Merkin mailbag...

southsider2k5

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Inbox: Gathering around the Hot Stove

Beat reporter Scott Merkin answers Sox fans' questions

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

11/30/09 10:00 AM EST

CHICAGO -- Here's hoping everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and didn't down too much turkey, stuffing or candied yams. I also want to throw out a reminder that there are only 83 days until pitchers and catchers report to Camelback Ranch for the start of White Sox Spring Training.

With the Chicago weather consistently in the 50s, that date might not matter right now. But it will loom large as the Spring Training countdown starts to drop with the winter temperatures.

With the Tigers possibly looking to dump some salary, is it possible the White Sox would look to trade for Curtis Granderson? I'm partial since he graduated from Thornton Fractional South in Lansing the year after I did.

-- Tim, Lansing, Ill.

Granderson has a big following in the Chicago area, from both his high school days in the SICA conferences and his collegiate innings logged for UIC. But even if Detroit has put Granderson on the trading block, I can't see the Tigers trading such a talented player within the division. He would be a nice fit, though, in the middle of the White Sox outfield.

I heard a rumor that the White Sox were interested in Hideki Matsui. How true is this, and would he be a good fit?

-- Steve, Plainfield, Ill.

I've seen a number of top 10 or top 50 free-agent projections from national baseball writers placing Matsui ultimately with the White Sox. I've also read a couple projecting Vladimir Guerrero as their designated hitter for at least 2010.

Both players would be strong additions to the White Sox attack, with manager Ozzie Guillen counting Guerrero as one of his closer friends in the game. General manager Ken Williams also expressed great respect for Matsui at the recently completed General Managers' Meetings, but at this point, I really believe Matsui is going to command too much money for the White Sox budget.

Guillen also made an interesting point during a Monday conference call regarding this specific position, in that it doesn't sound as if he wants one set designated hitter. He wants to be able to rotate players into that spot and have those players also be able to fill in at other positions.

Guillen's comment could be bad news for a Jim Thome return to the South Side -- although the White Sox are in need of another left-handed bat -- and could also mean the White Sox fill the DH from within via players such as Tyler Flowers and Mark Kotsay. Then again, the White Sox could employ a speed guy at DH, and fill from within for the lone outfield vacancy. The name of Jordan Danks jumps to mind.

Regardless of the plan, I just don't see the White Sox, as they are currently constructed, making big splashes on the market to fill both openings.

What do you hear about the plans for the future of Jared Mitchell? Since his game seems to be more advanced at a young age, like Gordon Beckham's clearly is, do you think we might be seeing him getting a real chance next season?

-- Mike, Georgetown, Texas

Don't look for Mitchell to arrive in Chicago during the 2010 campaign, as he needs at least one full year in the Minors to help refine his overall game. Remember, the White Sox top pick in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft had a mere 115 at-bats at Class A Kannapolis in 2009, and I don't think he's quite as advanced as Beckham at this stage.

But some point during the 2011 season would be a possibility for Mitchell. His talented presence, along with the overall excellence that is Jordan Danks, will make it interesting as to how Williams assembles the outfield in the present. Will the White Sox opt for a one-year free-agent signing, such as Scott Podsednik or Coco Crisp, or will they move one of these young outfielders for another important piece if they go after a youthful veteran outfielder such as Tampa Bay's B.J. Upton, purely as an example who would fit?

Well, there have been some big rumors going around saying Paul Konerko is going to the Angels and Adrian Gonzalez coming to the White Sox, but we would give up prospects. Can we afford to weaken our farm system?

-- Peter, Chicago

Here's what I know: Don't go out and start buying your No. 23 Gonzalez White Sox jerseys quite yet, assuming Omar Vizquel doesn't take that number.

The White Sox definitely have interest in Gonzalez and have for a while. But then again, why would any team not want to acquire a Gold Glove-caliber defender at first base, who has 40-home run power and only figures to get better at the ripe old age of 27? Did I mention Gonzalez will earn $4.75 million in 2010, and has a $5.5 million club option for 2011, making him one of the top bargains in all of Major League Baseball? If San Diego does decide to move Gonzalez, you can count on him wanting to go to a team where he can get some sort of long-term extension.

I've also been told the Angels were not involved in any sort of three-way deal involving Konerko, who has a full no-trade clause. The Angels have high-end free agents of their own to focus on, such as Chone Figgins and John Lackey, as mentioned to me by our Angles beat writer, Lyle Spencer. And if they wanted for some reason to move Kendry Morales from first to designated hitter and bring in another first baseman, then why wouldn't they go out and get Gonzalez with their own prospects? His salary is lower than Konerko's, and he's younger.

You can also expect any deal for Gonzalez to start with a White Sox player of Beckham's caliber as asked for in return. And I don't see Beckham going anywhere any time soon.

Do you think the White Sox will re-sign Konerko after the 2010 season?

-- Jack, Chicago

Konerko has far more value to the White Sox, and probably any franchise where he suited up, than simply his solid on-field contributions. He's a leader through the way he works at his craft, through the way he contributes to the community where he works and through the way he carries himself and conducts his business in the clubhouse.

In talking to White Sox hitting coach Greg Walker last week, he explained how Konerko's .277 average, 28 home runs and 88 RBIs were undervalued as an overall effort with the bat for 2009. The White Sox will have other options at first base when Konerko's current deal expires after the 2010 campaign, but I definitely could see the White Sox bringing him back for another year. He's a great influence on younger players, as told to me by a number of younger players.

What will the White Sox bullpen look like in 2010? It's hard for me to picture it right now.

-- Lisa, Buffalo Grove, Ill.

I'm guessing Guillen will go with seven relievers, so you can count on closer Bobby Jenks, Matt Thornton, Scott Linebrink, Tony Pena and D.J. Carrasco as current locks. If the White Sox fill the last two spots from their system, Daniel Hudson, Jhonny Nunez, Lucas Harrell, Jon Link and Randy Williams all will be in competition, and the South Siders definitely will need a second southpaw.

If they go outside, a couple of interesting names would be J.J. Putz, who is close friends with Thornton, and left-hander Will Ohman, who the team has checked out previously.

In talking to White Sox hitting coach Greg Walker last week, he explained how Konerko's .277 average, 28 home runs and 88 RBIs were undervalued as an overall effort with the bat for 2009. The White Sox will have other options at first base when Konerko's current deal expires after the 2010 campaign, but I definitely could see the White Sox bringing him back for another year. He's a great influence on younger players, as told to me by a number of younger players.

.....and then SSI71's head exploded

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
Vlad Guerreo over J Dye? Not at this point in VG's career, but read the story... he is loved by Ozzie. I just hope that is worthless scribe tripe.

What exactly is the difference between the current points in their careers? Neither has any business playing the outfield everyday but one is willing to accept a full time DH position and the other is not. They've also put up nearly identical production over the past 2 years with the only real difference being that Vlad missed some time last year. I'd say Vlad has considerably more upside as a hitter.

I actually would be pretty happy with a JJ Putz and Vlad signing. While ideally we would make some big splashes in f/a and trade for Adrian Gonzalez, I think those 2 players are pretty good can be had for a reasonable price and would help the team out. I do think even with those 2 we would still need one more player, whether its Nick Johnson if they want to play Vlad in the OF or Id love a Johnny Damon signing.

Considering how guys like Teahan supposedly will be much improved if he just plays one position and how some guys who haven't DHd much struggle when they DH, I'm starting to wonder if it really is a good idea to be rotating that position very much. At least have one guy DH at least half the time. As for JD vs. Vlad, one big difference is Vlad will DH extensively, JD has already stated he is very much opposed.

I also have always wondered if a guy is a good friend of Ozzie, and there are still several active players that fall into this category, does it make no difference to KW, or is it a plus, you probably are guaranteed he won't have a problem with the manager, or could it be a minus, even if it isn't true, he might be perceived to get special treatment and it could divide a clubhouse if things go wrong. I would imagine it probably makes no difference other than Ozzie may have some special insight.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
What exactly is the difference between the current points in their careers? Neither has any business playing the outfield everyday but one is willing to accept a full time DH position and the other is not. They've also put up nearly identical production over the past 2 years with the only real difference being that Vlad missed some time last year. I'd say Vlad has considerably more upside as a hitter.

You're right, both are pretty much the same at this point. However, Dye ended last year hitting like crap while Guerrero ended the year pretty strong. Plus, I'd also say that Guerrero is actually a little better of a fielder than Dye at this point, but only because Dye sucks a lot.

Lastly, I think Guerrero's name puts people in the seats. More so than Dye or Thome.

I thought the Sox didn't have that much to spend, how are we going to afford both Guerrero and Putz? I mean, I would love to get both, but I just don't see it.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
You're right, both are pretty much the same at this point. However, Dye ended last year hitting like crap while Guerrero ended the year pretty strong. Plus, I'd also say that Guerrero is actually a little better of a fielder than Dye at this point, but only because Dye sucks a lot.

Lastly, I think Guerrero's name puts people in the seats. More so than Dye or Thome.

I thought the Sox didn't have that much to spend, how are we going to afford both Guerrero and Putz? I mean, I would love to get both, but I just don't see it.

If the Sox are able to offer a $1M base salary plus incentives to Putz then they should be in the market for him, and though I don't know what Vlad will get, there are a lot of DH types on the market and only so many DH slots available, so he might have to settle for something similar to the figure above.

I would think there's a team out there that would give Vladimir Guerrero at least $5 million guaranteed for 2010, it not a bit more.

Heck, just for name recognition alone, having Guerrero and Andruw Jones on our team would probably pay for itself, especially Vladimir. He's still one of the most recognizable names in the game today...and the entertainment value of having The Impaler and The Cuban Missile on the same team, with their propensity for swinging at almost everything within range of home plate, would be a sight to see (or bemoan).

I also picked Guerrero as the most likely name for us, over the likes of Matsui/Damon, Thome and others that have been bandied about.

Also, HOPE Merkin is wrong about our bullpen (the names he listed from our minor league system don't impress very much), and I think he's overestimating a bit how quickly Jordan Danks and Jared Mitchell will be making significant contributions. Danks is very much a work in progress, a little like a Ryan Sweeney with perhaps more upside potential because of his athleticism and ability to play CF so well, but just as likely a candidate to go Brian Anderson on us at the major league level because of his swing.

Worst-case, we go with ONE internal candidate for the bullpen and cover the other one through veteran signing "on the cheap" or the waiver wire. If Jenks is gone, that really could throw the entire bullpen situation into disarray, but if we could have Vladimir Guerrero and another reliever (maybe even Putz) instead of Jenks, I would go for it and cross my fingers if I were KW.

I'd really be curious to see the physical condition of Jenks 2 month into the offseason.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
Adding Vlad as our dh just makes a ton of sense to me.

I feel the same way, Vlad is a guy who will hit near .300 and produce around 55 XBH. He doesn't strike out (he has never struck out more than 95 times in a season) and he smashes righties, which is something we need with our lack of LH power (.311/.354/.477/.831 against righties last year, .316/.376/.526/903 w/ 53 home runs against righties the past 3 seasons.)

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
I feel like Vlad has always been bad facing the white sox. Though maybe i'm just thinking about 05 postseason.

Up till this past postseason, Vlad has been horrible in the playoffs. So it's not only us...

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
i want carlos delgado

I would agree with this. Delgado could be the power lefty the Sox could really use if he's healthy enough. He'd put down the nonsense of having a rotating DH, which never works.

If you sign Delgado, the Sox hitting roster would probably be set, assuming we carry 12 pitchers again.

C - AJ

1b -- Konerko

2b -- Beckham

SS -- Alexei

3b -- Teahan

LF -- Quentin

CF -- Rios

RF --

DH -- Delgado

Bench: Kotsay, Flowers, Vizquel, Nix, Jones

With this group, the Sox would be forced to rotate Kotsay/Jones/Nix in RF, or cut Nix and sign a RF.

Not the best solution, but probably better than signing a RF and rotating Kotsay/Jones at DH. (BTW -- Ozzie will not DH his back-up catcher.)

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
Nick Johnson

I like Nick Johnson too. High OBP guy. But Delgado, if he's recovered from hip surgery, has much higher power potential than Johnson. He's slugged under .500 only once in the last 10 years. Nick Johnson has done so only once. Plus, Johnson regularly gets hurt. Delgado has mostly stayed healthy.