Bill James handbook

Princess Dye

I'm going on a second day of reproducing soxmachine.com stuff...but some of this is just so interesting..and honestly I think the board needs a wealth of new topics

http://soxmachine.com/soxmachine/2009/12/0...-handbook-2010/

Jermaine Dye was the worst right fielder over the last year (-28), and over the last three years cumulatively (-81).

Chris Getz was the only infielder to show up on the plus-minus trailers list, finishing 10 plays below average, sixth-worst among major-league second basemen.

Ozzie Guillen used the second-fewest relievers of any manager, five more than Don Wakamatsu.

Gavin Floyd has the least-hittable curve in terms of OPS (.410).

Also interesting is Quentin's defense being perhaps something we arent critical enough of...............and something I've thought about for awhile now....that it may be time to increase Carrasco's role. Especially with Hudson being ideal for long relief....and with Dotel potentially out.

•The Sox were second-to-last in manufactured runs (137), which should come as no surprise. Only the Royals were worse (130).

•At .370, Alexei Ramirez had the second-highest batting average against left-handed pitching. Derek Jeter hit .395.

•Scott Podsednik (5.58) and A.J. Pierzynski (5.90) finished sixth- and seventh-worst in percentage of plate appearances resulting in an RBI.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
•The Sox were second-to-last in manufactured runs (137), which should come as no surprise. Only the Royals were worse (130).

I hate this stat. It strongly overplays the influence of the bunt, and the hit-andrun, i always find it interesting to look at the wasted outs stat too, and see how much they resemble each other.