AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
The Beckham as a National star not just a White Sox star is laughable.

I'm sorry, I love the Sox and I love Beckham, but it's NEVER gonna happen. The sad truth of it all is if he were a Cub there would be a hell of a better chance....that's just the way it is, and we all know it. Case in point, I just tuned in the '08 All Star Game, and Fukudome and Soto are STARTERS. Beckham will place 5th or 6th in All-Star voting even if he's hitting .320....

So how does Ian Kinsler do it playing in Arlington? He was leading the voting for AL 2B up until the final week last season all while putting up only decent numbers.

As for Soto and Fukudome: aside from Brian McCann, Geovany Soto had the best numbers of any NL catcher in the 1st half of the '08 season (.288/.369/.522/.891 & 16 HR), it was well deserved. Fukudome got the Japanese vote, he was a huge star in Japan and they like to stuff the ballot box for their own.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
Honestly, I'd almost rather trade John Danks than Daniel Hudson in any Gonzalez/SD trade.

With the way Danks1 has refused contract buyouts, he's almost certain to leave via free agency the first chance he gets.

I dunno, i never got the impression that Danks' reluctance to sign a new contract is a statment about how likely he is to stay in Chicago. If adding John Danks would push the trade towards John, Jordan, and Flowers rather then Hudson, Jordan, Viciedo, and Flowers would you do it? I'd have to mull that over. For one, i'd need the guarantee of an extension from A-Gone.

Edited by Thunderbolt

I'd deal both Danks', Viciedo and maybe Morel and a lower level SP.

Flowers will be needed late this season or early next season and if Danks1 is gone, Hudson's going to be needed immediately.

If the Sox get Gonzalez, they don't need Viciedo and Teahen is young enough to afford losing Morel.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
Honestly, I'd almost rather trade John Danks than Daniel Hudson in any Gonzalez/SD trade.

With the way Danks1 has refused contract buyouts, he's almost certain to leave via free agency the first chance he gets.

The way he's been refusing contract buyouts? Do you know something we don't? Because the only offer I'm aware of was the near identical contracts that were offered to both Gavin and Carlos after the '08 season. He stated he wasn't approached with any deals this offseason, which I would assume is because the organization wants to see if the finger problem is behind him.

Edited by DirtySox

How is that? He's been offered one long term deal by the White Sox and it was a low ball offer. That's all we've heard regarding Danks, the Sox and a possible long term deal, this is the same guy that fired Scott Boras less than 2 years ago. What other evidence has there been that he's eying free agency?

Should we trade Carlos? He declined the same contract offer.

I'm sorry, I love the Sox and I love Beckham, but it's NEVER gonna happen. The sad truth of it all is if he were a Cub there would be a hell of a better chance....that's just the way it is, and we all know it. Case in point, I just tuned in the '08 All Star Game, and Fukudome and Soto are STARTERS. Beckham will place 5th or 6th in All-Star voting even if he's hitting .320....

The Sox haven't had anyone this marketable since Frank Thomas in his heyday and unfortunately the strike was right in the middle of his heyday.

have you not seen any of the coverage recently? the media is all over beckham. if he produces like he's expected to, he'll be a star.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
I'm just saying that guys who decline offers are looking for a payday. Whether it's with the Sox or not, remains to be seen.

Pretty sure he only declined one offer, and it was below what we was worth considering his 2008 campaign. I fully expect talks to resume if the finger problems are out of the picture.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
I'm just saying that guys who decline offers are looking for a payday. Whether it's with the Sox or not, remains to be seen.

He declined 1 offer and from what's been reported it was not a competitive one IMO. He's only logged 3 years of service time, counting 2010 he's still under team control for 3 more years. There's still plenty of time before he hits free agency, typically you don't even see starting pitchers get long term deals until their second year of arbitration so the team can save a little money on the final 2 years of arbitration and buyout a free agent year or 2. The only contract extensions you offer a starting pitcher who's yet to hit arbitration (like the one they gave to Gavin) is one that is below market value, catching a young player at a time that he may be getting antsy for a payday or looking for an insurance policy in case he suffers an injury before he can cash in in arbitration. You should read nothing into a pitcher with 2 years of service time turning down a 4 year contract. Hell, the Sox only have control over Gavin for 1 more season than Danks and that year is an option year.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
You don't trade the face of a franchise.....

The Bulls never traded Jordan

The Blackhawks will never trade Kane

The Cubs wouldn't trade Bartman

And Slayer will be with White Sox until the day he retires.

I love me some Slayer, but let's be real for a second. He's not the face of this franchise. Not yet anyway. See Buehrle, Mark. or Konerko, Paul.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
I love me some Slayer, but let's be real for a second. He's not the face of this franchise. Not yet anyway. See Buehrle, Mark. or Konerko, Paul.

Ozzie Guillen is the face of the franchise and it's not particularly close.

The Sox have had plenty of players in the last decade putting up comparable numbers to the eventual All-Star starter, but in the end there were many hundreds of thousand of votes behind. Simple put there aren't as many White Sox fans in the country as we think. We split the city with a hype machine of a nationally covered "lovable" underdog franchise, when in fact, the White Sox are the TRUE under dogs of the city of Chicago.

24 hour sports coverage elevates Yankee/Red Sox/Cub players to national stardom because there are more fans of those teams. Frank Thomas was talented and lucky enough to not have a team on the North Side of town with it's hype machine in full force yet and no internet coverage of MLB

Perfect example, Evan Longoria became a STAR last season. For the longest time I thought, there's no way a franchise barely a decade old has more fans than the White Sox to be able to put him in the ASG. It was just because he was in the World Series last season, people know of him that way, I thought. Obviously he was putting up RIDICULOUS numbers in the 1st half, so that helped, but the more I thought of it, the more I realized we just have a very small, very loyal, fan base. I just don't think it's enough to elevate Gordon no matter how good he is.

I will be happy to eat crow this season, but it's just my opinion currently...

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
The Sox have had plenty of players in the last decade putting up comparable numbers to the eventual All-Star starter, but in the end there were many hundreds of thousand of votes behind. Simple put there aren't as many White Sox fans in the country as we think. We split the city with a hype machine of a nationally covered "lovable" underdog franchise, when in fact, the White Sox are the TRUE under dogs of the city of Chicago.

24 hour sports coverage elevates Yankee/Red Sox/Cub players to national stardom because there are more fans of those teams. Frank Thomas was talented and lucky enough to not have a team on the North Side of town with it's hype machine in full force yet and no internet coverage of MLB

Perfect example, Evan Longoria became a STAR last season. For the longest time I thought, there's no way a franchise barely a decade old has more fans than the White Sox to be able to put him in the ASG. It was just because he was in the World Series last season, people know of him that way, I thought. Obviously he was putting up RIDICULOUS numbers in the 1st half, so that helped, but the more I thought of it, the more I realized we just have a very small, very loyal, fan base. I just don't think it's enough to elevate Gordon no matter how good he is.

Do you not remember in 2005 when White Sox fans voted in Pods?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
Do you not remember in 2005 when White Sox fans voted in Pods?

Not on the original ballot. Pods wasn't a starter. I'm talking strictly starting.

But while you bring that up, why can't that same enthusiasm be brought to voting in a starter? What's the difference? Is it the whole, we vote for your NL guy, you vote for our AL guy?

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)

How many great, personable players have the Sox had in the past 10 years that were actually willing to seek out the spotlight rather than shy away from it? I'm having trouble thinking of any (Hurt excluded). Gordon Beckham is that guy. At the very least I expect him to reach Torii Hunter status.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
Not on the original ballot. Pods wasn't a starter. I'm talking strictly starting.

But while you bring that up, why can't that same enthusiasm be brought to voting in a starter? What's the difference? Is it the whole, we vote for your NL guy, you vote for our AL guy?

That wasn't his point. You do remember that Pods beat out Derek Jeter for that final spot, right? And A.J. got in the next year through the same process. You contend there aren't that many Sox fans around the country. Well there were plenty out in full force during those two instances.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
How many great, personable players have the Sox had in the past 10 years that were actually willing to seek out the spotlight rather than shy away from it? I'm having trouble thinking of any (Hurt excluded). Gordon Beckham is that guy. At the very least I expect him to reach Torii Hunter status.

I think Mark is as personable as we've had, but he's so humble and such a hillbilly that he doesn't really seek attention for himself either.

Gordon has the "it" factor, for lack of a better phrase, and certainly seems to enjoy the spotlight.

He will be a star on the national level, not just the local level, but there certainly is something to be said about the advantage of being in some other markets. Were he a Yankee/Red Sox/Cub/Dodger, he would probably already be the superstar he will be here in the next 1-2 years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
That wasn't his point. You do remember that Pods beat out Derek Jeter for that final spot, right? And A.J. got in the next year through the same process. You contend there aren't that many Sox fans around the country. Well there were plenty out in full force during those two instances.

I doubt those were ALL White Sox fans... But lets say that they were, why didn't they come out in full force to get AJ and Pods as starters?

We do still have at least two more years of Danks, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him either dealt at the deadline if we are not in it, or after this season is over.