Kyyle23

Poll on Seligs time as commissioner  

22 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, Selig did:

• More good for the game of baseball in his time as commissioner
    • More harm to the game of baseball in his time as commissioner
    • Somewhere in the middle, I would rather express it in a post

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/base...lans/index.html

Bud Selig plans to step down as commissioner of Major League Baseball when his current contract expires on Dec. 31, 2012, according to a report in the Chicago Tribune.

The 75-year-old Selig, who has been commissioner since 1998, declined a request from a group of five MLB owners to stay on beyond that time, the newspaper reported Saturday, citing unnamed sources. He reportedly told the owners he would step aside then because he had other things he wanted to do, such as teaching and writing a book.

If he stays on till 2012, Selig will have been baseball's top boss for 20 years, including six years as interim commissioner from 1992 to 1998.

His time in office has included such events as the players' strike in 1994, the introducion of the wild-card system and interleague play, and investigations into steroid use. He received a three-year contract extension last year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)

I don't think he's done a bad job. It's been time for someone new for a while though. I know people will criticize him because of the steroids, but overall I think he's been fine with the restructuring of the divisions and playoffs. I certainly don't like the "meaning" of the ASG.

He far exceeded what I expected, which tells you how little I expected. I felt it was wrong to have an owner as the commissioner. I felt there needed to be some balance. However, overall, his ownership interest was not much of a hindrance or asset in the job he did. The game is better than now that when he took over, although it went through a period where it was worse. In the annals of sport commissioners he was no Pete Roselle, but he wasn't a total stiff.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
I don't think he's done a bad job. It's been time for someone new for a while though. I know people will criticize him because of the steroids, but overall I think he's been fine with the restructuring of the divisions and playoffs. I certainly don't like the "meaning" of the ASG.

and the steroid issue is probably the clearest in my mind where he looked out for the benefits of his peers (owners) instead of the well being of the players or the game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 08:33 PM)
He has also not done enough to keep the small market teams respectable in the sport, unlike most of the other major sports. The draft and the handling of international players is still a complete disaster when compared to baseball and hockey especially.

Yea, the draft is downright awful, international prospects start bidding wars and generally are the top rookies as they've had great seasoning (essentially meaning: More money=what would be the #1 pick), and its amazing how small the level of different playoff teams are each year.

Mlb.tv blackout rules are pretty dumb. I don't mind the All-Star game and I love interleague play. I just wish we played more different teams. It seems like we play the same ole squads every year.

I'm sure Selig thought he was doing good initially be revamping interest in baseball after the strike which he did do. But the steroids thing was going to come out, especially with everyone doing them. Him not stopping the widespread use, dead in it's tracks has done more harm than good.