Free Agent Tracker

Heads22

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, maybe we hope that Chapman busts and suddenly that re-taints all this Cuban talent that keeps defecting, and either we pick up Chapman on the cheap (i.e. what we did with Contreras) and turn him around or we pick up a future Cuban pitcher that no one wants to touch out of bust fears (i.e. how we got Iguchi cheap after Kaz Matsui had busted in NYM).

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
We've all gone from being terrified of being stuck with Thome again to being terrified of life w/o him.

I just hope this time around they bat him a little lower and mix in Jones.

You use the words "we've all" far too loosely here. I've never been afraid of Thome coming back, and if a big time impact bat couldn't be brought in, I have been all for bringing him back. Barring the signing of a guy like Adam LaRoche or Russell Branyan - and I don't know why the Sox would acquire them when they know what they have in Thome - I still envision Thome being back.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
It doesn't seem as bad as it was spread over 10 years...this deal intrigues me.

Yeah I just read that, I guess it's not that bad then. Still, you're committing at least $25 million to a raw player who might not be ML ready in a year or two. Seems like a bit of a stretch.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
You use the words "we've all" far too loosely here. I've never been afraid of Thome coming back, and if a big time impact bat couldn't be brought in, I have been all for bringing him back. Barring the signing of a guy like Adam LaRoche or Russell Branyan - and I don't know why the Sox would acquire them when they know what they have in Thome - I still envision Thome being back.

Seconded.

Good for the Reds. Glad to see him go to a team outside of your big markets, even if it is a horrible contract.

If Chapman shows he can start out of the gates in the spring and the Reds sign a bat they can compete in that division. Someone like Cabrera or Tejada would fit in since they don't have a SS really.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
Good for the Reds. Glad to see him go to a team outside of your big markets, even if it is a horrible contract.

If Chapman shows he can start out of the gates in the spring and the Reds sign a bat they can compete in that division. Someone like Cabrera or Tejada would fit in since they don't have a SS really.

It's a smart move for him, actually. It's guaranteed that he will get a shot in the bigs even if he doesn't prove his worth in the minors. For that money, the Reds will have to bring him up.

I've been out of the loop. Did Dye sign with anyone?

Funny how the AL has the DH and few guys want to play that part on a team. I'm all for getting rid of the DH.

I guess there are worse options than Thome as D.H. Maybe Kenny hasn't finished going after the over 40 has beens who might have that magical year.