AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

I don't understand how the idea of trading Beckham even comes into the equation. Isn't an elite middle infielder of Beckham's ability (at least what we've seen so far) harder to find than an elite 1B with pop (albeit a gold glover). Don't get me wrong, I would package the whole lot of our prospects to get Adrian...just not Beckham. I would trade John Danks or Floyd (if we believe in Hudson) before trading Beckham and having Nix, Lillibridge or Retherford fill that hole.

Hudson, Flowers, Mitchell, Morel and Santos or Torres should get this done. If they like Red Sox offer better, fine but we don't need to fill one hole by creating a gaping hole in another area.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how the idea of trading Beckham even comes into the equation. Isn't an elite middle infielder of Beckham's ability (at least what we've seen so far) harder to find than an elite 1B with pop (albeit a gold glover). Don't get me wrong, I would package the whole lot of our prospects to get Adrian...just not Beckham. I would trade John Danks or Floyd (if we believe in Hudson) before trading Beckham and having Nix, Lillibridge or Retherford fill that hole.

Hudson, Flowers, Mitchell, Morel and Santos or Torres should get this done. If they like Red Sox offer better, fine but we don't need to fill one hole by creating a gaping hole in another area.

HD, that is a very good no an awesome package but you know how teams get with their most valueable trade chips. I think it could be less by the time July rolls around but dependant on two things: 1) Morel, Flowers are raking and Hudson is pitching lights out or semi-lights out in AAA. 2) The Pads are so out of it that it makes sense for them to trade AGon for future MLB talent. I am betting by July we should know for sure. I see the Pads really holding on until then.

BREAKING NEWS: Peavy still wants A-Gone! Smell that? Smells like it's time for another three-team trade fairytale rumor to run with SoxNot.

Joe Cowley's twitter

Somebody explain to me why this pathetic excuse for a journalist believes pissing off a large group of fans of the team he covers for a living is a good idea.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
BREAKING NEWS: Peavy still wants A-Gone! Smell that? Smells like it's time for another three-team trade fairytale rumor to run with SoxNot.

Joe Cowley's twitter

Somebody explain to me why this pathetic excuse for a journalist believes pissing off a large group of fans of the team he covers for a living is a good idea.

That is Cowley being a jagoff. That SoxNet story about the Sox and SD having discussions really drove him insane. Anybody that follows Kenny knows he's pursued

Gonzalez this offseason. How much he's pursued him is the question, but obviously there is interest as evidenced by Peavy's comments. Kenny chases the best players until he can't.

Cowley is acting the defensive prick because he attacked that story as total BS and now it's a national subject.

Joe Cowley's twitter

What a douche.

My guess is Cowley reads SoxTalk and he gets off on reading the reactions to his attacks. And he may be a douche, but that 3-way rumor with the Angels always sounded like bulls*** anyway, so who cares if he brings it up again?

And actually I confess, I'm starting to like Cowley more. He's a total piece of s*** but at least he has fun with it. Twitter is ghey though so I won't follow him on that.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
aren't the same people who follow on this board the same fan base that Cowley is supposed to be appealing to? And yet he seeks to alienate. Genius. Think I'll drop a line to the editor, just for s***s and giggles.

Not really. We're a small collection of Sox nerds and we don't represent the majority of the fanbase.

I dont understand why people give Cowley the time of day. His claim to fame is insulting Toronto and not standing up for the Canadian national anthem. Or maybe his claim to fame is that he was suspended from voting on the hall of fame, because he was an embarrassment.

As long as he is affiliated with Sun-Times, I wont read their publication. If enough people stop reading the Sun-Times, we wont have to hear from Cowley again.

Joe Cowley's twitter

This is why I stopped following him on twitter. I don't care who he knows or what he writes, I will not read his stuff because he comes off a real jerk on twitter. I don't know him and he might be a good human, but he really needs to get off of twitter unless he wants to be disliked. I felt this long before any AGon rumor. I dropped him last year. Fortunately we have a lot of other good places to get Sox news and don't even need to look at his paper at all. Maybe he is angry about that. Drop him from twitter unless you want to be pissed off.

Edited by 103 mph screwball

Joe Cowley's twitter

Eh... keep in mind that this is coming from a guy that thinks that a Karate Kid marathon > Olympic hockey. He sounds totally stoked that theres a brand new karate kid movie being made. He probably sucks his thumb and sleeps in the fetal position...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
I dont understand why people give Cowley the time of day. His claim to fame is insulting Toronto and not standing up for the Canadian national anthem. Or maybe his claim to fame is that he was suspended from voting on the hall of fame, because he was an embarrassment.

As long as he is affiliated with Sun-Times, I wont read their publication. If enough people stop reading the Sun-Times, we wont have to hear from Cowley again.

Dude, remember when Jerry Reinsdorf and I believe Andy MacFail co-wrote that letter asking for the hiney bird to be put to pasture? Remember how that didn't work? If JR can't do it, we can't either. This is what sportswriters are these days and there aren't enough hardcore Sox fans around to do anything about it.

LOL, what a whiner.

I can actually understand how journalists would feel a bit peaved (har) about the emergence of the internet rumor machine. A lot of garbage gets spewed out there, and right or wrong, it intrudes on their domain. The good journalists see that reality, and try to work within it as best they can. They even reach out to the people who may have sources that the writers do not. The lousy ones just b**** and moan, like some pathetic old man sitting at his local bar, going on about how hard the world is on them.

Cowley's writing falls into the latter.

Keep in mind too though, SoxNet is seen as a part of TribCo (since it sits on their site), the major competitor for Sun Times readership. So there is a professional rivalry there too.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
Dude, remember when Jerry Reinsdorf and I believe Andy MacFail co-wrote that letter asking for the hiney bird to be put to pasture? Remember how that didn't work? If JR can't do it, we can't either. This is what sportswriters are these days and there aren't enough hardcore Sox fans around to do anything about it.

I guess that's the difference between me and you.

Maybe I wont make a difference, but that doesnt mean I wont try. As you said before, you're starting to like Cowley.

I cant argue taste, and if you like Cowley style journalism, thats your prerogative. Personally I find him to be an unintelligent bully, but different strokes for different folks.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)

Complaining about it here might make his editor take notice. Some letters to said editor has a better chance. But by far the most effective way to see this guy run out of his job like Mariotti was, is if a groundswell of Sox fans stop reading the Sun Times (online or in print), AND if they know this is a reason.

I mean, the Sun Times is already a pretty lousy paper, so there aren't a lot of readers left to alienate, but one of the few things they've traditionally had going for them was a perceived bigger focus on the Sox (vs Cubs). They advertise through the Sox, and its obvious they want the Sox fan readership. If they thought Cowley was turning them away, that's what would make a change happen.

By the way, don't bother emailing Cowley himself, that gets you nowhere.

If you want to see something done, email the editor, and tell him why you avoid reading the suntimes now (we really only see Cowley's tweets linked here, no one bothers linking the suntimes.com site anymore, for this reason).

here is his email address: [email protected]

His name is Stu Courtney.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
LOL, what a whiner.

I can actually understand how journalists would feel a bit peaved (har) about the emergence of the internet rumor machine. A lot of garbage gets spewed out there, and right or wrong, it intrudes on their domain. The good journalists see that reality, and try to work within it as best they can. They even reach out to the people who may have sources that the writers do not. The lousy ones just b**** and moan, like some pathetic old man sitting at his local bar, going on about how hard the world is on them.

Cowley's writing falls into the latter.

Keep in mind too though, SoxNet is seen as a part of TribCo (since it sits on their site), the major competitor for Sun Times readership. So there is a professional rivalry there too.

He uses new media (Twitter) to cry about it...

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
He uses new media (Twitter) to cry about it...

Which is business-stupid for the sun times, in this case. Not the use of new media... but that their writer is making enemies, and the only "play" they are getting is his tweets, which don't supply any ad hits for the paper at all. If people were reading his articles and complaining, that would actually be good for the paper, potentially.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
Which is business-stupid for the sun times, in this case. Not the use of new media... but that their writer is making enemies, and the only "play" they are getting is his tweets, which don't supply any ad hits for the paper at all. If people were reading his articles and complaining, that would actually be good for the paper, potentially.

Great point.