AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a midseason AGon trade happens, i'd think the M's are the most logical choice. They could be in a playoff chase (unlike the O's), they have an average 1B (unlike Red Sox) and they have better trade pieces than us.

If it gets to next offseason, then the Sox (both colors) have a better shot, since the Padres won't be able to demand high end MLB guys like Ellsbury or Beckham anymore.

Also maybe we get some breakout guys in our system this year that give us better pieces than we have now.

If you're the GM of the Padres, would you go after unproven players like Flowers, Hudson, Danks, Mitchell and Viciedo?

I know I wouldn't. I'd ask for at least one of Ramirez/Beckham/Thornton/Quentin as my starting point. Then I'd target the 2-3 minor leaguers.

Obviously Danks or Floyd aren't going anywhere, although I think a Floyd for Gonzalez swap might get KW's heart beating a little bit faster.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
If you're the GM of the Padres, would you go after unproven players like Flowers, Hudson, Danks, Mitchell and Viciedo?

Frankly, yeah, I would. The teams that are going to be after him are going to be competitive teams, right? How many of them are going to willingly give up a "proven" player, someone who is already contributing to that team?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
Frankly, yeah, I would. The teams that are going to be after him are going to be competitive teams, right? How many of them are going to willingly give up a "proven" player, someone who is already contributing to that team?

Plus, you have to look at it from a cost standpoint as well. These proven players are much closer to being paid than any of the unproven prospects.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)

I know I wouldn't. I'd ask for at least one of Ramirez/Beckham/Thornton/Quentin as my starting point. Then I'd target the 2-3 minor leaguers.

Obviously Danks or Floyd aren't going anywhere, although I think a Floyd for Gonzalez swap might get KW's heart beating a little bit faster.

If I was the GM of the Padres, I also wouldnt have traded Peavy for the crap he got.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 09:57 AM)
If I was the GM of the Padres, I also wouldnt have traded Peavy for the crap he got.

There's a new sheriff in town, and they aren't so desperate to unload money. If they do eventually get Ellsbury in a Gonzalez deal, there's a good chance they will have to pay Ellsbury more than Gonzalez will make in 2011.

Its all about the prospects. It may be a reason the White Sox are more likely to keep a guy like Flowers in AAA. If he shows he's adequate defensively and is raking the ball down there, there is a far better chance of him being attractive to SD than a guy that catches once a week and may struggle initially offensively like most hitters do. Call me crazy, but I believe Flowers has a far better chance to stick on the MLB roster if Gonzalez is not available.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
There's a new sheriff in town, and they aren't so desperate to unload money. If they do eventually get Ellsbury in a Gonzalez deal, there's a good chance they will have to pay Ellsbury more than Gonzalez will make in 2011.

Its all about the prospects. It may be a reason the White Sox are more likely to keep a guy like Flowers in AAA. If he shows he's adequate defensively and is raking the ball down there, there is a far better chance of him being attractive to SD than a guy that catches once a week and may struggle initially offensively like most hitters do. Call me crazy, but I believe Flowers has a far better chance to stick on the MLB roster if Gonzalez is not available.

Ellsbury is close to arbitration and I'm not sure the Padres want to take on that nightmare with Boras as his agent.

My whole premise has been the Pads want cheap MLB ready prospects with all or most of their Pre-Arb years in tact (Which is what Hudson, Flowers, and Morel offer). They have been looking at upgrades for 3rd base, catcher, and starting pitching. They are not in "Win Now" mode as are the WS. So this is why I keep coming back to the theory that with a whole lot of luck these 3 and maybe two other mid level prospects will be having very good years at the July deadline. Hopefully enough to entice Jed Hoyer.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
My whole premise has been the Pads want cheap MLB ready prospects with all or most of their Pre-Arb years in tact (Which is what Hudson, Flowers, and Morel offer). They have been looking at upgrades for 3rd base, catcher, and starting pitching. They are not in "Win Now" mode as are the WS. So this is why I keep coming back to the theory that with a whole lot of luck these 3 and maybe two other mid level prospects will be having very good years at the July deadline. Hopefully enough to entice Jed Hoyer.

Headley and Kouzmanoff (who they send to Oak) are/were better than Morel potential-wise.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
Headley and Kouzmanoff (who they send to Oak) are/were better than Morel potential-wise.

Were either of them thought of as highly defensively as Morel is? Because defense is getting a lot more attention right now than it was a couple years ago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
Were either of them thought of as highly defensively as Morel is? Because defense is getting a lot more attention right now than it was a couple years ago.

I'm not really up on their overall defensive abilities but, I know that Kouz made only 3 errors in almost 1200 innings last year at 3b and SD traded him instead of Headley.

Headley was more disciplined at the plate than Kouz (not saying much) but he is out of practice at 3B - since he was mostly LF the last two years.

I don't know if Morel would be much of an overall upgrade over Headley.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
I'm not really up on their overall defensive abilities but, I know that Kouz made only 3 errors in almost 1200 innings last year at 3b and SD traded him instead of Headley.

Headley was more disciplined at the plate than Kouz (not saying much) but he is out of practice at 3B - since he was mostly LF the last two years.

I don't know if Morel would be much of an overall upgrade over Headley.

Headley can hit a bit better and has great patience at the plate. Kouzmanoff is a damn good fielder at 3B. Headley is a bit more versatile though, can play some LF but will be 3B full-time this year.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
Nothing really new here but Peavy wants A-Gon on the Sox and has already expressed this to Kenny.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1298528...aking-own-pitch

Yeah, I am sure that was a deep conversation...

"Hey Kenny, why don't we get this guy, he is a pretty good hitter."

"No s*** Jake."