AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
The radio station that has him as a baseball expert is one talking about it.

if you mean the Score, B & B are doing it theoretically, it's more of a discussion about their feelings about Beckham's upside. Numerous times Boers has said something along the lines as "the White Sox aren't in it as much as is out there."

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this from the SD site:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/ma...d-man-sullivan/

Important port of article stating AGon's price range and the fact the Pads can't pay. Becks not mentioned but Sox/Peavy are.

“This is a premium ballplayer,” said John Boggs, Gonzalez’s agent. “If you think you can get it done, he’s obviously somebody who’s moveable …

“I never try to dissolve the possibility (of a deal with the Padres), but I don’t see any signs.”

Boggs said his preliminary discussion with Padres General Manager Jed Hoyer was so superficial that “you couldn’t characterize it as a negotiation.” Boggs said Hoyer inquired as to Gonzalez’s expectations; that Boggs cited the eight-year, $180 million deal of New York Yankees’ first baseman Mark Teixeira, and that that comment effectively ended Hoyer’s exploration.

Moorad subsequently sent an early-warning signal to anxious fans: “While I’d be thrilled to have (Gonzalez be) part of the organization for the long term, the early signals indicate his cost will be greater than our ability to pay.”

Moorad made that statement in an interview on Feb. 2. When it comes to the Padres’ payroll, though, every day is Groundhog Day.

Moorad is sensitive to the continuing scuttlebutt that his partnership is underfinanced, and says he is on schedule to make the next installment payment on John Moores’ ownership stake later this month. Moorad also projects payroll growth as his young ballclub matures, but that growth figures to be too gradual to accommodate a Gonzalez extension and certainly insufficient to keep up with the Steinbrenners.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
So according to Heyman Adrian Gonzalez is seeking Mark Teixeira money from the Padres (8/$180) and San Diego is offering Torii Hunter money (5/$90M), I do believe this is the definition of an impasse. This should seal his being traded sometime in the not too distant future.

The real answer is how long will it be before he becomes a Yankee.

I haven't seen this posted yet, from Merkin.

http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/20...g_anywhere.html

Trading Beckham as part of an Adrian Gonzalez trade, as a purely hypothetical example, makes little sense for the White Sox. You are basically getting rid of one franchise player for another who might only be in Chicago for two years. I'm not demeaning Jayson Nix or Brent Lillibridge, both capable players and would-be hypothetical replacements at second, but Beckham is a special force.

Until further notice, though, let's stop talking about Beckham going anywhere. He is one of the few near-untouchables on the White Sox roster.

So according to Heyman Adrian Gonzalez is seeking Mark Teixeira money from the Padres (8/$180) and San Diego is offering Torii Hunter money (5/$90M), I do believe this is the definition of an impasse. This should seal his being traded sometime in the not too distant future.

If we have PK and AJP due to come off the books at a value of 18 million and we are able to trade for AGon under acceptable terms would it make sense to offer him either 5/110 or 5/115 or 6/135 or 6/140? That puts the value slightly above Teixeira's 8/180 and keeps him in a Sox uniform until he is 35 when he should still be productive. That keeps the number of years reasonable and gives him more than market value. Or backload the contract with something like Year 1 - 18 mil, Year 2 - 18 mil, Years 3-6 25 Mil. Just an idea.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 12:12 AM)
If we have PK and AJP due to come off the books at a value of 18 million and we are able to trade for AGon under acceptable terms would it make sense to offer him either 5/110 or 5/115 or 6/135 or 6/140? That puts the value slightly above Teixeira's 8/180 and keeps him in a Sox uniform until he is 35 when he should still be productive. That keeps the number of years reasonable and gives him more than market value. Or backload the contract with something like Year 1 - 18 mil, Year 2 - 18 mil, Years 3-6 25 Mil. Just an idea.

The Sox are going to owe raises to Quentin and Danks as well as the escalating contracts of Peavy and Rios, just to name a couple. That $18 mill will vanish in a hurry.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 01:15 AM)
The Sox are going to owe raises to Quentin and Danks as well as the escalating contracts of Peavy and Rios, just to name a couple. That $18 mill will vanish in a hurry.

Isn't quentin from Sandiego How about the rumor quentin for gonzales.

Any teams out there that have been in talks about wanting to trade for a front of the rotation starter that we could pull off a 3 team trade where we send Floyd/Danks to that team then Flowers and Danks and say Morel if you have to to the padres, you should get back a couple good spects for floyd/danks and ya send them along with Flowers/Danks/Morel and you should be able to get a deal done and you get to hold onto hudson whom i feel will be as good as danks/floyd if not better

I don't post very often, and I realize what I'm going to propose could be ridiculous, but here goes. What about building a package around Quentin for Gonzalez? Does that make any sense? From our point of view, it seems like its a lot easier to find a corner outfielder than a LH all-star 1B.... thoughts?

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 11:22 AM)
I don't post very often, and I realize what I'm going to propose could be ridiculous, but here goes. What about building a package around Quentin for Gonzalez? Does that make any sense? From our point of view, it seems like its a lot easier to find a corner outfielder than a LH all-star 1B.... thoughts?

You mean like the person 4 posts before you suggested?

If SD would take a TCQ for A-Gon deal, I would pack his bags and drive him to O'Hare. I just dont see the Padres wanting that though, especially since he will have to be paid sooner than a younger prospect and given his injury history.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
Yes. Haven't been through the whole thread.

If you mean TCQ plus some highly touted prospects, AND if one of the outfield prospects we have starts looking good in AAA this season and is close to ready (D2 for example), then I'd say its worth considering.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)

I'd rather mortgage the farm than replace power with other (albeit superior) power.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
I'd rather mortgage the farm than replace power with other (albeit superior) power.

I'd be open to replacing oft-injured power with two years of superior, healthy power. (Of course, that would leave us with Jones in RF, which is a problem.) But if Kenny is looking to blow this team up if it doesn't produce a division title by 2011, this might be a viable route.

That said, I'm sure that SD would want Flowers, Jordan Danks, and others on top of Q, so it's probably not going to happen.

TCQ is about to expensive, which is exactly what the Padres don't want.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
I wouldn't give up Quentin. Him, Gonzalez, and Beckman could be a great long-term 3-4-5.

This is why the Beckham talk didn't make sense. For Gonzalez to push this team over the top, you have to subtract next-to-nothing from the MLB roster.