Official: Omar Vizquel Signs with Sox

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 08:57 PM)
The only problem with that: if he's sent out to pinch hit, the other team knows to expect a bunt, because they know that he can't hit.

You act like the guy can't even swing a bat just cuz he'll be 43. The guy was hitting .299 in August last year. Even had 2 triples in 177 AB . Rios had 2 in 582 AB and Alexei 2 in 542 AB. Yes he is a very good bunter but that's not the only thing he can do. 10 of his 47 hits were for extra bases or 1 every 4.7 hits. Alexei had 30 XBH with 150 hits or 1 every 5 hits.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lakervin @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
if the vizquel signing is true im one who likes it.

It's true. There will be another signing announced as well, probably on Monday but I am not allowed to say who it is. Its another reclamation project. Most people will probably not be as excited about it as Vizquel but you could argue this guy has a lot more upside. And hes cheap.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
It's true. There will be another signing announced as well, probably on Monday but I am not allowed to say who it is. Its another reclamation project. Most people will probably not be as excited about it as Vizquel but you could argue this guy has a lot more upside. And hes cheap.

Hmm....very interesting...

Who could we possibly be signing as another reclamation project that has a lot more upside, but who is not as exciting as Vizquel? That seems somewhat oxymoronic...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
Hmm....very interesting...

Who could we possibly be signing as another reclamation project that has a lot more upside, but who is not as exciting as Vizquel? That seems somewhat oxymoronic...

This is really a shot in the dark, but I've been thinking about the possibility of going after Joaquin Benoit all offseason.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)

Coco Crisp? I also wouldn't mind Kelvim Escobar for the bullpen/ rotation. Sign him on an incentive laden deal ala Colon in 2009. The sox would then have a pipeline of Venezuelan's with Freddy, Omar and Kelvim

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
I've seen stories lately of a formerly very good pitcher rehabbing from injury and surgery, who could be had for cheap. That's more what I was thinking here.

I don't think he would sign so early...he has nothing to gain by signing early for a low salary. He's got plenty of potential suitors...especially with a weak pitching crop.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
Bird in hand. In this market, an early offer a little below what you wanted would have to be very tempting.

He's going to sign a contract worth several million dollars in incentives, in my opinion.

I don't think we are interested in spending $4-6 million on another injury-risk starter at this juncture.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
He's going to sign a contract worth several million dollars in incentives, in my opinion.

I don't think we are interested in spending $4-6 million on another injury-risk starter at this juncture.

Not at that price, no. But I don't think he gets that much. I think he gets no more than $1-2M guaranteed, plus incentives, and may not even get a guaranteed major league deal. I might be interested in that $1M+incentives number, as I think he's got more potential to be very good than Garcia does.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)

I agree. Sheets isn't likely. He's on the high end of reclamation projects in terms of salary/ incentives. If it were a pitcher, I'd bet it would be someone who could also throw in the bullpen. That's why I was thinking Escobar. Plus, the sox did deals with Colon and Freddy kind of what Escobar would probably be expecting for 2010.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
my guess is wilson betemit

naw i think its gonna be a head scratcher move like really??? why _____? this guy blows. and then its gonna turn out that hes a stud.... like chad tracy or somethin. [/color]or mark prior

I think its probably someone like Justin Speier, or Eric Gagne or Paul LoDuca.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
I'm thinking pitcher as well. I can't imagine we sign another reclamation project that's a fielder, I mean, besides backup C, what is left that wouldn't be starting. And if they are to be starting - fml.

He did say its someone who isn't as exciting as Vizquel and I don't think anyone fell off their chairs when the Vizquel news broke, so you are probably right. Maybe it is Blanco, but I don't think he would count as a reclimation project, and he did say probably higher upside, so that would hint at pitcher.

Edited by Dick Allen