Derek Lowe?

League

37 years old

$45M and 3 years remaining on deal

88 ERA+, 1.515 WHIP and 5.1 K/9 in 2009

The Sox already have 5 legitimate starting pitchers

There is no in house replacement for Konerko

Even if you threw in Linebrink that's only $22.5M ($12M for Konerko, $10.5M for Linebrink) on the White Sox's end.

The Sox already have a ton of money locked up for 2010 and will need plenty of room under the budget to sign their arb eligible players, as it stands now there are 6 of them.

How exactly is this a good fit?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
37 years old

Even if you threw in Linebrink that's only $22.5M ($12M for Konerko, $10.5M for Linebrink) on the White Sox's end.

The Sox already have a ton of money locked up for 2010 and will need plenty of room under the budget to sign their arb eligible players, as it stands now there are 6 of them.

This is the kind of rumor that got Soxtalk labeled as trekkie turned bloggers, bra

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
37 years old

If the Braves threw in a good amount of money for the rest of his contract, I could see it being a decent move to allow us to move some one like Floyd for a slugging 1st baseman. I can't imagine it being for anything else.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
Everybody is a possibility right? But, Konerko for another pitcher? What happened to the big rumor about SD and the LAA?

Rosenthal scoffs at SoxNet's story so that he can pull this gem of a rumor out of his backside...

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Rosenthal scoffs at SoxNet's story so that he can pull this gem of a rumor out of his backside...

To be fair, I don't think Rosenthal mentioned anything about the AGon-Konerko thingy.

If they want to offer the guy in Tony's avatar, I might be willing to listen...;)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
I know this is a message board. But is it really necessary to start a thread about every White Sox "rumor", no matter how ridiculous, that pops up on the net or in the papers?

Given the time of year there really isnt much else to do. These unnecessary threads have spawned some of the best talk in PHT in quite some time.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
I know this is a message board. But is it really necessary to start a thread about every White Sox "rumor", no matter how ridiculous, that pops up on the net or in the papers?

Well, we can put it in a catch-all thread, but honestly, what else is there to discuss?

Does the possibility of signing Henry Blanco as our backup catcher REALLY get your blood pumping?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 01:00 AM)

Well, we could always talk about how we shouldn't talk about things, that's always entertaining.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
I wouldn't trade Santana straight up for Lowe, let alone with Wood too.

I hope you realize there was a bit of sarcasm there. Although, Lowe wouldn't be a bad fit for the halos; they're losing Lackey, their starting rotation is looking a bit thin, and they could use a guy who just gives innings.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 07:03 PM)
Given the time of year there really isnt much else to do. These unnecessary threads have spawned some of the best talk in PHT in quite some time.

I understand that. It's just overkill at times to me. "Rangers make Michael Young available." Teams that could be interested: Braves, Phillies, Red Sox, Cubs, Marlins, Yankees, Astros, Twins, Indians, Angels, White Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles.

And inevitably a thread titled "Could the Sox be interested in Michael Young?" would pop up.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
Well, we can put it in a catch-all thread, but honestly, what else is there to discuss?

Nothing much at the moment. I still don't think any rumor that has the name "White Sox" in it deserves its own thread. But that's just me.

Does the possibility of signing Henry Blanco as our backup catcher REALLY get your blood pumping?

Not at all. But at least there's some substance behind it. Not somebody just throwing poop at the wall or trying to fill out an article.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
Well, we could always talk about how we shouldn't talk about things, that's always entertaining.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. In fact, I want the board shutdown. I HATE TALKING ABOUT THINGS ON A MESSAGE BOARD!!!

Edited by Jordan4life

I'd do Linebrink for Lowe + Heyward/Hanson. As unrealistic as that is, that's about what the Braves should have to offer to get somebody else to take on Lowe's horrendous contract.

Whoever said he's not much better than Freddy, I disagree. If Freddy is healthy Freddy is a s*** ton better, and younger, and a ton cheaper. Freddy actually has value.

The Braves should try to get Helton for Lowe since they need a 1B.

Helton: 10:$16.6M/year, 11:$19.1M, 12:$23M club option ($4.6M buyout); guaranteed $40.3M through 2011

Lowe: 10:$15M, 11:$15M, 12:$15M; guaranteed $45M through 2012

Then the Braves could dump Kawakami and use that money to pay for a reliever.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Wood/GMJ/Hudson/Flowers to Pads maybe.

I've mentioned this basic idea before and I think it makes some sense.

Konerko to the Angels

Angels prospects + GMJ + cash in 2011 to the Padres

Sox prospects + Sox send cash for GMJ's 2010 contract to the Padres

Gonzalez to the Sox

The Angels basically swap GMJ with Konerko (nearly equal 2010 contracts) and they send prospects to the Padres because the Sox eat a portion of GMJ's 2010 salary. The Angels don't take a payroll hit in 2010 so they can still work with the same amount they have now, except now their DH hole has been filled with a guy who can sub for Morales when Morales needs a rest. The Angels eat significant cash in 2011 just as they would have to do anyway.

The Sox pay a significant part of GMJ's deal (let's say $8M) in 2010. Because they moved $4M extra in Konerko, they get Gonzalez for the same price they're paying Paulie. This doesn't cut salary, but it saves the Sox from giving up more prospects because they're essentially buying $8M worth of prospects from the Angels and sending them to the Padres.

The Padres move Adrian and get back GMJ on a nice contract plus other prospects as well.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects