Coop’s challenge to the White Sox Pitchers.

ThunderBolt

Here's an article with Coop's annual "all you bastards better get in shape" speech. There are some strong indicators here that this organization is more then open to the possibility that Jenksy is going to be here next year. Warning this is a Cowley article. Read at your own risk

Here's some of the more enlightening passages from the Cowley opus: Don Cooper Tells Pitchers It's time to Raise the Bar

"We're asking Bobby to raise the bar. Bobby is a big dude that sometimes may look like he's not in shape. He needs to raise the bar. I tell them all, 'I need you in the best shape of your life come spring training, physically and mentally.' We're challenging these guys."

And later,

"Reinsdorf let the players know his feelings on the topic, telling them in a team meeting late in the year that they had better show up in shape.

"The players have to take some pride,'' Cooper said. "The best motivation for anyone ready to go in spring comes from inside.

"We're asking Bobby to raise the bar. Bobby is a big dude that sometimes may look like he's not in shape. He needs to raise the bar. I tell them all, 'I need you in the best shape of your life come spring training, physically and mentally.' We're challenging these guys.

"If we're not looking to improve, what are we doing? We're standing still then. We're raising the bar for everyone. We're not trying to hurt people. The words are 'Hey, we need you ready for the grind.' If one guy is behind the curve ... we need everybody. These words are not to bust chops or hurt you. We want this taken care of, no matter who it is.

"Success, everyone has to pay a certain price - some higher than others because they aren't as physically gifted. I fill like the Sox pitching staff has represented itself well over the years, now we're asking them to raise the bar. Plus, you know you're prepared for the season because you pushed yourself to level that you never did before.''

Jenks had been the subject of trade rumors heading into the winter, especially because he stands to make $7-$8 million in arbitration. So he was already under a microscope.

General manager Ken Williams has all but put a moratorium on any Jenks trade talk. So how exactly will this end?

"When they all walk through those doors this spring,'' Cooper added, "we want everything behind them, everything. We want one focus, and that's winning the game that day.''

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/11...its_time_t.html

Edited by Thunderbolt

Here's what I think:

I really don't think there is any way the Sox non tender Jenks. I also don't think teams will want to pay him his arb figure and/or give up anything to acquire him. I think the Sox go to arb, get the non guaranteed contract, and if Jenks comes to spring training looking like a slob throwing 91 and not doing the job, seeing him get released or if he's in decent shape throwing well, he'll be worth the check.

Edited by Dick Allen

I may be in the minority but I still love Bobby and think he can be a top closer.

I wouldn't be against Thornton working the ninth once in a while as well.

Why can't Thornton be our main set up guy (in games that matter) and still close once every fourth or fifth save situation?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
Here's an article with Coop's annual "all you bastards better get in shape" speech. There are some strong indicators here that this organization is more then open to the possibility that Jenksy is going to be here next year. Warning this is a Cowley article. Read at your own risk

Here's some of the more enlightening passages from the Cowley opus: Don Cooper Tells Pitchers It's time to Raise the Bar

"We're asking Bobby to raise the bar. Bobby is a big dude that sometimes may look like he's not in shape. He needs to raise the bar. I tell them all, 'I need you in the best shape of your life come spring training, physically and mentally.' We're challenging these guys."

And later,

"Reinsdorf let the players know his feelings on the topic, telling them in a team meeting late in the year that they had better show up in shape.

"The players have to take some pride,'' Cooper said. "The best motivation for anyone ready to go in spring comes from inside.

"We're asking Bobby to raise the bar. Bobby is a big dude that sometimes may look like he's not in shape. He needs to raise the bar. I tell them all, 'I need you in the best shape of your life come spring training, physically and mentally.' We're challenging these guys.

"If we're not looking to improve, what are we doing? We're standing still then. We're raising the bar for everyone. We're not trying to hurt people. The words are 'Hey, we need you ready for the grind.' If one guy is behind the curve ... we need everybody. These words are not to bust chops or hurt you. We want this taken care of, no matter who it is.

"Success, everyone has to pay a certain price - some higher than others because they aren't as physically gifted. I fill like the Sox pitching staff has represented itself well over the years, now we're asking them to raise the bar. Plus, you know you're prepared for the season because you pushed yourself to level that you never did before.''

Jenks had been the subject of trade rumors heading into the winter, especially because he stands to make $7-$8 million in arbitration. So he was already under a microscope.

General manager Ken Williams has all but put a moratorium on any Jenks trade talk. So how exactly will this end?

"When they all walk through those doors this spring,'' Cooper added, "we want everything behind them, everything. We want one focus, and that's winning the game that day.''

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/11...its_time_t.html

You would think that being a professional baseball player and being that is your career you wouldn't have to tell them to be in shape . i spent 23yrs in the U.S NAVY as a SEAL and i know i was in better shape then most major league baseball players and never did anybody have to tell me and i was making much less money then these guys make .

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
You would think that being a professional baseball player and being that is your career you wouldn't have to tell them to be in shape . i spent 23yrs in the U.S NAVY as a SEAL and i know i was in better shape then most major league baseball players and never did anybody have to tell me and i was making much less money then these guys make .

Yes, but you are out of shape people are in danger. If a baseball player is out of shape......they still get paid.

When were you in? A good buddy of mine (Mike) was the Physical therapist at Coronado (sp?) from the late 90's to early 2000's. Excellent facilties.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
Yes, but you are out of shape people are in danger. If a baseball player is out of shape......they still get paid.

When were you in? A good buddy of mine (Mike) was the Physical therapist at Coronado (sp?) from the late 90's to early 2000's. Excellent facilties.

i was in from 1980 to 2003 i went though SEAL training in Coronado but that was in 1981 . i spent most of my career overseas places like the Philippines Japan Korea Kuwait and Afghanistan but when i was in the states i was in San Diego .

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)

If you get to out of shape especially if your SEAL they kick you out of the service .

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)

I agree with you. This is their job and they can make more money than they ever dreamed of making. To think you would still have to push someone to be in shape seems ludicrous. Most are done playing by the time they are 40, then they can let themselves go, but give it your best effort while under contract. I know guys will point out successful players like Tony Gwynn or now CC Sabathia where fitness didn't seem to matter, but who knows, if Gwynn had a 34 inch waist instead of 42, maybe he even would have been better. Who knows how long CC lasts. People will mention Babe Ruth, but if anything, these guys are the exception, not the rule. Most guys with weight issues are done playing far sooner than they probably planned. It eventually will catch up to you if you're not an athlete. It catches up to you more quickly if you are one competing with people who do keep in shape.