AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
Now that this probably won't happen, what's next? :unsure:

This was probably never going to happen, it doesn't mean that talks are dead. If anything, that was proven with the Peavy trade.

As a baseball fan in the offseason, all you can do is wait it out and see what happens.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
This was probably never going to happen, it doesn't mean that talks are dead. If anything, that was proven with the Peavy trade.

As a baseball fan in the offseason, all you can do is wait it out and see what happens.

I still think the full takeaway from this report was:

1. KW knows he needs a bigger bat

2. KW is interested in Gonzalez

3. KW would be willing to pay a high price for Gonzalez, but

4. The price for Gonzalez is currently high enough that KW doesn't want to meet it unless he can free up some space somewhere else to make up for what he'd have to lose in terms of prospects.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)

4. The price for Gonzalez is currently high enough that KW doesn't want to meet it unless he can free up some space somewhere else to make up for what he'd have to lose in terms of prospects.

agree, and it justifies the report

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)

Or San Diego thinks it is too early to take an offer on Adrian Gonzalez, because they are waiting for bigger fish to come down the pipeline.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
Or San Diego thinks it is too early to take an offer on Adrian Gonzalez, because they are waiting for bigger fish to come down the pipeline.

In other words...the price is currently too high, because you'd have to beat a hypothetical deal that might not yet have been offered.

My guess is Kenny has contacted the Padres, expressed his interest, and tried to get a feel from the Padres as to exactly what they will be looking for in return. The teams have probably exchanged a few names that would make for a starting point, and the Padres probably responded with "we'll get back to you," as they're going to shop every offer.

Nothing is dead at all. Things will pick up over the winter meetings (Dec. 7-10) and if Gonzalez is dealt (which it looks like he will be) he'll probably get moved either at the winter meetings or shortly afterwards, because Gonzalez will be the Padres' #1 priority. After they do the Gonzalez deal they'll be able to see what pieces they have and when/where those pieces fit into the 2010 picture, and then they'll be able to work on other moves.

So anyway, don't expect anything on this for at least about 2 weeks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
In other words...the price is currently too high, because you'd have to beat a hypothetical deal that might not yet have been offered.

Its not necessarily that the price is too high. I am guessing at this stage of the off season, there is no price they would accept.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 04:59 AM)
Just the fact the Sox are connected to names like Gonzalez and Upton give me pleanty of reason to hope that KW will make some sort of a big splash this winter.. I can't wait for those winter meetings! :gosoxretro:

I agree. It also shows that Kenny seems willing to trade part of the future [with the sox top prospects, ie Hudson, Flowers, which which it would take to land a big bat like Upton or Adrian] in order to win now. I know he's window shopping now, asking what it woudl take to land these guys. But when it comes time to get the credit card out and purchase, he has to know the cost will be his highest prospects.

Isn't it far too likely that Peavy read the Soxnet report like everyone else and mentioned it to this guy? If KW actually told him that they were going after AGon, why would he randomly tell someone he's never met?

I don't doubt that the the Sox are going after AGon, but this doesn't justify the report.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 05:48 AM)
Isn't it far too likely that Peavy read the Soxnet report like everyone else and mentioned it to this guy? If KW actually told him that they were going after AGon, why would he randomly tell someone he's never met?

I don't doubt that the the Sox are going after AGon, but this doesn't justify the report.

So you think it is more likely that the guy is reading us on the internet versus talking to someone in his old organization, or his new one, about things they are trying to do? As big of a fan as I am of what we do here, I still think the latter is the most likely.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
So you think it is more likely that the guy is reading us on the internet versus talking to someone in his old organization, or his new one, about things they are trying to do? As big of a fan as I am of what we do here, I still think the latter is the most likely.

All he had to do was read a newspaper. It's not like he had to read Soxnet. If his only source is an organization, then I do not believe that he would let it slip to a random fan.

I know it is a given that GMs deny everything, but:

Three teams — Boston, Seattle and the Los Angeles Dodgers — are known to have interest in Gonzalez. Hoyer yesterday denied trade rumors linking Gonzalez to the Chicago White Sox and New York Mets.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/no...t-hold-meeting/

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
Yea, GMs do deny everything...didn't Kenny deny Rios?

Go hard after Adrian, Kenny. Go hard.

Hey Kenny Williams if your reading this if you get Adrian Gonzales i will buy season tickets and i live in the Philippines. But i will donate the ticket to a charity or the boys and girls club .

Olney said this a couple hours ago.

Spoke with an executive who was told flat-out: Adrian Gonzalez is not available. Timing isn't right; that might change before July 31, 2010.

Doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot though if you ask me. Things like that generally have to be said, the padres cannot afford to look anymore desperate than they already are.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 06:34 AM)
Olney said this a couple hours ago.

Doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot though if you ask me. Things like that generally have to be said, the padres cannot afford to look anymore desperate than they already are.

Someone said it in the Miguel Cabrera thread, but unless Jed Hoyer wants to become J.P. Riccardi (not trade best trade bait on a bad team at highest value), he'll do it.

What if he gets hurt like Peavy? He's getting closer to free agency, which lessens his value more.

(responding to Olney's blog, not you qwerty)

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)

On that link, teams of interest are the Red Sox, Dodgers, Mariners, Mets, White Sox.

With the Red Sox now pushing for Halladay, they could be crossed off.

The Dodgers are in the division, going through an owners divorce, and apparently in the Miguel Cabrera "hunt". So, that goes against them.

How do the Mariners and Mets farm systems compare with the Sox? If the Red Sox and Dodgers were to be out of the race, the price could be a bit lower...

We could compete in a trade like this and trade a number of prospects, but at what point do you think we have stripped the system enough? Of course with PK going to LAA they will have to kick in at least one or two and us a couple don't you think? Not sure this is really a doable trade though