Winter Meetings?

balfanman

First off I was just wondering exactly when the Winter Meeting are scheduled for. Aren't they fairly soon?

I was also wondering if anyone has any kind of a feel about just what K. W. is working on, what his plan is? I know that there have been a lot of rumors so far this off season and Kenny was probably just feeling things out. Now that he's done that, what do you think that he will focus on?

My personal feeling, maybe it's just a wish, is that Kenny is going to hotly pursue the Gonzales deal. I think that he still wants to make a big splash and that he knows that this offense is not good enough, even with our pitching, to compete for a championship. I know that many things probably have to take place for this to happen, dump salary, etc.; but I just can't see Kenny just sitting back and hoping that this offense is good enough after he has put together this pitching staff. I think that he (the Gambler) goes for broke.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sox wont make a big splash right now via trade unless it saves money (like Gonzalez). The money saving deal that makes you better.....not easy to do.

I'd expect more scrap heap type signings...Pods Thome still not out of the question.

There's too much upside to doing it that way. You can keep your prospects and then have all this cash freed up next year with a better free agency crop.

The only downside is the possibility that Hudson and Flowers are at their peak trade value right now......

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
December 7th-10th in Indianapolis

You guys should go...it's a lot of fun.

Last year it was out here in Vegas at the Bellagio and my friend and I headed over there one night. Saw and met a lot of cool people, including the Ozzeroo, Steve Phillips (no, I did not see his mistress), Mike Scoscia, Terry Francona, Tommy Lasorda, Ron Washington, Dusty "big pimpin" Baker, Ken Rosenthal, Jim Hendry, Joe Nathan, Peter Gammons, and others.

It's really a lot of fun, although I am not sure there will be as many personalities this year as Indianapolis clearly isn't Sin City.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
Just a matter of semantics I guess, but I would consider Upton a huge move.

but why would you want to trade good prospects for him,because like someone said in a different thread. he has a ton of potential but he is a question mark. its not 100% sure thing like gonzalez. if im making a trade its for gonzalez not for upton...or am i wrong?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
but why would you want to trade good prospects for him,because like someone said in a different thread. he has a ton of potential but he is a question mark. its not 100% sure thing like gonzalez. if im making a trade its for gonzalez not for upton...or am i wrong?

Gonzalez, being a sure thing, would cost several times more than it would to acquire Upton, who is a gamble but with tons of potential. That gamble should lower the price.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)

I have no idea what the trade pieces would end up being or how badly Tampa would want to deal him if at all. I would much rather have Gonzales as more of a proven comodity. I'm simply commenting that I would consider obtaining Upton a rather large move.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 04:32 AM)

I agree if were trading guys like hudson flowers etc then its for AGON not upton . and for those of you that think we will get upton for danks 2 and jenks your living in fantasy land

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
Gonzalez, being a sure thing, would cost several times more than it would to acquire Upton, who is a gamble but with tons of potential. That gamble should lower the price.

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe Gonzalez costs a liiiiiiiittle bit more than Upton, but Upton isn't going to come cheap at all. Tampa has no reason to move him unless they get a massive package back in return. You don't give up a talent like that for a couple pretty decent prospects.

I went to them the last time that they were in Nashville. It is a good time.

You see all the newspaper reporters from around the country, ESPN and MLB Network both did live shows on location. Saw Peter Gammons and the infamous Steve Phillips. Managers such as Joe Torre, Terry Francona, Joe Girardi, and others were always willing to stop and pose for a photo and talk baseball.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
With as much attention as there is on DeRosa right now he should be able to get a lucrative multi-year deal. I wonder if people realize he's 35 years old and is a man without a position.

The Cubs will sign him to a 5 year back loaded contract.

I get a text last night from a friend visiting another friend in Canton, Il. " I walk into this dive bar and Jim Thome and Jermaine Dye are here chillin. There's only like 20 people here. A bunch of hillbilly chicks were hitting on em. They got two of the girls to make out because of who they were.

Maybe they'll get even more lucky and get inked during the meetings?

It must have been hilarious to see JD and Thome in a run of the mill bar in Canton, IL randomly.

I get a text last night from a friend visiting another friend in Canton, Il. " I walk into this dive bar and Jim Thome and Jermaine Dye are here chillin. There's only like 20 people here. A bunch of hillbilly chicks were hitting on em. They got two of the girls to make out because of who they were.

Maybe they'll get even more lucky and get inked during the meetings?

It must have been hilarious to see JD and Thome in a run of the mill bar in Canton, IL randomly.

make out with who? each other?