheap/we dont have the money with extending or resigning Agon(which is the reason this is brought up) I wouldnt be against just throwing whoevers stronger defensively armstrong or lucy back there or hell if we know AJs gonna be gone because of the reason were gonna be paying AGon then id excelerate Gonzalez through the minors this season and get him ready for next year.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)

You'd probably be resigning both Paulie and AJ, though to smaller deals. Paulie wuld be a DH that can still play the field, while AJ would still be your catcher while Phegley and Gonzalez develop.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
Even if AJ doesnt resign for cheap/we dont have the money with extending or resigning Agon(which is the reason this is brought up) I wouldnt be against just throwing whoevers stronger defensively armstrong or lucy back there or hell if we know AJs gonna be gone because of the reason were gonna be paying AGon then id excelerate Gonzalez through the minors this season and get him ready for next year.

Are you seriously advocating AAAAA players such as Lucy or Amstrong as everyday catchers at the big league level? Rush Gonzalez through the minors just because? Not making a whole lot of sense here.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
Jake Peavy tries selling Adrian Gonzales to Kenny Williams.

Guess what Cowley, maybe there was some truth to it after all.

Nothing against you, but this is such a non-story. Selling Kenny on Gonzales? That's like trying to sell to me that Beyonce would be a pretty good lay. If Kenny has to be sold on Gonzales, and I know this is not the case, he needs to get into another line of work. It's all about what the Padres want and if the Sox either have that or are willing to give up what they want.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
Jake Peavy tries selling Adrian Gonzales to Kenny Williams.

Guess what Cowley, maybe there was some truth to it after all.

:lolhitting

I don't like how everywhere is trying to spin this story into something. It's not like Kenny looked at Adrian Gonzalez and said "I'll look into it" and Peavy comes along and says "Dude is a good hitter!" to which Kenny would say "Oh my god it's true!"

Fortunately, if we wanted to negotiate with Gonzalez during the trade deal to avoid free agency, having Peavy (and Linebrink) could help him be more willing to come here since he'd be more comfortable.

The Beckham as a National star not just a White Sox star is laughable.

I'm sorry, I love the Sox and I love Beckham, but it's NEVER gonna happen. The sad truth of it all is if he were a Cub there would be a hell of a better chance....that's just the way it is, and we all know it. Case in point, I just tuned in the '08 All Star Game, and Fukudome and Soto are STARTERS. Beckham will place 5th or 6th in All-Star voting even if he's hitting .320....