Sox ask Tampa Bay about BJ Upton

Dick Allen

Supposedly the Sox have made some inquiries into getting BJ Upton. That would definitely make Teahan a 3B.

Sox Interested in Upton; Omogrosso & Vizquel Updates

By Jason Gage

SoxNet.net

The St. Petersburg Times reported on Sunday that the Chicago White Sox have been amongst the teams to show interest in Tampa Bay Ray outfielder and former No. 2 overall draft pick BJ Upton....MORE

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
Recently. Its a blurb in a Tampa paper.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/ra...catcher/1053598

I wonder what Cowley thinks.

Upton's the kind of guy that I'd really hate to overpay for and then have him go all Delmon Young on us. So talented but seems like he's been struggling forever.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Upton's the kind of guy that I'd really hate to overpay for and then have him go all Delmon Young on us. So talented but seems like he's been struggling forever.

Yeah, he has been struggling massively....I think he has a lot more talent than Young though....his grasp of the strike zone makes him incredibly more value...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)

He was really good in 2007. 2008 he had wrist issues but still had a decent year except for power. Last year he wasn't good. He has also been known not to exactly give his all. He has a ton of talent. If you could get him reasonably, he could be a star.

I really abhor the idea of Mark Teahen in RF, and Figgins and Beltre are the only two guys on the market that I can think of who would push Teahen out of 3B. Beltre seems to be garnering lots of interest, and with Borass being his agent, that's probably not happening. Figgins is also unlikely, but if we did get him I'd much rather have Figgins in CF with Teahen at 3B or Figgins at 3B with Teahen on the bench. Please no Teahen in the OF.

As for Upton, as long as we're only talking MiLB talent, he's worth whatever it is we give up. I'd much rather target Adrian first as the main priority, but I definitely wouldn't be upset about going after an uber-talent like Upton. He'll cost a ton though.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
As for Upton, as long as we're only talking MiLB talent, he's worth whatever it is we give up. I'd much rather target Adrian first as the main priority, but I definitely wouldn't be upset about going after an uber-talent like Upton. He'll cost a ton though.

Would you do Hudson straight up for Upton?

FWIW, my Dad lives in the Tampa area and said fans were really down on Upton last year. I think some was a matter of him hitting in the leadoff spot with a batting avg. near the Mendoza line--even though that should have been on Maddon.

I could see TB asking for Flowers and Hudson.

I've said it in the past how much I love B.j. Upton. His potential (not to mention his incredible discipline) would be just lovely to have here. It won't mean that Teahan would have to play RF as people keep saying. Remember.. Alex Rios would still need a position. (which he would probably move back to RF) But I won't get too far ahead of myself since I doubt this would get done. :D

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Upton would definitely cost a lot...unsure if he'd be worth it.

Since we already have a guy who can hopefully play a solid CF for us...our need for Upton is a little less than what other teams might have, esp. if he can't work as a leadoff hitter. It really doesn't make sense for this team to overpay for him. The thing that it would make sense for this team to overpay for would be a corner OF or a really big, 40 HR type bat somewhere on the field.

If we're going to deal for Upton, we better feel like the Rays sold low.

Upton has a world of talent. We're talking a guy who could put up 30-40. If he could ever get his s*** together. His problem is that he's lazy, the minute he gets his head in the game, he'll set the world on fire. Look at his results in the playoffs when he has something to play for there's no stopping him.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
Upton has a world of talent. We're talking a guy who could put up 30-40. If he could ever get his s*** together. His problem is that he's lazy, the minute he gets his head in the game, he'll set the world on fire. Look at his results in the playoffs when he has something to play for there's no stopping him.

And he has injury problems too, it seems.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
What's upton's contract/Arb status?

Upton will end [2009] with about 2.050 (years.days) of service time. He won't qualify for Super-Two status and he won't reach arbitration until after [2010]. Upton won't be a free agent until after the 2012 season.

http://www.draysbay.com/2008/8/4/585960/th...about-b-j-upton

Hmm..

Okay, that's not as bad as I thought.

With arb though, he could be pulling down 9-10 mil a year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)

Great, now I just pictured Alexei and Upton meeting in between SS and CF and playing tag during a game.

We need to get these guys to focus.

That or make them watch High School Musical's "Getcha Head in the Game" a million times till they get sick of it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
http://www.draysbay.com/2008/8/4/585960/th...about-b-j-upton

Hmm..

Okay, that's not as bad as I thought.

With arb though, he could be pulling down 9-10 mil a year.

I don't get it...if he won't reach arbitration until after 2010, he won't be a free agent until after 2013...

And he likely wouldn't reach $9-10 million until 2012 or 2013...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
I don't get it...if he won't reach arbitration until after 2010, he won't be a free agent until after 2013...

And he likely wouldn't reach $9-10 million until 2012 or 2013...

If he had the kind of year it looked like he was capable of, he could legit ask for $8-10 mil as an opening arbitration bid. Ryan Howard won a $10 million bid a year or so ago didn't he?

But of course, if he hit that well we'd probably have a world series under our belts, so we might not mind.