AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
I dont understand why people give Cowley the time of day. His claim to fame is insulting Toronto and not standing up for the Canadian national anthem. Or maybe his claim to fame is that he was suspended from voting on the hall of fame, because he was an embarrassment.

As long as he is affiliated with Sun-Times, I wont read their publication. If enough people stop reading the Sun-Times, we wont have to hear from Cowley again.

Amen. It's unfortunate that we have to go through the same thing we went through with Mariotti. I don't care what he says because I ignore him and their paper. It's not that hard. It's not like he brings anything informative to the table.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
This is why I stopped following him on twitter. I don't care who he knows or what he writes, I will not read his stuff because he comes off a real jerk on twitter. I don't know him and he might be a good human, but he really needs to get off of twitter unless he wants to be disliked. I felt this long before any AGon rumor. I dropped him last year. Fortunately we have a lot of other good places to get Sox news and don't even need to look at his paper at all. Maybe he is angry about that. Drop him from twitter unless you want to be pissed off.

I dropped him a long time ago. I didn't buy the ST until his predecessor was gone, and once Cowley decided that his only avenue to success was to try to imitate Mariotti, I quit buying it again. They are the national enquirer of Chicago news. That is their schtick. They know they can't out intellgent or report the Trib, so they out tabloid them. It is a garbage publication.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
Yeah, I love our sites as much as the next guy, but that stuff is pretty one sided.

My guess is that it was done by whoever is running the "FakeJoeCowley" twitter count. That's where I saw it... yea, I follow it. Whoever it is doesnt post often, but I enjoy it.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Cowley>Soxnet.... Cowley has way more sources and is in the locker room, at games, etc. This feud is stupid.

Cowley isn't even smart enough to be original. He is just borrowing Jay Mariottis persona because he knows he can't make it on his own. Call it what you want, but at least Soxnet can stand on its own merits. Cowley is so terrible he has to steal a schtick from the biggest asshole in Chicago.

Cowley>Soxnet.... Cowley has way more sources and is in the locker room, at games, etc. This feud is stupid.

Youre entitled to your opinion.

I dont agree that more access means you have more knowledge. I could sleep in the library of congress, doesnt mean that I have a clue about any of the books in it.

In my opinion, Cowley has shown a complete lack of respect towards baseball and absolute disregard for the truth when it comes to reporting.

If that makes him a meaningful source to you, so be it. But to me his opinion is worth less than a caller on a post game show.

I cant imagine anyone that takes baseball seriously would be suspended from voting on the hall of fame for being an embarrassment.

And Im not sure that you can classify this as a feud.

Cowley isnt very respected in the locker room or by the players, his good sources are personnel and other media people.

As for A-Gon, dont count on it. But I would keep an eye on a big bat down in Houston.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
Cowley isnt very respected in the locker room or by the players, his good sources are personnel and other media people.

As for A-Gon, dont count on it. But I would keep an eye on a big bat down in Houston.

Who are you referring to, and is this something the White Sox have been linked to?

Edited by spiderman

QUOTE (spiderman @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
Who are you referring to, and is this something the White Sox have been linked to?

I'll guess Berkman, but he's a bit expensive:

6 years/$85M (2005-10), plus 2011 club option

signed extension with Houston 3/05, replacing 1 year/$10.5M contract for 2005 signed 1/05, avoiding arbitration ($11M-$10M)

05:$10.5M, 06-10:$14.5M annually, 11:$15M club option ($2M buyout)

full no-trade clause

award bonuses: $0.5M for MVP ($0.35M for 2nd place, $0.25M for 3rd); $50,000 each for WS MVP, LCS MVP; $25,000 each for Silver Slugger, Gold Glove, All Star selection

Berkman to donate $100,000 annually to club charity

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
I'll guess Berkman, but he's a bit expensive:

6 years/$85M (2005-10), plus 2011 club option

signed extension with Houston 3/05, replacing 1 year/$10.5M contract for 2005 signed 1/05, avoiding arbitration ($11M-$10M)

05:$10.5M, 06-10:$14.5M annually, 11:$15M club option ($2M buyout)

full no-trade clause

award bonuses: $0.5M for MVP ($0.35M for 2nd place, $0.25M for 3rd); $50,000 each for WS MVP, LCS MVP; $25,000 each for Silver Slugger, Gold Glove, All Star selection

Berkman to donate $100,000 annually to club charity

I was thinking about this about a week ago and it makes a ton of sense. First of all: I expect the Astros to suck and be probably ~8 back of the Cards by July. Lance took a step back production wise last season at age 33 and will probably put up similar numbers in '10 (~.880-.900 OPS) eliminating any possibility of the Astros picking up that $15M option of his. Would they even offer him arbitration? He makes $14.5M and he'd get the same from an arbitrator, if they're not willing to pick up the option and pay him $13M for 2011 ($15M salary - $2M buyout) would they risk him accepting and making that same number if not more through arbitration in his age 35 season? If they're not going to get anything in return for one of the greatest players in the team's history when he walks at year's end then they have to sell him off at the deadline for a couple very good prospects, you can't just lose a commodity like him for nothing.

By mid July he'll be owed about $6M for the remainder of the season plus his $2M buyout, certainly doable financially (there's always the possibility of getting some cash thrown in in exchange for a little more talent). He's still a kickass left handed hitter (.291/.436/.546/.982 line last season) and would be a hell of a consolation prize when the Sox miss out on Adrian.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
I was thinking about this about a week ago and it makes a ton of sense. First of all: I expect the Astros to suck and be probably ~8 back of the Cards by July. Lance took a step back production wise last season at age 33 and will probably put up similar numbers in '10 (~.880-.900 OPS) eliminating any possibility of the Astros picking up that $15M option of his. Would they even offer him arbitration? He makes $14.5M and he'd get the same from an arbitrator, if they're not willing to pick up the option and pay him $13M for 2011 ($15M salary - $2M buyout) would they risk him accepting and making that same number if not more through arbitration in his age 35 season? If they're not going to get anything in return for one of the greatest players in the team's history when he walks at year's end then they have to sell him off at the deadline for a couple very good prospects, you can't just lose a commodity like him for nothing.

By mid July he'll be owed about $6M for the remainder of the season plus his $2M buyout, certainly doable financially (there's always the possibility of getting some cash thrown in in exchange for a little more talent). He's still a kickass left handed hitter (.291/.436/.546/.982 line last season) and would be a hell of a consolation prize when the Sox miss out on Adrian.

I thought about this too. It's definitely worth a thought if Fielder and Gonzalez aren't obtainable.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
A-Gon is flattered Peavy wants him, but is 100% Padre.

http://danny-knobler.blogs.cbssports.com/m...ntryListMiniCnt

This is the key line...

"I'm flattered that he would want me as a teammate," the Padres first baseman said. "But I don't have any control about it. If [the Padres] trade me, they'll let me know after it happens. I don't even want to hear that they're talking about it."

He has no choice.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
I am being texted by a friend in Chicago that the Score is reporting the Sox are in "serious talks" with the Padres about a Beckham for AGon swap. You guys hearing this?

Please God, no.