Free Agent Tracker

Heads22

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
Their young pitching is promising, I wouldn't say yet phenomenal. Tillman and Matusz are probably going to be solid young pitchers, but they are not their yet. More like where Danksy was a few years ago, IMO.
A

Jake Arrieta is top-line talent too. And they have a couple of other arms who aren't far off . They're in a similiar sitiuation to the Rangers. If at least two of these kids work out, they have a nice future ahead of them.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
The royals epic failed this year in terms of acquiring anything

I could understand piling up failed prospects to try to give them a 2nd shot and maybe steal some on development. I could understand signing guys who are coming off injuries or who are low value guys, maybe winning a few games, and being ready to trade them for youth midseason. I'm not quite sure why you'd sign/trade for guys like Anderson and Fields, and then simultaneously sign guys like Ankiel to block those guys.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
are u stupid? They got Brian Anderson! lol

IMO, that's exactly the kind of guy the Royals ought to be acquiring and giving PT to. If they bust, what have they lost?

The question is...what are they going to do around them? Think about the 2008 Rays...yeah, they had guys like Longoria that they developed, but they also had guys like Navarro, Pena, etc., who were castoffs from other teams that they picked up and turned into something useful by giving them playing time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
IMO, that's exactly the kind of guy the Royals ought to be acquiring and giving PT to. If they bust, what have they lost?

The question is...what are they going to do around them? Think about the 2008 Rays...yeah, they had guys like Longoria that they developed, but they also had guys like Navarro, Pena, etc., who were castoffs from other teams that they picked up and turned into something useful by giving them playing time.

Wasn't Navarro a pretty highly-touted Yankees' catching prospect???

If you're talking about the likes of Howell in the bullpen (pretty much their entire bullpen), Aybar, Akinori Iwamura or Fernando Perez, then I'll bite.

The Royals are waiting on those three big bats in their minors, but it seems like they were always waiting on "3 big arms" in the minors the last 20 years or so. Just look at their first round draft picks from 1990 on and it makes the White Sox look like the Twins in comparison from a development standpoint.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 11:53 PM)
Wasn't Navarro a pretty highly-touted Yankees' catching prospect???

If you're talking about the likes of Howell in the bullpen (pretty much their entire bullpen), Aybar, Akinori Iwamura or Fernando Perez, then I'll bite.

The Royals are waiting on those three big bats in their minors, but it seems like they were always waiting on "3 big arms" in the minors the last 20 years or so. Just look at their first round draft picks from 1990 on and it makes the White Sox look like the Twins in comparison from a development standpoint.

Anderson was also a highly-touted prospect. If I was the Royals I would of signed guys like Anderson or Dallas McPherson. Even trading for guys whose value have plumetted like our very own Josh Fields or another example Brandon Wood. I think they already had some pieces with Gordon, Butler, and Dejesus and a couple of good hitting prospects in Hosmer/Moustakas. Instead of spending all the needless money on Ankiel/Pods I think they'd of been better off acquiring another SP.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
What's with the Royals and creating position jam-ups? Last year it was 1B. This year its the outfield.

Throw a bunch of s*** at a wall and see what sticks (or with them, if anything sticks).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
What's with the Royals and creating position jam-ups? Last year it was 1B. This year its the outfield.

They must not believe that many in that group are very good, and hoping that by brining in masses of mediocrity, that someone catches lightning in a bottle.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
They must not believe that many in that group are very good, and hoping that by brining in masses of mediocrity, that someone catches lightning in a bottle.

How do you catch lightning in a bottle if there's such a big logjam that none of them ever play?

Did anyone see where Toby Hall signed a contract?

In other news, the heady Mark Loretta retired, but not until after a full-court press by Ozzie and KW to make him a part-time DH and final piece to the puzzle in our bid to win the "versatility SABR standings" team award.

Unfortunately, KW also forgot to try to include Mark DeRosa, Joe McEwing, Rex Hudler and Jose Oquendo on his off-season hit list.

So Vizquel, Teahen and CJ will have to suffice for now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
Now it ought to be interesting to see how quickly Johnny Damon's price falls and who calls.

Boras is supposedly pushing him towards Oakland and Detroit. I have no idea where he ends up though, because Oakland is full at DH (Cust) and in the outfield (Davis-Crisp-Sweeney), and I don't know if Detroit has the money or if they'd even want to bring him in with Raburn, Jackson, Ordonez, Guillen, and Cabrera in the fold.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
Boras is supposedly pushing him towards Oakland and Detroit. I have no idea where he ends up though, because Oakland is full at DH (Cust) and in the outfield (Davis-Crisp-Sweeney), and I don't know if Detroit has the money or if they'd even want to bring him in with Raburn, Jackson, Ordonez, Guillen, and Cabrera in the fold.

Crasnick said Boras is also trying to engage the Reds.