Red Sox maybe not desperate for a SS

GreatScott82

The Red Sox seem to be desperate for a SS. They don't seem that interested in bringing back Orlando Cabrera or taking a stab at Miguel Tejada. That being said- that trade speculation John Heyman made a month and half ago may still work good for both teams. I believe it was Bobby Jenks and Alexei Ramirez for Elsbury, Bard and Okajima. .

Not saying its going to happen but a very interesting possibility. We get our leadoff hitter and add more depth to the pen.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
The Red Sox seem to be desperate for a SS. They don't seem that interested in bringing back Orlando Cabrera or taking a stab at Miguel Tejada. That being said- that trade speculation John Heyman made a month and half ago may still work good for both teams. I believe it was Bobby Jenks and Alexei Ramirez for Elsbury, Bard and Okajima. .

Not saying its going to happen but a very interesting possibility. We get our leadoff hitter and add more depth to the pen.

done and done.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
Who becomes our long term SS then? If we still had Getz, then I guess you could say move Bacon to SS and hope he improves, but you end up opening a very big hole which would be super expensive. Sox actually have an advantage to have such a cheap, good option at short.

There are a lot of 2b options out there currently--Hudson, Polanco, Felipe Lopez. 2b is a lot easier to fill than SS. The sox would have to be positive Gordon could handle SS fulltime.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
Who becomes our long term SS then? If we still had Getz, then I guess you could say move Bacon to SS and hope he improves, but you end up opening a very big hole which would be super expensive. Sox actually have an advantage to have such a cheap, good option at short.

I would assume they would move Bacon over to SS and go out and sign a Polanco or O-Hudson as their 'big free agent signing' of the winter. I'm guessing Polanco could be had for a 2 year $12 million deal.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
Unless they see Papelbon or Jenks in a different role...why would they want Bobby? I'm not crazy about this idea.

Bard has Jenks arm from 2005, Okajima is still pretty effective, and Ellsbury is only going to get better

Be wary of the Red Sox. If they want Alexei, then that means Bill James thinks Alexei is a star in the making. James knows his s*** and he is the Bosox player adviser.

I think Alexei should be close to untouchable with what he's shown so far this early in his career.

If we deal him, we better get big time talent back and not let somebody steal him. I'm not crazy about his defense at ss but he has shown big time potential.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Be wary of the Red Sox. If they want Alexei, then that means Bill James thinks Alexei is a star in the making. James knows his s*** and he is the Bosox player adviser.

I think Alexei should be close to untouchable with what he's shown so far this early in his career.

If we deal him, we better get big time talent back and not let somebody steal him. I'm not crazy about his defense at ss but he has shown big time potential.

Ellsbury would be that big time talent. He is 26 years old, stole 70 bases, hit .301 and had an OBP of .355 in 2009.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
Ellsbury would be that big time talent. He is 26 years old, stole 70 bases, hit .301 and had an OBP of .355 in 2009.

Ding ding ding... yes lexi gives us some pop which we are somewhat lacking but Ellsbury is a "rich mans" scotty pods. Then we can get a guy like a Hudson or Polanco both of which would look great in the 2 hole which allows becks to move to the 3 hole which then makes the middle of the lineup look more dangerous. Hell id be content with throwin omar out there for a year and hope CJ develops more and is able to become a full time player. I also wouldnt mind sending omar out there in the 2 hole because he can get the little things done like iguchi did for us in 05.

Jacoby OF

Omar 2B (or FA signing)

Becks SS

CQ OF/DH

Kong 1B/DH

AJ C

Rios OF

Teahan 3B

Kotsay OF/DH/1B (or Fa signing)

Peavy

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Garcia

DJ RH LR

Williams LH LR (or FA signing

Linebrink RH MR

Okajima LH MR

Pena RH SU

Thornton LH SU

Bard CL

Well, I was actually thinking about this trade last night.

Can someone fill me in on why the BoSox would trade Ellsbury? Do they have a ready to go CF prospect (I doubt BA is their solution).

But I'd do it, because it fills 3 holes...Leadoff, OF, and Bullpen. Move Jacoby to LF (isn't Rios a better defender?) and Quentin to right and you've got your speedy LF guy, defensive possible all-star bat in CF, and power bat in right.

Then I still do the "please can't these die" rumors of the Sox getting Gonzalez, by giving up any 5-6 players the Padres want from the minors. Even D2 at this point, since Ellsbury would pretty much kill chances of him starting here for a while.

Sign Blanco for backup C.

Then, for the SS/2B hole, I sign Uribe/Hudson/Polanco. And if that's not possible and we are able to keep Retherford in the AGon deal...well, I'd be against starting CJ at 2B, but would be OK with it since we'd have this lineup (Note: CJ not included in mockup)

LF - Ellsbury

SS/2B - Uribe/Hudson/Polanco

2B/SS - Beckham

1B - Gonzalez

RF - Quentin

DH - Konerko

CF - Rios

C - AJ

3B - Teahen

SP - Buehrle

SP - Peavy

SP - Danks

SP - Floyd

SP - Garcia

CL - Thornton

SU - Bard

SU - Okajima

MRP - Pena

MRP - Linebrink

LRP - Carrasco

LRP - Torres/Hynick/Nunez (depends on who's still with organization)

1B/OF - Kotsay

OF - Jones

2B/SS/3B - Vizquel

C - Blanco

Only thing I dislike is there really isn't a speed guy on the bench.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
Well, I was actually thinking about this trade last night.

Can someone fill me in on why the BoSox would trade Ellsbury? Do they have a ready to go CF prospect (I doubt BA is their solution).

Boston has a lot of depth in the farm, not to mention they will be signing Bay or Halladay to take the other open OF spot. I could also see them go after Granderson if they deal Ellsbury away.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
I still don't get why everybody is so ready to just throw Beckham in the 3 hole. IMO...he's just NOT ready for that role yet.

Gordon's gonna hit .500-100 HR-300 RBI next year :P.

I just wanna see what he could do there, because I can see him excelling.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
I still don't get why everybody is so ready to just throw Beckham in the 3 hole. IMO...he's just NOT ready for that role yet.

I actually think Beckham would do wonders in the 3 hole. Unlike most hitters in our lineup- Bacon has the ability to hit to the opposite side of the field and find the gaps. He could have a very big year offensively in the 3 hole if given the opportunity.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
I actually think Beckham would do wonders in the 3 hole. Unlike most hitters in our lineup- Bacon has the ability to hit to the opposite side of the field and find the gaps. He could have a very big year offensively in the 3 hole if given the opportunity.

Maybe the year after...and I agree with your thinking...but just not this next year for the Soph. I'd just give him another year under his belt. Of course that's just my opinion.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
It is and the folks we would be giving up simply opens more holes in our line up

Kind of. At the same time you strengthen your pen, and could shift Bacon to SS and sign a 2B via free agency at a reasonable market price. Hudson and Polanco are both players KW has shown interest in previous years.