White Sox sign Andruw Jones

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 07:24 AM)
No doubt he's damn good with the glove, but there have also been times (2007, 2008) when his back was clearly hindering his play. And that's when he could even take the field.

I own just one actual, official, White Sox jersey - and it has the name CREDE on the back. He was one of my favorite players to watch play defense. I'm just saying, unfortunately, his health is a huge issue, and his bat hasn't been consistently good since 2006.

I bought a WS Crede road jersey after 05'. Unfortunately someone broke into my condo a few months later, and that is one of the things they took. Darn crooks!

If the guy would sign a minor league contract - and we may be the only organization he would do that with - I would definitely sign him up.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
I bought a WS Crede road jersey after 05'. Unfortunately someone broke into my condo a few months later, and that is one of the things they took. Darn crooks!

If the guy would sign a minor league contract - and we may be the only organization he would do that with - I would definitely sign him up.

For a minor league deal? Absolutely, it hurts nothing, and gives a nice backup plan to Teahen. If Viciedo moves to something other than 3B, it can be done without blocking anyone.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
For a minor league deal? Absolutely, it hurts nothing, and gives a nice backup plan to Teahen. If Viciedo moves to something other than 3B, it can be done without blocking anyone.

I can't really see him getting a major league deal, can you?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
I can't really see him getting a major league deal, can you?

I haven't looked around the league at the current 3B situations to be able to speak to that. If he can't, then I agree, the Sox might be his top choice for a minor league deal. And I'd be in favor of that, assuming he passes the physical, and that he doesn't block Viciedo/Morel (who look to be at AAA and AA respectively).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)

Though he may not see the bigs in 2010, check out Sox prospect Brent Morel. He just lead the AFL in hitting and is a plus defender at 3B. His potential is reason enough not to resign Crede.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
You should really check out Sox prospect Brent Morel. He just lead the AFL in hitting and is a plus defender at 3B.

I'm already very aware of Mr. Morel. He played at W-S last season, and would likely be in Birmingham in 2010. Viciedo played 3B in B-Ham last year, and despite rumors of maybe moving him to 1B or elsewhere, the Sox seem to like the idea of sticking with him at 3B. He'd probably be in Charlotte in 2010 if he's a 3B still, and that means a Crede deal could potentially block him - that is why Viciedo is the conversation piece here, as opposed to Morel, who will not likely be double-jumping to AAA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 07:09 AM)
--Yes, we all played more f***ing Journey on our iPods for 2 years than should ever have been the case

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

Joe absolutely rocked in the Fall of '05 and for about a month in early '08, but bad backs don't get better.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
Though he may not see the bigs in 2010, check out Sox prospect Brent Morel. He just lead the AFL in hitting and is a plus defender at 3B. His potential is reason enough not to resign Crede.

Morel shouldn't factor in to Joe Crede getting what would essentially be an invite to spring training. The minor league contract part of that is an informality, as most of the time guys like that have a clause written in where if they aren't going to make the major league team, they are to be released so that they have the chance to catch on somewhere else if they want. Crede wouldn't be going to Charlotte.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
I'm already very aware of Mr. Morel. He played at W-S last season, and would likely be in Birmingham in 2010. Viciedo played 3B in B-Ham last year, and despite rumors of maybe moving him to 1B or elsewhere, the Sox seem to like the idea of sticking with him at 3B. He'd probably be in Charlotte in 2010 if he's a 3B still, and that means a Crede deal could potentially block him - that is why Viciedo is the conversation piece here, as opposed to Morel, who will not likely be double-jumping to AAA.

Morel will be in Charlotte by mid-season. Viciedo is a future 1B/DH.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
Morel shouldn't factor in to Joe Crede getting what would essentially be an invite to spring training. The minor league contract part of that is an informality, as most of the time guys like that have a clause written in where if they aren't going to make the major league team, they are to be released so that they have the chance to catch on somewhere else if they want. Crede wouldn't be going to Charlotte.

Exactly, never plan you're signings (especially minor league offers) on AA prospects.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
Can I borrow your crystal ball?

Viciedo's obvious conditioning issues are not gonna allow him to handle 3B long term. If the dude can't stay in shape when he's 20 years old, he's never going to. Morel has excelled at every level

and obviously has no trouble with the game's best AA prospects.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
Viciedo's obvious conditioning issues are not gonna allow him to handle 3B long term. If the dude can't stay in shape when he's 20 years old, he's never going to. Morel has excelled at every level

and obviously has no trouble with the game's best AA prospects.

Obvious conditioning issues? He actually improved since he's been here in this regard, according to reports I've read.

You got the reaction you did to your post because you declared future events as if they were fact. They of course are not, and they may not even be likely (especially Morel). AFL is a short season, very short. Let's see how he does against a couple months of AA pitching before declaring him anything more than a very nice prospect (which he is, and that's certainly a good thing).

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)
Morel will be in Charlotte by mid-season. Viciedo is a future 1B/DH.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
I live in Scottsdale, AZ part time and I've seen both play several times in Oct/Nov this year in the AFL.

So it what, five or six games, you have seen enough of two minor leaguers that you can project their minor league arc AND their major league futures?

Quit your day job, and go into baseball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 07:47 AM)
Obvious conditioning issues? He actually improved since he's been here in this regard, according to reports I've read.

You got the reaction you did to your post because you declared future events as if they were fact. They of course are not, and they may not even be likely (especially Morel). AFL is a short season, very short. Let's see how he does against a couple months of AA pitching before declaring him anything more than a very nice prospect (which he is, and that's certainly a good thing).

Obvious conditioning issues: He got pulled out/shut down from the AFL after just 4 games.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
Obvious conditioning issues: He got pulled out/shut down from the AFL after just 4 games.

Because of a sore elbow on his throwing arm that they didn't want to aggravate.

That's not a conditioning issue.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 07:29 AM)
I would go and say that short of Morel hitting .400 with excellent power there's no reason to move him to AAA by midseason.

He doesn't need to hit .400 or produce huge power. Morel should be moved to Charlotte mid season if his offensive production continues to develop as it has in A/High-A and as did in the AFL. His defense is above average and the Sox need prospects with a defensive mindset. They are fast-tracking Jordan Danks for this reason.