Is Frank Thomas HOF Worthy?

Marky Mark

Presupposing that his playing days are over, where does Big Frank stand in terms of Hall of the Fame?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Does Frank Thomas Deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Frank Thomas Be In the Hall of Fame?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
This is a tough one because they're were a lot of good offensive players in his day that will be competing against him for the Hall. Answer this with your head, not your heart.

You're a few years too late with this poll. Fill a room with all the "good offensive players in his day that will be competing against him for the Hall." Then ask the ones linked to PEDs to leave, as none of them will be elected to the hall any time soon. The room isn't very crowded after that. I think the HOF has room for both Thomas and Griffey.

Edited by bighurt574

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
You're a few years too late with this poll. Fill a room with all the "good offensive players in his day that will be competing against him for the Hall." Then ask the ones linked to PEDs to leave, as none of them will be elected to the hall any time soon. The room isn't very crowded after that. I think the HOF has room for both Thomas and Griffey.

Even if you don't kick out the juicers...ask all of the ones without 2 MVP trophies or 500 HR to leave, and it thins out again as well.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 08:21 AM)
Nothing tough about this one at all. Two time MVPs with 500+ home runs and a career .300 batting average go right on into the HOF. No questions asked.

Don't forget about the batting title in 1997 and the fact that he lost the 2000 MVP to a 'roider.

Frank was the best hitter in the game for about five years (1993-1997) - out-hitting many contemporaries (Bonds, Belle, Sammy, McGwire, Juan Gone) that have been exposed as cheaters. If Frank and Griffey don't both get into Cooperstown on the first ballot, they need to blow the place up.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
Frank Thomas will have the opportunity to make a HOF speech for all of the baseball purists in regard to PED's. I hope he does not seek the advice of Michael Jordan's speech writer.

I hope he keeps the PED's out of it. The speech should be about him, not his un-clean peers.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
Eh, Griffey.

Yea, Junior was the best hitter of the 90's, but Frank was #2.

Maddux, Biggio, Glavine, Frank, and Piazza. 2013 could have 5 first balloter's and god it could use it.

But really, Frank needs to retire now so we can retire #35.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
Griffey was not a better pure hitter than Frank Thomas. HR hitter? Sure but that's about it. Barry Bonds was the best hitter of the '90's.

Absolutely. I haven't looked at the metrics, but Griffey very well may have been the best player of the 90s, because he played some pretty sick ass defense.

He's a lock to get in and saying he deserves to be in is an incredible understatement. That said, watch the asshole BBWAA stiffs overlook the anti-steroids stance and rip him for being a DH, delaying his entry until 2011. I really hope he makes the first ballot though. And yes, that #35 needs to go up in a ceremony this year. The Sox need to get on with building that statue if they haven't started already.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
How many 2+ time MVPs have never made the hall of fame? I would guess not many, if any at all.

29 multiple winners, your non-hall of famers: Dale Murphy, Roger Maris, Juan Gonzalez (how many people would have guessed that?), Alex Rodriguez and Barry Bonds.

Pujols and Thomas are the other 2 but they'll be getting in as of now but these things are known to change.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
One of the very few hitters that you would stop what you were doing just to watch every at bat.

If you have to ask the question, you didn't see him hit.

Bars would go quiet. :notworthy