Is anyone as nervous as I am?

ozzfest

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
None of that changes the money that they have never seen from luxury suites and the amenities of a new place. And the big thing is that you don't sell an area on a new stadium, and then not bring back your superstars. You might as well contract the team at that poin.

Yes, I think they will try very hard to bring back Mauer by signing him to a long-term deal that goes well beyond the current expiration in 2010. That's where all of those additional millions might go. I don't see any sign that the Twins are about to step up and compete to sign the top free agents that are out there (Holliday, Bay, Figgins, Lackey). I think they are going to be challenged just to keep Mauer. That leaves them with roughly the same roster as they have now (but with some retooling to do, to adapt to the outdoor stadium - slap-hitting speedster Carlos Gomez is already gone), and they are giving up the #1 home field advantage in baseball. All Twins opponents, not just the Sox, will enjoy playing in Target Field more than the Twinkiedome, and will have more success there.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 04:08 AM)
Yes, I think they will try very hard to bring back Mauer by signing him to a long-term deal that goes well beyond the current expiration in 2010. That's where all of those additional millions might go. I don't see any sign that the Twins are about to step up and compete to sign the top free agents that are out there (Holliday, Bay, Figgins, Lackey). I think they are going to be challenged just to keep Mauer. That leaves them with roughly the same roster as they have now (but with some retooling to do, to adapt to the outdoor stadium - slap-hitting speedster Carlos Gomez is already gone), and they are giving up the #1 home field advantage in baseball. All Twins opponents, not just the Sox, will enjoy playing in Target Field more than the Twinkiedome, and will have more success there.

yeah they got rid of gomez and got hardy for ss they just improved there team . don't tell me hardy is not a upgrade to harris or even cabrera . And i am 95 percent sure they will resign Mauer and if they don't they will trade him ? There lineup is much better then our lineup losing gomez was no big deal as span is there starting CF . And yes they won't be signing big name free agents but we don't either but they will sign a couple of players to fill 3rd or maybe 2nd they have less holes then we do also . there farm team is deeper then ours . And as far as that number 1 home field advantage i believe Boston the Yankees had more of a home field advantage and if you really believe they won't be able to play in cold weather and that will make them a bad team your not being realistic most of the time there 6 games out in late june and july and then here they come . I mean look at last year they were winning on the road they swept us at home as they chased down the tigers they were at one point they were 7 games out in august. I am a diehard white sox fan but i will give credit when credit is due and to think they won't be a very good team because there playing out doors now is silly . We should all be happy they can't spend money the way we can or Detroit other wise we really be in trouble look at some of the players they had to trade my god also cleveland and now Detroit . Well i for one hope they do resign Mauer i like to see teams being able to keep there top player and not lose them to free agency . ANYWAY ;) :gosoxretro:

Edited by 1977 sox fan

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
I just don't see a playoff contender with this lineup at all this year. The only thing I am looking forward to this year is our starting rotation....I think our starting pitching is potentially the best in the bigs.

I know people are going to tell me that Kenny isn't close to being done or that I'm jumping the gun, but I really believe that what you see right now is what your going to have opening day. Let's simply go around the horn and talk about our starters.

C-AJP-----Love AJ but cant throw anyone out.

1B-PK-----Solid power numbers every year, but getting older and very overpaid.

2B-GB---Kenny over managed this situation and should have left him at third, he was playing great. Kalapse thinks he's not going to have a sophomore slump so....that's that.

SS-Alexei- I love his potential, but I think this guy is a bonehead. He is asleep at the wheel at short. Can't hit a curveball.

3B-Teahen-One word- Mediocrity.

OF-Rios-Who knows?

OF-Quentin- If he can stay healthy he can carry the offense as we witnessed two years ago....but that's a big if

OF-FA signing or trade-----feel free to throw around ideas for this one...no idea what were going to do.

Can anyone explain to me how this lineup can possibly win anything past our division?

If only Obama put the White Sox as part of the bailout .......

This is just as likely as it is for every team in baseball. Your assumption is that the worst case scenario is only applicable to the Sox.