Singular Form of Sox

Marky Mark

I always see a lot of people on Soxtalk say "Sox" when talking about a singular individual (i.e. Mark Buehrle is my favorite White Sox). Does this seem right to you guys? I feel like when talking about a person in this context you should refer to him as "Mark Buehrle is my favorite White Sox player." Or do you feel like the word Sox matches the pronounciation of sock and socks taking on both singular and plural? We gotta clear this up.

Are you guys on the same page or am I crazy?

When using the singular, I always say "sock." It makes sense verbally, but it looks funny when you type it so I just reword my sentence to make it apply:

So instead of "Mark Buehrle is my favorite sock" I'd say "Mark Buehrle is my favorite player on the Sox."

It bothers the hell out of me when someone says so and so is my favorite Sox. It sounds stupid to me.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
I remember seeing a trivia question that asked for the names of the teams who are not plural like the Heat or the Lightning and both Sox were on that list.

If you're talking about the sporcle quiz, it just asks for the professional teams that do not end in an "S."

Well how would you say a singular bears player?

"Hester is my favorite bear."

Then you would be saying Hester is an animal, not a football player.... Come on. Who the fock cares?

Man, we need baseball again. Someone start fake rumors (I'm talking to you, Bruce Levine) or something already.

P.S. How is this still in Pale Hose Talk?

I've had threads that were 3% non baseball related and they were moved within 5 minutes of me posting it.