Merkin mailbag...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (VAfan @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
I would agree with this. Delgado could be the power lefty the Sox could really use if he's healthy enough. He'd put down the nonsense of having a rotating DH, which never works.

If you sign Delgado, the Sox hitting roster would probably be set, assuming we carry 12 pitchers again.

C - AJ

1b -- Konerko

2b -- Beckham

SS -- Alexei

3b -- Teahan

LF -- Quentin

CF -- Rios

RF --

DH -- Delgado

Bench: Kotsay, Flowers, Vizquel, Nix, Jones

With this group, the Sox would be forced to rotate Kotsay/Jones/Nix in RF, or cut Nix and sign a RF.

Not the best solution, but probably better than signing a RF and rotating Kotsay/Jones at DH. (BTW -- Ozzie will not DH his back-up catcher.)

Jesus... It's bad enough that people are actually mentioning a 38 year old, doesn't like the National Anthem, vetoed two trades to come here Carlos Delgado as a good acquisition (if we are going that route, just give me Jim Thome), but you do realize that is 26 overall on the roster (12+14) you just named (assuming as you said the RF spot gets filled as we don't want a ghost out there)?

If there's one player I would love to see the sox buy low on (perhaps a minor league deal), who actually could go back to his numbers a couple years ago and is still in his prime years (I believe is 29 going on 30) is Austin Kearns. He was a superior defensive RF (top 5 in the fielding bible from 05-07 and still is very good looking at his defensive metrics and hell even a pair of eyes you can tell he's good, but was limited to injuries/bad play this past season to really show much.. good LF as well) and could be one change of scenery (maybe one Walker teaching ala Quentin) away from getting back on track as a player. The guy can definitely take a walk (and hit respectively) when he's on. This is assuming KW doesn't make any trades/other signings for the OF (though I will never count him out) during the winter meetings. You get a career .353 obp in Kearns and hope at ST he shows signs (if not I'm sure KW will sign an insurance vet/trade, maybe De Aza shows something with Ozzie?), you can sign Johnson at the DH for more obp (which this team really, really needs to manufacture runs), and try your damnest to see Yo Adrian! on this club (though Konerko is fine) and suddenly your offense becomes much, much better overall.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 5, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
that doesnt fly at all with ozzie. he has two rules remember, be on time and the anthem. so as dumb as it may sound,we wont get him because of that too

That's not dumb at all. You don't have to love the way America currently operates in order to appreciate all those who fought and died for reasons much greater than themselves, including the one which allows foreigners like Carlos Delgado to come here out of poverty and accumulate millions and millions of dollars for themselves and their children.

And the "be on time" thing? Yeah, that's pretty f***ing important too.