Free Agent Tracker

Heads22

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
I'd rather have Branyan then Delgado.

Looks like Branyan to the Tribe.

Branyan Has Offer From Indians

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [February 16 at 10:19am CST]

10:19am: The Indians have an offer out to Branyan, though it's not clear whether it is for a major league deal, according to MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince. The club could platoon Branyan with Matt LaPorta, who has been cleared to resume baseball activities after undergoing surgeries on his left hip and left big toe.

7:59am: The Rays and Red Sox are in the mix for Russell Branyan, but neither one of those clubs has progressed as far as the Indians, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. The Rays have "mild interest" in the 30-homer man and the Red Sox are keeping tabs on him even though they don't appear to have room for the slugger unless they trade Mike Lowell.

The 33-year-old Branyan could play a variety of corner positions for the Indians, the club he broke in with in 1998. Branyan hit 31 homers and slugged .520 last year, but a slow second half and a back injury have limited interest in him this offseason. The Marlins aren't interested, though the Blue Jays could be.

Where the hell is Jermaine Dye going to end up? Newark Bears? I hope he finds a job real soon...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
That will end up being of the biggest bargains of the year.

It may even stick for a few years as one of the best moves made in this new decade if it turns out. Wang for that cheap + he's still under team control through arbitration for another season after this, and they didn't give up anything to acquire him. They could be looking at 2 years of a top-level starter for the price of 1 season of Jason Marquis or thereabouts. And worse case scenario, it's a low amount that they can eat if they end up having to without skipping a beat.

I also love the Benoit signing too. There are some really great bargains out there.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Wang should be decent, but I think he's more or less a #3-4 starter who became overrated in New York due to him being the best starting pitcher in otherwise very mediocre rotations. He never put up good WHIPs, never put up good strikeout numbers, and never have fantastic control, and was supremely awful last season. He got by because of a fantastic sinker, which is why he should be good; I just don't necessarily think he's going to be great.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
Sounds like a broken Wang to me.

I suspect that Wang will be pretty mediocre, but maybe pop out for a good performance or two. It’s been hardened through years of experience and I suspect the Nat’s coaching staff to stroke some good starts and finishes out of it. When it's on, that Wang can go all 9 without having to be pulled from the game.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 07:10 PM)
I suspect that Wang will be pretty mediocre, but maybe pop out for a good performance or two. It’s been hardened through years of experience and I suspect the Nat’s coaching staff to stroke some good starts and finishes out of it. When it's on, that Wang can go all 9 without having to be pulled from the game.

Oh stop jerkin' around, there's stiff competition in the NL East this year. The Nasty Nats could go Commando and easily get up behind the other teams and make them feel uncomfortable. Even Dick Allen can see that.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
Oh stop jerkin' around, there's stiff competition in the NL East this year. The Nasty Nats could go Commando and easily get up behind the other teams and make them feel uncomfortable. Even Dick Allen can see that.

I see what you both did there. ;)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)

So have they given up on Hafner? He's making a boatload of money too.

I'm starting to think that Jermaine Dye is going to either sit out a year or retire. How sad. Maybe if Damon goes to the tigers KW and Ozzie will come calling.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
So have they given up on Hafner? He's making a boatload of money too.

Hafner's only at $11.5M per year. Pffffft... that's nothing. That's Carlos Silva money. :P

Yep. I'm sure the small market Indians are glad they made that investment.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Hafner is a great example of the dangers of giving players big contracts.

Commiting all that money to Peralta at such an early stage wasn't such a wise idea, either. It's one of the many reasons (along with Kerry Wood) they had to trade away DeRosa.

I'm not even sure what happened to Sizemore last season. Hafner, it's pretty obvious his body shrank noticeably. So much for Pronk, more like Shrek as a hitter now.

Edited by caulfield12