AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
I doubt those were ALL White Sox fans... But lets say that they were, why didn't they come out in full force to get AJ and Pods as starters?

What other fanbases would vote for Podsenick and Pieryznski?? If Beckham produces the first half he will be in serious running for the All Star spot at 2B, no question about it.

The size of the Brewers fan base hasn't hurt Prince Fielder or Ryan Braun one bit same went for Barry Zito when he played for the A's and even if there's only a few Pirate's fans left after their 2 decades as the least successful organization in pro sports it won't keep Andrew McCutchen from absolutely blowing up next year if produces.

Mark Gonzalez is now on the AGon trade speculation so this thing does have some legs.

Link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7757164.story

With Peavy coming out and endorsing this it makes the rumor mill more interesting. I had posted a long while back what would be the difference if Peavy asked KW to go after AGon but in the end it probably won't mean a whole lot. Every rumor I have seen has pegged the Red Sox as favorites but with it now somewhat official that KW wants AGon (Level of interest should be pretty high) then this should make for an interesting summer.

I wonder what a Soxtalk poll would look like just (To include Slayer in any trade proposal) before the July dealine if we are in the thick of the race but need that bat sorely and the DH committee has failed miserably. And if the Pads are really out of it by then.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
This just proves that Joe Cowley was wrong.

Cowley shot down the rumor because the initial report had the Sox, Angels, and Padres all in the deal. Supposedly Konerko was going to LAA. How does that make Cowley wrong? To my knowledge, that actually makes Cowley right. All of these recent reports state that Peavy is trying to push for the Sox to make a deal for Gonzo. I haven't seen anything stating the Sox and Pads have even had talks.

Edited by BaseballNick

For what its worth, I wouldn't trade Danks. And if I did, it'd be D1, D2, and Morel. That's it.

That being said, I'd be all over anything like Hudson, Flowers, Morel, Viciedo, Torres, and Sergio Santos.

Why Santos? Because he could step in as their closer if he really is throwing consistent strikes, which the Pads would probably like because they could unload Heath Bell for more prospects.

The other package I think the Padres would want would be Hudson, Flowers, Morel, Mitchell. But if I can get away with Santos/Torres/Viciedo instead, I do in a heartbeat as I want to keep on to D2 (for D1's contract, and because I think he'd be a good 4th outfielder or starter if TCQ becomes a DH) and Mitchell.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
Cowley shot down the rumor because the initial report had the Sox, Angels, and Padres all in the deal. Supposedly Konerko was going to LAA. How does that make Cowley wrong? To my knowledge, that actually makes Cowley right. All of these recent reports state that Peavy is trying to push for the Sox to make a deal for Gonzo. I haven't seen anything stating the Sox and Pads have even had talks.

Wasn't Cowley just saying that the entire thing was absurd?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
Wasn't Cowley just saying that the entire thing was absurd?

I recall him saying that LAA having interest in Konerko was absurd, in essence, making the whole thing absurd. He said it wouldn't make sense for them to trade for PK because they have someone better and younger already (Morales). Also, they could just go trade for Gonzo, without the White Sox getting involved, if they really wanted him.

I recall him saying that LAA having interest in Konerko was absurd, in essence, making the whole thing absurd. He said it wouldn't make sense for them to trade for PK because they have someone better and younger already (Morales). Also, they could just go trade for Gonzo, without the White Sox getting involved, if they really wanted him.

I think if PK didn't have such an albatross for his final year contract he would be more marketable. Then again if KW can convince JR to eat maybe a portion of the contract (4-5 mil) then he becomes a little bit more attractive. It might have to be a 3 team blockbuster if the Pads don't budge on the offers KW makes if we go after AGon. Just sayin there may be more than 2 players in this dance.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
I think if PK didn't have such an albatross for his final year contract he would be more marketable. Then again if KW can convince JR to eat maybe a portion of the contract (4-5 mil) then he becomes a little bit more attractive. It might have to be a 3 team blockbuster if the Pads don't budge on the offers KW makes if we go after AGon. Just sayin there may be more than 2 players in this dance.

I'm tired of hearing Paulie being badmouthed for his contract.

Would you expect Adrian Gonzalez to take a 5 year 60M, because at the time of his contract, Paulie was

Adrian Gonzalez or Justin Morneau, whichever you prefer.

So you know what? Let's say we get Gonzalez, and sign him to an extension. Chances are his contract will become an albatross too by the end of it.

Players that should be entering their primes with bad contracts (The Albatrios) are albatrosses. Players that were overpaid at the time (Linebrink) are albatrosses. Players that took below market value to stay with the team are not.

Edit: Intriguing. Kenny initiated the Gonzalez talks.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

"Kenny asked me at one point in time, 'What kind of guy is this guy?' I went into full recruiting mode," said a smiling Peavy, who clearly is as honest as he is talented. "I said, 'Listen, if you put this guy in the mix on this team, a left-handed bat in the middle of the lineup, a guy that could spell Paulie [Konerko] at first and is a Gold Glover ...

Merkin takes a shot at SoxTalk.

Early on in this past offseason, unfounded rumors of a three-way trade involving the Padres, White Sox and the Angels sent the groundswell of "Gonzalez to the South Side" into a fever pitch. And before that same fever breaks out again, remember a few things about this particular situation.
Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
We knew that months ago. When the extent of your writing ability is making fun of others, it is pretty much a guarantee that you aren't very good at your day job.

His new thing is being "exclusive" and taking shots at the Tribune. Of course when he's late to the dance like the Damon story, there is none of that BS. He's just an unproffessional Marriotti wantabee who is hoping his ridiculous comments land him an ESPN gig.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 06:59 AM)
His new thing is being "exclusive" and taking shots at the Tribune. Of course when he's late to the dance like the Damon story, there is none of that BS. He's just an unproffessional Marriotti wantabee who is hoping his ridiculous comments land him an ESPN gig.

The flea is looking for another dog since his is dying

Someone just called in saying Gonzalez' club option year is void if he gets traded. Also there's reports he's gonna want Texiera money on his next deal. 10 years $200MM. So I can't see KW giving up much if this is true and they only get him for a year or two. I think the option year is 2012???

a friend sent me this by text

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 07:31 AM)
Someone just called in saying Gonzalez' club option year is void if he gets traded. Also there's reports he's gonna want Texiera money on his next deal. 10 years $200MM. So I can't see KW giving up much if this is true and they only get him for a year or two. I think the option year is 2012???

The option year is 2011 and there isn't a chance in hell he gets 10 years, he'll be 30 for God's sake, he's probably looking at 7 years tops and $20M+ per is a near lock.

I did a quick search and checked a few sites that would have such information and I can't find anything about the option being void if traded, you'd think something as important as that would have been reported b y now. His trde value takes a tremendous hit if he's a 2 month to 1 year rental

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 06:59 AM)

I agree 100%. Anyone here could do Joe Cowley's job, and do it better.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 09:49 PM)
I wonder what a Soxtalk poll would look like just (To include Slayer in any trade proposal) before the July dealine if we are in the thick of the race but need that bat sorely and the DH committee has failed miserably. And if the Pads are really out of it by then.

My vote is no (not that it carries any weight), I don't like the idea of taking a bat away just to add ONE. If were getting 2 or more impact players then it's something to think about. I'm not saying Slayer is better than AGON, but when you consider age, contract, etc...plus what it's going to cost to keep AGON here long term then the deal becomes less attractive. It also makes me nervous to pay someone 20+mil per for ages 34-37...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 07:31 AM)

If this is true, I actually think this helps the Sox get him. They wouldn't have to part with Beckham and 3 to 4 prospects should be able to get him then.

Where did your friend hear this?