Free Agent Tracker

Heads22

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
$18M total. That's an incredible haul for Polanco.

I'm curious as to what Boras' asking price is for Adrian Beltre if the Phillies would rather shell out $18M for a 34 year old Placido Polanco who had a down year at the plate in 2009 and hasn't played the position since 2005 and a total of 153 INN since 2003.

He hasn't played 3B since 05. I don't know how the Phillies came up with this plan...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
And the Raul Ibanez contract ain't lookin' like the bargain it was after he fell off considerably in the second half. That's the 'danger' when you're in win-now mode.

Raul still has a couple of years left in him. Just not the type of year he had last year.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
$18M total. That's an incredible haul for Polanco.

I'm curious as to what Boras' asking price is for Adrian Beltre if the Phillies would rather shell out $18M for a 34 year old Placido Polanco who had a down year at the plate in 2009 and hasn't played the position since 2005 and a total of 153 INN since 2003.

If this turns out to be true (the Polanco signing), it really puts a damper on my Beltre to the Sox dreams. There's "win-now" and there's just plain not smart. This is the latter.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Saito signs with Atlanta. $3 million for one year. How many old relievers do the Braves need?

Seems like a very good deal, definitely one we could have offered.

Wagner/Saito for 1 year each at 10 million total is solid. Assuming both are healthy, they'll be just fine in the NL.

Seriously, someone help me. Did they change the rules to free agent compensation and no one told me? From Rotoworld:

The Giants have Adrian Beltre, Nick Johnson and Dan Uggla atop their offseason shopping list, reports Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com.

Beltre would have the most impact among possible third base upgrades, however he would cost the Giants draft pick compensation. According to the report, the Giants still have "strong interest" in Uggla and negotiations with the Marlins are "ongoing." Johnson is probably the least likely option with Pablo Sandoval best-suited for first base. He would only make sense if the price was right for a one or two-year deal.

Beltre is a type B free agent.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
Raul still has a couple of years left in him as a DH. Just not the type of year he had last year.

Fixed that for ya. I don't think he has it in him anymore to play the field. Still got a good bat, though.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
Seriously, someone help me. Did they change the rules to free agent compensation and no one told me? From Rotoworld:

They have to be mistaken. That would be pretty big news if they changed that.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
They have to be mistaken. That would be pretty big news if they changed that.

Read through their take on the player news over the past week, every one of them that mentions a Type B free agent also hints that the new team will lose a pick when they sign him. They're either completely incompetent over there or know something that we don't.

Such as Miguel Olivo:

The Royals will not offer arbitration to catcher Miguel Olivo.

Coco Crisp, Jamey Wright and Bruce Chen are also free agents, however Olivo was the only one to receive a free agent ranking (Type B). The Royals declined Olivo's $3.3 million option for 2010 in last month. Teams can now pursue the 31-year-old catcher without risk of surrendering a draft pick.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
Read through their take on the player news over the past week, every one of them that mentions a Type B free agent also hints that the new team will lose a pick when they sign him. They're either completely incompetent over there or know something that we don't.

Such as Miguel Olivo:

Don't worry, they are just entirely out of their minds. We could easily do better than that. Pretty pathetic that they can get something as simple as that wrong... on a consistent basis.

Btw, the system is gonna be entirely redone during the new agreement... the current one runs from 2007-2011.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
i wonder how much the deal is for...a 33 year old utility guy who just had a career year...im thinking they probably overpaid

Plus they'll lose a draft pick. They definitely overpaid. Somebody like Figgins would have made more sense for them and their money. Figgins could play SS and 2B, but you can slide Pedroia over to SS and move Figgins to 2B.

You get a guaranteed player instead of one that's coming off a career year.

However, Scutaro does have some nice peripherals, he walks a ton.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)
Welcome back to Chicago, Tyler Flowers?

Not even close.

The Mets are overpaying for a backup player that can only play one position (though he does it well) for essentially the same cost that the Sox got for 2 guys who play 6 positions at an above average clip who are more than likely going to be more effectively offensively than Blanco is.

The Sox did just fine backing away from this one.