Free Agent Tracker

Heads22

You know what I'd like to find out? How much money in sponsorships Arod actually makes in NY as opposed to other cities. I ask this, because after having lived there, I really don't think many other cities can match the sort of bats*** crazy love affair cardinals fans have for their players and legends. They have like dozens of restaurants owned by former players, and they are all like, really successful. While new york is huge and the biggest media market, I do wonder how much more it is in out-of-salary income in NY than in STL. STL also would be much cheaper to live, although in the opinion of an outsider, a much less exciting place to live. In the opinion of a native, "the greatest place in the world and no other place beside it even exists and the rams are actually a good football team GO WARNER oh my God Albert, CARDS budweiser."

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
That's way more money than this team has available to spend on a player like Beltre. For this year at least, that's probably more than he's worth to us as well.

Beltre's defense pays for itself.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
I doubt Pujols will become a free agent next year.

Yankmee money is a strong lure and there seems to be a lot of it. That money should really be the main issue when discussing competitve balance

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
yeah I agree, I should have added more to my post by saying there is little to no chance that the MLB players union would agree to a hard cap and something like this would be more likely, although I agree unlikely.

Most likley this is true and it's really for the benefit of a few super players. But once the teams refuse to pay they get slammed as colluding

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
Glaus to Braves, 1 year, $1.75M base, goes up to $4M with various incentives.

Considering he'll actually be playing a position, that has to set the market for the remaining nearly-full-time DH's, doesn't it?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
Considering he'll actually be playing a position, that has to set the market for the remaining nearly-full-time DH's, doesn't it?

Yeah, I think KW's plan on this is working pretty well. Too many bats for not enough DH slots in the AL, prices will keep dropping, and he'll pick up a Vlad or Thome type guy for a year and probably no more than $3M.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)

He's coming off a small sample-size year...but still it would be great if things have gotten to this point across the board for DH-types.

Especially since he's not a total scrap heap guy. Solid years galore leading up to 2009.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
I don't know why the Cards gave him that much. They were bidding against themselves in this case.

Scott Boras could have pulled the 1-2 year deal on them and then they might have had to deal with this mess again in two years where Holliday might have more suitors.

I think St. Louis is just happy that they got the deal done. Plus, with Jason Bay's contract as a stable, you'd think that $17 million for a far superior player in Holliday is worth it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 12:18 AM)
what?!?!?!

Marlon Byrd 3 yrs/15Mil > Matt Holliday 7 years/120 mil. Just ask Hendry

I'm just kind of making this comment as an aside, but before 2008, the tigers made a bunch of crazy deals and were assured to win the central. And yeah.

BUT, the cardinals seem to annually OVERachieve. Yes, they have the greatest player in baseball, but man, every year since 2004 I've pretty much looked at their roster and been like, meh. And they just compete like hell.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 07:48 PM)
I'm just kind of making this comment as an aside, but before 2008, the tigers made a bunch of crazy deals and were assured to win the central. And yeah.

BUT, the cardinals seem to annually OVERachieve. Yes, they have the greatest player in baseball, but man, every year since 2004 I've pretty much looked at their roster and been like, meh. And they just compete like hell.

I agree with this. LaRussa definitely can push buttons like no other.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)
holliday back to cards for 7 years between 119-120 mil....thats alot of dough

If I was a Cards' fan, I would be very leery of this contract. Pujols, sure. But I don't think Holliday is worth that blockbuster contract. This smells a lot like the Vernon Wells contract, and if it doesn't pan out they could be handcuffed for years to come. Hey, if it does work, god bless 'em, keep the cubs down. But I have my serious doubts that Holliday is going to live up to this monstrous contract.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 09:03 PM)
If I was a Cards' fan, I would be very leery of this contract. Pujols, sure. But I don't think Holliday is worth that blockbuster contract. This smells a lot like the Vernon Wells contract, and if it doesn't pan out they could be handcuffed for years to come. Hey, if it does work, god bless 'em, keep the cubs down. But I have my serious doubts that Holliday is going to live up to this monstrous contract.

I think Holliday will be able to produce since he's in the NL. I think it won't be a regrettable contract.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)

There are 3 points. First and foremost...they flat out need someone to hit behind Pujols. They can develop or sign people to hit in front of him, but they haven't had a legit bat hitting behind him since 2004 when Edmunds/Rolen got old. Remember all the years that the White Sox spent trying to find someone to hit behind Frank?

Second, if they want Pujols to resign there, they need to make sure he believes that the Cardinals are trying to win.

Third, if they're signing Holliday to a contract that is so expensive they can't afford to keep Pujols, or perhaps Wainright or Carpenter as well, then this is the dumbest contract in baseball not owned at any point by the Cubs.

Yeah, it put them in a position to compete with us...

They won the AL.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
They won the AL.

In 2008? I must have missed that while watching the Sox and Twins in their 1 game playoff. I believe bmags is talking about the Tigers pre 08 trade for Willis and Cabrera that had everyone penciling them in for a World Series. Didnt quite happen that way

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
In 2008? I must have missed that while watching the Sox and Twins in their 1 game playoff. I believe bmags is talking about the Tigers pre 08 trade for Willis and Cabrera that had everyone penciling them in for a World Series. Didnt quite happen that way

Post-2004 was when they really started spending money, it took them a couple years to really get results, but don't forget the size of the hole they had to dig themselves out of. Ordonez, IRod, Sheffield, Polonco, Kenny "what's that on your hand" Rogers, Nate Robertson, Todd Jones etc. They had some decent performance from the draft as well, but that's also expected when you get top picks from being awful (Verlander).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Post-2004 was when they really started spending money, it took them a couple years to really get results, but don't forget the size of the hole they had to dig themselves out of. Ordonez, IRod, Sheffield, Polonco, Kenny "what's that on your hand" Rogers, Nate Robertson, Todd Jones etc. They had some decent performance from the draft as well, but that's also expected when you get top picks from being awful (Verlander).

That and being willing to pay over slot.