How far will we go?

Soxplosion

How far are these schmucks gonna make it?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How far are these schmucks gonna make it?

• No playoffs
    • ALDS loss
    • ALCS loss
    • WS loss
    • WS win

Dude, dont you see? This team has had runners on second and third before and theyve found a way to blow it. The Yankees will slaughter this team in the playoffs, sadly...

Dude, maybe you don't realize, that we are playing the best ball we have all year. Take your hands from over your eyes for just a second and realize that we are 3rd in the league in ERA, 3rd in fielding, AND we are starting to hit. Today we just had an awful start from our fifth starter who has already been sent down, and you are freaking out like a nutcase. Get some perspective.

And also, the loss can be blamed mainly to White. And unlike Porzio, White is a lousy veteran whos not going anywhere. So you cant just say we are fine because a pitchers whos already gone pitched poorly...

The only time we see Rick White is in blowouts, or games like tonight, where your big bullpen horses couldn't go.

So just take it.

Fine. They can make the playoffs. Theyll just get slaughtered by a better, "true" playoff team. This team is not that good. We just play in a lousy division. In the East or West wed be 11 and 10.5 games back respectively...

Anything can happen when you get to the playoffs.

In the playoffs, you start over. It does not matter if you won 70 games or 120 games in the regular season, if you are there, you are there, period. You are 0-0. The team that wins it all is the team that gets hottest going into the playoffs, and not necessarily the team that has the most talent. Last year, until the World Series, every team that was favored to win their respective series LOST that series(and I say the favored team won the World Series because there was no underdog).

With the team we have right now, we would probably advance to the ALCS, but we would run out of gas in the ALCS. We have a very, very good 1-2-3, with Loaiza being wicked nasty at times, Buehrle being the stud that he is, and Colon being a horse. We could easily sweep the ALDS with the bullpen maybe throwing 3 innings. We'd run into problems in the ALCS, because we would not get 4 straight CG's(because that would be very close to 7 straight CG's by our staff), and the bullpen would wear down, mainly because it is not deep enough. That's not to say we couldn't add an arm or two to the pen to help deepen a weak spot on the team. Trading two guys would do the trick and would help balance out our overpacked lineup.

If Thomas hits well the second half, Maggs continues to murder the ball, we add an arm or two via trade, and the starting holds up, we will be having a lot of fun in September and we will be playing in October. This is where Phil Rogers 30/190 theory comes into play. If you have pitchers who have done that, they know what it's like to pitch in August, and will not wear down quite so easily. We have a very strong staff in that regard. The Royals do not

I will say this team has one thing going for it in the playoffs. A good solid rotation and solid defense. We also have a bullpen thats not too shabby if you compare to the Yankees or Red Sox or even Seattle lately has been iffy.

The problem is this is a homerun hitting team. We usually live and die by the long ball with few exceptions. Long ball teams usually don't go far in the playoffs because you face the top pitchers in the league that don't give up long balls. Teams that manufacture tend to win the playoff series. Teams like Anaheim of 2002 and not Chicago of 2003.

Fine. They can make the playoffs. Theyll just get slaughtered by a better, "true" playoff team. This team is not that good. We just play in a lousy division. In the East or West wed be 11 and 10.5 games back respectively...

Everybody said that with the Angels last year and they beat the Yanke$$...

If we get a good 5th starter that can gibe us 6 IP, 3 ER. This team will be on the playoffs and can go to ALCS. It was what i choose.

I recall a certain championship team being predicted to finish dead-last in their 4-team division last year, too.

The Royals suck, we'll win the division and maybe we can get lucky. We've got the pitching (another arm won't hurt). Who the hell knows? Sit back and enjoy the ride. How often are the Sox 4 games out at the end of July, anyway?

Talk about raining on a parade.

Personally, I think the Sox have a realistic shot at winning a play-off series, if they get there. They have the pitching staff to match up with any team in the American League, IMO, especially in a short series. Just a matter of getting hot at the right time.

Im going with no playoffs. KC has proved it actually is for real and I just dont think this team has what it takes to beat em...

How has Kansas City proven they are for real? They're 56-46, 5-5 since the All-Star Break and only 4 games up on the Sox with like 58 to go. This race is obviously over.

:dips***

I think we should make the playoffs, but don't think we will make the playoffs.

We won eight in a row and still did not make up much ground on KC.

If we lose all 3 to KC this week, we are done.

If we win one or two, then it's the same as always. We will still have a great chance to win.

p.s. The Royals have made a serious mistake putting Affeldt in the bullpen.

Affeldt is a stud.

On paper we should easily win Game 3 of the Royals series.

How would you run our playoff rotation in a 5 game series?

I wouldn't mind seeing Colon out there for game 1 because he has the experience factor.

Buehrle followed by Loaiza?  That would be my pick although it depends on what kind of lineup we are matched up against.

That is a tough call, but I think I would agree with you. I definately would have Loz or Colon go in game one followed by MB in game two.

This team from the very start has been built for the post-season.

Bart, Mark, & Estaban are as good as any other front 3 in the AL.

Over the years, home run hitters have had the greatest impact in post season & we sure have our fill of them.

But the question remains will we reach the post-season? Every series with KC from here on out is do or die. They are must wins.

What of our 5th starter? Is Wright coming back? How about Stewart? I've always favored another lefty in the rotation & feel that Stewart is probably the best we have right now to fill the spot. Or is JM thinking the 5th starter is a spot starter to fill from the BP?

What would it take to get Ponson right now?

With our four starters and our improved lineup thanks to Alomar (Is Everett gonna get hot or is he a waste?) I can't believe we're struggling to win this division.

If we don't win the division, JM must be fired.

And I give him credit for our recovery, but seriously folks, we have the best team in this division and we may not win it.