Official: Omar Vizquel Signs with Sox

AWhiteSoxinNJ

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Suntimes.com - Joe Cowley

Ozzie Guillen would like to confidently admit that the White Sox are indeed close to signing free agent shortstop Omar Vizquel for the 2010 season, but then again, the manager knows how it works.

Making sure the free-speaking Guillen doesn't jump the gun on club business, general manager Ken Williams and assistant GM Rick Hahn have done their best to keep Guillen just on the outskirts of the circle of trust.

Guillen did confirm on Friday that both he and the club have spoken to Vizquel about him joining the team, but the manager didn't know how far those talks have progressed.

"I hear they are talking,'' Guillen said in a phone interview. "I've talked to Vizquel in the past, but they aren't telling me anything. I just got back from Venezuela, and I guess Kenny and Rick didn't want me running my mouth down there.

"I'll tell you what, though, if this kid is on the team there's no way in hell he's wearing No. 13.''

Guillen has worn 13 his whole career, so sorry Omar.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
With Ozzie making the lineup I'm sure he's going to be starting a lot more games than people would like.

Over Beckham, Alexei and Teahen? This isn't Darin Erstad, we actually have legit big league players at the positions Vizquel plays.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
Teahen in right field.

Teahen's already been named the 3B and we don't even know who will be the othe corner OF or DH so it's a little eary to star discussing lineup juggling.

I don't see how even the most cynical among us could believe that Vizquel is being brought in to start or split playing time with one of the infielders.

Some people are reacting as if we're giving Vizquel $5-10M and handing him the starting SS position. This move just gives us a cheap and experienced bench player and won't take away from any other efforts. And it sure puts us in a better position than we were at the start of last year, when just about our entire bench and parts of our starting lineup had no business being on a major league roster.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Over Beckham, Alexei and Teahen? This isn't Darin Erstad, we actually have legit big league players at the positions Vizquel plays.

I just wish I read this thread and believed you were right. As frustrated as Ozzie seemingly was with Alexei this year...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
Chisox,

Exactly, if Ozzie isnt in the loop why are his comments on this trade relevant?

Its just odd to write about the Vizquel deal and use quotes from some one who admits they arent in the loop.

Because he's the manager of the White Sox?

Not too many people I can think of who might have more relevant thoughts than him... I definitely can count them on one hand.

Well I can name countless people who have more relevant thoughts (KW, Hahn, Reinsdorf, KW's assistant, Hahn's assistant, anyone who is working on the potential contract, Vizquel's agent, Vizquel's agents assistant):

IE Those people who are in the loop.

Conversely, if the question was about "Where will Vizquel play" or "How will Vizquel be used", Ozzie would be the most relevant source.

Just because Ozzie is the manager of the White Sox, does not mean he has relevant information about trades.

Ozzie himself admits this:

"I hear they are talking,'' Guillen said in a phone interview. "I've talked to Vizquel in the past, but they aren't telling me anything. I just got back from Venezuela, and I guess Kenny and Rick didn't want me running my mouth down there.

Notice how he says "They aren't telling me anything."

If he isnt being told anything, how does he have relevant information?

I understand that Ozzie as manager, may be in the loop, but since he explicitly states that he is not, I just dont understand why hes being quoted on this potential deal. Unless the premise of the article is to show that Ozzie isnt being kept in the loop on trades because he leaks things.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
I think that Beckham 3B, Vizquel SS, Ramirez 2B would be a better defensive setup than Teahen 3B, Ramirez SS, Beckham 2B.

Is Teahen's bat good enough to balance his 3B defense?

Actually, Teahen-Vizquel-Ramirez or Teahen-Ramirez-Vizquel would be the best defensive alignment. Obviously, that's not going to happen.