Golf A Sport?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 28, 2009 -> 11:05 PM)
So I guess your answer is no, you've never played golf before.

Actually yes I have.. and yes, I have played 18 holes before..

It was basically me and my jackass friends playing a leisure activity the same way the pros do except we aren't good.. I don't even wanna hear anyone try to explain how golf is a sport.. its not a sport, they aren't athletes.. that's about it..

2:30 AM, and not drunk, makes this an interesting scenario.

I've played baseball as a leisurely activity, but it is still a sport. I've played pick up basketball games as a leisure activity, but it is still a sport.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 28, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
2:30 AM, and not drunk, makes this an interesting scenario.

I've played baseball as a leisurely activity, but it is still a sport. I've played pick up basketball games as a leisure activity, but it is still a sport.

There is a difference between those sports and golf..

You cant really get your friends together and play 11 on 11 full pad football.. how many times as anyone played 9 on 9 baseball with friends all out, as in the pitcher is throwing hard someone is callin balls and strikes etc..

You can literally go play golf exactly like tiger woods does, the only difference is you arent good.. and good in terms of being on the PGA tour..

Im not trying to bash golf, i just dont think its a sport nor do i think they are athletes especially when people in their 60's or older can play..

QUOTE (T R U @ Nov 28, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)

You cant really get your friends together and play 11 on 11 full pad football.. how many times as anyone played 9 on 9 baseball with friends all out, as in the pitcher is throwing hard someone is callin balls and strikes etc..

You can literally go play golf exactly like tiger woods does, the only difference is you arent good.. and good in terms of being on the PGA tour..

Im not trying to bash golf, i just dont think its a sport nor do i think they are athletes especially when people in their 60's or older can play..

There's a little more intensity at a professional golf tournament than there is when 4 hacks get together and the most important thing is the location of the beer cart. I went to college and am friends with a pro golfer who has won one PGA event but has mostly struggled during his career. (Although he has about $2 million in earnings). I've played golf with him. If you ever saw him playing with me and some buddies vs. how he plays on tour, there is absolutely no comparison.

This makes no sense at all. So because I may go play flag football with friends that doesn't make it a sport because we don't have pads or tackle? Or because there's no ump calling balls and strikes in a pickup baseball game that makes it less of a sport?

I can literally go throw footballs like Peyton Manning, shoot basketballs like Kobe Bryant & kick soccer balls like David Beckham...the only difference is I'm not any good. But those aren't sports either then right?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
I'm with TRU. Golf and bowling are definitely not sports.

Bowling is a hobby or activity, but I can argue that WALKING 18 holes and trying to physically and mentally be consistent hitting a golf ball where you want it to go is most definitely a sport.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
This makes no sense at all. So because I may go play flag football with friends that doesn't make it a sport because we don't have pads or tackle? Or because there's no ump calling balls and strikes in a pickup baseball game that makes it less of a sport?

I can literally go throw footballs like Peyton Manning, shoot basketballs like Kobe Bryant & kick soccer balls like David Beckham...the only difference is I'm not any good. But those aren't sports either then right?

Going and playing flag football with friends is not comparable to playing an actual football game where as you could go play 18 holes the exact same way as a professional golfer does obviously though not as good.. thats the point im making and it makes more than perfect sense..

14 year old girls play professional golf.. Senior citizens play professional golf..

QUOTE (T R U @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 07:58 PM)
Going and playing flag football with friends is not comparable to playing an actual football game where as you could go play 18 holes the exact same way as a professional golfer does obviously though not as good.. thats the point im making and it makes more than perfect sense..

14 year old girls play professional golf.. Senior citizens play professional golf..

Senior Citizens play White Sox baseball.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
Bowling is a hobby or activity, but I can argue that WALKING 18 holes and trying to physically and mentally be consistent hitting a golf ball where you want it to go is most definitely a sport.

Dude golf is a hobby or activity.. just to put it in your thought here, how could you not make the same argument for bowling? Trying to be physically and mentally consistent to aim a 15+ lb ball, adding spin etc. The spelling bee is on ESPN is that a sport too? You have to be mentally consistent with your spelling.. how about pool or darts?

To me stuff like bowling, pool, golf, etc. those are hobbies or leisure activities.. Its something that anyone can do regardless of reasonable age.. pick up basketball or flag football are variations of their respective sports.. and I wont even get into trying to play pick up baseball, ive prolly played that about 3 times in my life and it always turned into a big mess anyways.. but you know what is always easy, going bowling or getting a tee time and going and playing 18 holes with some friends..

You can play golf like Tiger Woods about as much as you can play baseball like Arod. In the same sense that you don't play 9 on 9 baseball with umps and the like, you don't play in PGA tour events with crowds of fans and tour officials. Age also has nothing to do with it. Some of the best distance runners the world are old. Heck there are guys who can marathon into their 60's and still break three hours. Are you going to tell me that a marathoner isn't participating in a sport, just because some old people are good at it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
Are you going to tell me that a marathoner isn't participating in a sport, just because some old people are good at it?

Uh yes..

Ive already made my case, some people are going to think certain things are sports.. others aren't.. my opinion isn't going to change on that and neither are yours, no big deal..

QUOTE (T R U @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
Uh yes..

Ive already made my case, some people are going to think certain things are sports.. others aren't.. my opinion isn't going to change on that and neither are yours, no big deal..

What percentage of the population of even professional athletes do you think could run 26.2 miles?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
What percentage of the population of even professional athletes do you think could run 26.2 miles?

Not many, but that doesn't make them more of an athlete.. I don't particularly consider being able to run for long distances being "athletic"

Most people use broad terms of athlete and sport when talking about stuff like this.. I hate that, gymnastics and swimming aren't sports to me.. I don't consider them athletes.. same for running etc.

ESPN pisses me off so much when they say Tiger Woods is the best athlete in the world..

but like I said, there are broad definitions for it.. I am on the other side..

Edited by T R U

QUOTE (T R U @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
Not many, but that doesn't make them more of an athlete.. I don't particularly consider being able to run for long distances being "athletic"

Most people use broad terms of athlete and sport when talking about stuff like this.. I hate that, gymnastics and swimming aren't sports to me.. I don't consider them athletes.. same for running etc.

ESPN pisses me off so much when they say Tiger Woods is the best athlete in the world..

So what exactly does it take to be a sport? Young and Strong?

QUOTE (T R U @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)

So someone like Tiger Woods or Phelps isnt an athlete but someone like David Wells is? Are professional field goal kickers/punters athletes in your opinion?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)
So someone like Tiger Woods or Phelps isnt an athlete but someone like David Wells is? Are professional field goal kickers/punters athletes in your opinion?

No they arent athletes..

Neither is David Wells, I never said that everyone playing baseball was an athlete.. however, that's just about the only major sport where you can get away with that..

I also wouldn't lump ALL kickers into the non athlete category..

I believe there needs to be someone on the other end stopping you from doing what you are trying to accomplish, defense if you will. There is no one stopping you from your goal other than mother nature at times, and yourself... when it comes to golf, swimming, bowling, darts, running, bicycling, etc. There are some athletes in everything i just listed, but the numbers are very small in comparison to the big four sports. Athleticism goes hand in hand with a sport, if you are not athletic, well, you just don't have much of a chance.

I think one reason people cannot distinguish the difference is because of the olympics. At one point they simply were known as the olympic games, and for good reason. More times than not something is just a game/competition/race but over time they have gotten the silly reputation to be something more than they are, likely due to popularity. No one would ever be able to convince me that fishing, gymnastics, shooting, archery, cheerleading are sports, no way no how. Though gymnasts vary from that group i mentioned because every single one of them are athletic.

If anyone can look at this list that the olympic committee considers all to be sports, without letting out at least one laugh, something is likely not right with your head.

http://www.olympic.org/en/content/Sports/