Brandon Allen Revisited...

SouthsideDon48

I don't mean to bring up a subject everyone already beat to death last season, but I'll be honest, I wish we still had Brandon Allen.

Lets just assume that the Adrian Gonzalez rumor will never happen... we could've simply traded Konerko this offseason for a grab-bag of 2 or 3 relievers and then start the 2010 season with Brandon Allen at 1st base.

It just seems like Brandon Allen would've served us well as a lefty first baseman if we cannot get Adrian Gonzalez, and that Konerko could've gotten us better relievers than Tony Pena, not to mention more than one reliever that could've pretty much plugged up our bullpen.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
I don't mean to bring up a subject everyone already beat to death last season, but I'll be honest, I wish we still had Brandon Allen.

Lets just assume that the Adrian Gonzalez rumor will never happen... we could've simply traded Konerko this offseason for a grab-bag of 2 or 3 relievers and then start the 2010 season with Brandon Allen at 1st base.

It just seems like Brandon Allen would've served us well as a lefty first baseman if we cannot get Adrian Gonzalez, and that Konerko could've gotten us better relievers than Tony Pena, not to mention more than one reliever that could've pretty much plugged up our bullpen.

Brandon fanned 40 times in just over 100 AB in the major leagues in 2009. He hit below .200 in the AZ fall league. The D-Backs were close to acquiring Lyle Overbay to play 1B in 2010. Allen is far from ready to help a major league team win anything worthwhile.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
Brandon fanned 40 times in just over 100 AB in the major leagues in 2009. He hit below .200 in the AZ fall league. The D-Backs were close to acquiring Lyle Overbay to play 1B in 2010. Allen is far from ready to help a major league team win anything worthwhile.

Arizona fans hate the trade just as much as most White Sox fans. Anybody who wishes we still had Allen needs to realize he was simply trade bait. That's it. You can dispute what we got for him until you're blue in the face. But he had no future with the club. If you're a White Sox prospect, you're as good as gone (obviously you have exceptions like Beckham).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)

There's always time for adjustments in the majors. You know that. Just because someone puts up a bad stat line in 100 AB's doesn't mean they suck. Overbay is a perfect insurance policy guy if Allen were to struggle. I'm sure that's why they were looking at him, especially if all they had to give up was Chris Snyder.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
There's always time for adjustments in the majors. You know that. Just because someone puts up a bad stat line in 100 AB's doesn't mean they suck. Overbay is a perfect insurance policy guy if Allen were to struggle. I'm sure that's why they were looking at him, especially if all they had to give up was Chris Snyder.

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant that it's extremely doubtful Allen would have any impact for the Sox in 2010 if he were still here. As the OP is suggesting. The reason they (Arizona) was interested in Overbay is because they didn't think Allen was ready and wanted him to start at AAA. Not because they wanted him as an insurance policy. That's what I read anyway.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Brandon Allen isn't a sign, sealed, delivered superstar, i'll never think that Tony Pena was a worthy return, but frankly i'm over it. We've got bigger fish to fry at this point.

Spot on, what from I've said here for a while and agreed 100%.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)

The White Sox can still trade Paul Konerko (assuming he would accept a trade elsewhere) and then open the season with Mark Kotsay and/or some other cheap option.

My point is, trading or keeping Paul Konerko doesn't hinge on Brandon Allen being here.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 09:39 PM)
I posted a bunch of quotes from the Arizona board at MLB.COM after the trade was made. They blasted the s*** out of it. Just google the Allen trade thread. They're in there somewhere.

Yeah, but about 3 weeks after the trade when Allen started tearing up AAA, they changed their minds and were declaring Josh Byrnes a genius for the move.

I'm not upset we traded Allen. I just wish we had gotten more for him than Pena.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Arizona fans hate the trade just as much as most White Sox fans. Anybody who wishes we still had Allen needs to realize he was simply trade bait. That's it. You can dispute what we got for him until you're blue in the face. But he had no future with the club. If you're a White Sox prospect, you're as good as gone (obviously you have exceptions like Beckham).

They're still very bitter about the Quentin trade...so they think they're gettin' the corn cob with any Sox trade from here on out.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)

There was a scout on ESPN about a month ago talking about Allen. He didn't believe Allen was anywhere near ready to be a regular in the majors and questioned if he ever would be, of course scouts have been wrong like everyone else, but there are more signs that Allen isn't ready to contribute than there are signs he is.

As for the 100 ABs, if he had the 100 ABs with the White Sox and did the same thing, it would be because of Greg Walker, at least on this board.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
There was a scout on ESPN about a month ago talking about Allen. He didn't believe Allen was anywhere near ready to be a regular in the majors and questioned if he ever would be, of course scouts have been wrong like everyone else, but there are more signs that Allen isn't ready to contribute than there are signs he is.

As for the 100 ABs, if he had the 100 ABs with the White Sox and did the same thing, it would be because of Greg Walker, at least on this board.

Dick, it is a long offseason. Please leave your personal hangups at the door as much as possible, your constant repitition of this petty argument is just childish at this point.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
Dick, it is a long offseason. Please leave your personal hangups at the door as much as possible, your constant repitition of this petty argument is just childish at this point.

No, actually he is making a valid point, that I think needs to be stressed. Players are bad because they are bad, not because of some inane coaching argument.

I'm already not looking forward to the "Alex Rios sucks I blame Walker" threads that are headed our way in 2010.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
No, actually he is making a valid point, that I think needs to be stressed. Players are bad because they are bad, not because of some inane coaching argument.

I'm already not looking forward to the "Alex Rios sucks I blame Walker" threads that are headed our way in 2010.

This point has been stressed so much it is broken. It is not valid, now it is dragging into threads that it doesnt need to be for no reason other than to cause another argument over subject matter not pertaining to the thread subject. Just like the needless Rudy Jaramillo reference in the Adrian Gonzalez thread in Diamond Talk.

All the Sox could get for Allen was Tony Pena. I did it in the Iwamura trade thread, but the Rays actually got back a worse reliever than Tony Pena, statistically, and Iwamura has proven a hell of a lot more than Brandon Allen. That is just the going rate for cheap and under control relievers who are in their prime age years.

To make it as an above-average 1b in MLB...Allen is going to have to be sooo good.

We might regret grabbing Peña but we wont see this as a colossal mistake unless something really crazy happens with Allen. We probably shouldnt revisit this for awhile it's like waiting for a comet

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 04:17 AM)
I think Tony Pena will be very good in 2010. In the long run we will all like that trade .

I agree, Tony Pena will be good in 2010. A whole spring training with the sox, working with cooper, & a new season to start over. He just has a few things to get him where he needs to be & we could have another nasty reliever to go with Big Bad Bobby & Thorton.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)

He brings it up in threads that have nothing to do with Walker, then will complain about others talking about Walker too much.