Hideki Matsui

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
Kal, I know you're just guessing like the rest of us, but what kind of deal do you see Matsui looking for?

My guess is his agent will use Abreu's contract as a starting point (2/$19) and would reasonable accept 2/$15m...

You hit it on the head IMO. He'll get a 2 year deal from someone worth $7M+ per. He'd be looking at more if anyone in baseball thought he was capable of playing the field even on an occasional basis.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
You hit it on the head IMO. He'll get a 2 year deal from someone worth $7M+ per. He'd be looking at more if anyone in baseball thought he was capable of playing the field even on an occasional basis.

What team is going to offer him that kind of money?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
After already signing Jr. to do the exact same thing except while not being Japanese?

Good point. I wonder if the influx of money from the Japanese market would still apply to Seattle anyways, since they actually have a huge chunk of that market. Seems like one of those "law of diminishing returns" kind of things...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
After already signing Jr. to do the exact same thing except while not being Japanese?

That Griffey deal was a goodwill contract. He's not being counted on give them much in 2010 and will only make $1M-$1.5M to sell a few tickets and keep their relationship with Griffey strong. Jack Zduriencik has already mentioned acquiring another, more full-time designated hitter and with contract negotiations with Russell Branyan (one of the few guys who did anything for them last year) not going anywhere and their need to improve upon an absolutely terrible 2009 offense they're not going to rule out Hideki Matsui.

I also think there's a good chance he returns to the Yankees. The Angels, Rangers, Rays (if Burrell is dealt) and even the Orioles are all options.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
That Griffey deal was a goodwill contract. He's not being counted on give them much in 2010 and will only make $1M-$1.5M to sell a few tickets and keep their relationship with Griffey strong. Jack Zduriencik has already mentioned acquiring another, more full-time designated hitter and with contract negotiations with Russell Branyan (one of the few guys who did anything for them last year) not going anywhere and their need to improve upon an absolutely terrible 2009 offense they're not going to rule out Hideki Matsui.

I also think there's a good chance he returns to the Yankees.

I think he could wind up in either of those spots...I just don't think that with this many DH's on the market, there's going to be people willing to give 2/$15+ to a guy like Matsui. There's just more DH's available than there are people who need them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
I think he could wind up in either of those spots...I just don't think that with this many DH's on the market, there's going to be people willing to give 2/$15+ to a guy like Matsui. There's just more DH's available than there are people who need them.

Well, the Yankees have estimated his presence brings about $15-20 million because of the benefits of having a Japanese demographic involved. If that sort of influx would translate to other markets besides NY, then he could very well pay for himself, basically.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
That Griffey deal was a goodwill contract. He's not being counted on give them much in 2010 and will only make $1M-$1.5M to sell a few tickets and keep their relationship with Griffey strong.

Griffey could have fit in with the Sox again as a lefty DH if that's the case.

You really think that he's "done" as a player?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
The fit makes perfect sense. We need a left-handed power bat at one of two spots (DH/OF). He should put up a .280/.365/.480 line. IMO, he'd be a fantastic addition as our DH if signed to a reasonable 2 year contract.

Why wouldn't you be thrilled? Who would your prefer?

I really couldn't give you a name because the FA market this winter is just awful. I guess my huge concern with Matsui is whether he will be able to stay healthy for a period of time.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
Does anyone have a friend they would change jobs to work with? Anyone they would take their second, third, or fourth place job pick for? Any friend so great they would take a pay cut to work with? How about working with someone because they are also white, Asian, black, etc.? I just never get the "lets get an albino so more albinos will work for us" thinking. When has that ever really happened?

Awesome post.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
Does anyone have a friend they would change jobs to work with? Anyone they would take their second, third, or fourth place job pick for? Any friend so great they would take a pay cut to work with? How about working with someone because they are also white, Asian, black, etc.? I just never get the "lets get an albino so more albinos will work for us" thinking. When has that ever really happened?

If I was friends with Jenna Jameson, I would definitely change jobs to "work" with her...;)

Honestly, I think this happens a lot with sports/actors/musicians more so than anything else...

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)

i think hes perfect for a team that isnt going to do anything like the mariners,royals,o's etc. but when ur trying to win a w.s., he'll hurt you more than he'll help you,playing everday. you need more production than that

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)

Yeah, he's not going to give you much at this point, even if he could hit his body isn't going to hold up over more than a half a season's worth of games and he's not a good option in a platton. Thome's not going to make significantly more than Griffey but he does have significantly more left in the tank, so if the Sox do go the ~40 year old, lefty DH route it should be Big Jim.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 06:42 PM)
i think hes perfect for a team that isnt going to do anything like the mariners,royals,o's etc. but when ur trying to win a w.s., he'll hurt you more than he'll help you,playing everday. you need more production than that

The Mariners did win 85 games last year, they're not cellar dwellers. They just gave up on trying to score runs last season and instead won games with kickass pitching and some of the best team defense you're ever going to see.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
Yeah, he's not going to give you much at this point, even if he could hit his body isn't going to hold up over more than a half a season's worth of games and he's not a good option in a platton. Thome's not going to make significantly more than Griffey but he does have significantly more left in the tank, so if the Sox do go the ~40 year old, lefty DH route it should be Big Jim.

isnt it time to move on with that though?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)

Not if he can give us a >.850 OPS and 20-25 HR out of the DH spot somewhere around the middle-latter part of our order while being paid only a couple million dollars.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)

Not if you can't find another big bat to fill that spot. Slappy McSlappington isn't going to work for me as a designated hitter, if we're not going to greatly improve the offense in other areas then I have no problem turning to Thome, Vlad or the like.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)
Seattle.

Why does everyone assume he would play in Seattle? Matsui doesn't have a good relationship with Ichiro. In fact, it's been long talked about that they don't like each other. Just recently, Matsui backed out of the WBC when Ichiro committed. Their rivalry supposedly goes back to when they were teenagers. Just because they are from the same country doesn't mean they want to play with together. Look at Renteria and Orlando Cabrera.