Derek Lowe?

League

Teams that have talked to the Braves say they don't want to deal for just another bat. They want a cleanup-hitter kind of bat. So Javy Vazquez, Derek Lowe and Kenshin Kawakami are all out there as big-time Rumor Central fodder. But when teams zero in on Vazquez, they find the Braves are trying to steer the conversations toward Lowe, who has three years and $45 million left on the contract he signed last winter. If the Braves can move Lowe, they're expected to try to work out an extension with Vazquez, who is a year away from free agency. But can Lowe -- who allowed 299 baserunners in 194 2/3 innings -- get them the kind of bat they need? And is there even going to be a true cleanup hitter available, aside from Adrian Gonzalez? Probable answers: No … and no.
Stark doesn't talk about the Sox in this article but I thought this blurb fit here.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
I've mentioned this basic idea before and I think it makes some sense.

Konerko to the Angels

Angels prospects + GMJ + cash in 2011 to the Padres

Sox prospects + Sox send cash for GMJ's 2010 contract to the Padres

Gonzalez to the Sox

The Angels basically swap GMJ with Konerko (nearly equal 2010 contracts) and they send prospects to the Padres because the Sox eat a portion of GMJ's 2010 salary. The Angels don't take a payroll hit in 2010 so they can still work with the same amount they have now, except now their DH hole has been filled with a guy who can sub for Morales when Morales needs a rest. The Angels eat significant cash in 2011 just as they would have to do anyway.

The Sox pay a significant part of GMJ's deal (let's say $8M) in 2010. Because they moved $4M extra in Konerko, they get Gonzalez for the same price they're paying Paulie. This doesn't cut salary, but it saves the Sox from giving up more prospects because they're essentially buying $8M worth of prospects from the Angels and sending them to the Padres.

The Padres move Adrian and get back GMJ on a nice contract plus other prospects as well.

That could work but we would still probably have to send at least 3 prospects to San Diego to get it done but i for one would do it for AGON .