Daniel Cabrera

hi8is

"Daniel Cabrera is in search of a 40-man roster spot on some team this winter." - MLB Trade Rumors

KW has always been in love with this guy.

I like the odds of him being brought in to compete with freddy and be a guy from the pen who is a backup starter along with hudson.

just a guess.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
"Daniel Cabrera is in search of a 40-man roster spot on some team this winter." - MLB Trade Rumors

KW has always been in love with this guy.

I like the odds of him being brought in to compete with freddy and be a guy from the pen who is a backup starter along with hudson.

just a guess.

2 years ago, I would have agreed with you. Not anymore.

Please, we just said goodbye to Jose...don't bring in his less-talented and equally as frustrating long-lost cousin...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
He actually used to be a ss, if I'm not mistaken...

yea but i remember reading somewhere that in the d.r. he used to be good at basketball and could of gone either way

...found a clip only " ...High School in Loma de Cabrera, DR, where he played baseball and basketball"

Edited by Melissa1334

has there been any attempt to convert him to a reliever yet? The guy has an electric arm, maybe he just needs to utilize it differently. I am not opposed to seeing if he can be long relief or maybe even set-up if he can get his stuff together.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
has there been any attempt to convert him to a reliever yet? The guy has an electric arm, maybe he just needs to utilize it differently. I am not opposed to seeing if he can be long relief or maybe even set-up if he can get his stuff together.

The problem is people have been saying this for 3 years now. At some point, you just have to realize that he is what he is (incredibly inconsistent and frustrating). I wouldn't be opposed to a minor league signing, but I'd have to see consistent, lasting improvement before I would even consider bringing him to the big league club.

Leo Mazzone had a shot at this kid and got nowhere, and I'm sure Jim Palmer has spent time with him. I just don't know how long you keep banging your head against the wall with a guy like this...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
The problem is people have been saying this for 3 years now. At some point, you just have to realize that he is what he is (incredibly inconsistent and frustrating). I wouldn't be opposed to a minor league signing, but I'd have to see consistent, lasting improvement before I would even consider bringing him to the big league club.

Leo Mazzone had a shot at this kid and got nowhere, and I'm sure Jim Palmer has spent time with him. I just don't know how long you keep banging your head against the wall with a guy like this...

I know, but everyone has been starting him. Some great relievers over the years were just horrid starters and found their niche as relievers.

If it has been tried and he failed at that too, well that makes things a bit different.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 10:07 PM)
I know, but everyone has been starting him. Some great relievers over the years were just horrid starters and found their niche as relievers.

If it has been tried and he failed at that too, well that makes things a bit different.

Looks like the DBacks tried to bring him out of the pen last year to similar results. Obviously, the sample size is small (5 games, 11 IP), but from that small sample size, it was the same old song and dance...

I wholeheartedly agree that he needs to prove it in the minors before he comes up, but it worries me that he would be proving it in Charlotte. It seems like good numbers in Charlotte never seem to translate in Chicago. Unless your name is Gordon Beckham, that is.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
I wholeheartedly agree that he needs to prove it in the minors before he comes up, but it worries me that he would be proving it in Charlotte. It seems like good numbers in Charlotte never seem to translate in Chicago. Unless your name is Gordon Beckham, that is.

Well, the strike zone down in Charlotte should be pretty similar to that in Chicago. So I'd just tell him that until he gets his walk rate down to something reasonable, he's never going to smell Chicago.