Wagner to Sign with Braves

striker

Good signing, Wagner looked good with the BoSox, and should probably only get better as he heals from surgery. I wonder if this signing pushes Soriano to free agency to be a closer somewhere. His stuff is nasty, if they hold onto him, thats a pretty solid 8th/9th inning combo they will have going.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
$7 million for him? I don't think so. Not in this market.

It's only a 1 year commitment and truth is; injuries aside, he hasn't had a bad year since 2000. Assuming he stays healthy odds are they just signed a top flight closer for $7M, they believe they're ready to win now -- and with that rotation who can blame them? -- and the acquisition of Wagner puts them in a good place going forward since they still have all their chips in hand and one of their biggest needs filled.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
It's only a 1 year commitment and truth is; injuries aside, he hasn't had a bad year since 2000. Assuming he stays healthy odds are they just signed a top flight closer for $7M, they believe they're ready to win now -- and with that rotation who can blame them? -- and the acquisition of Wagner puts them in a good place going forward since they still have all their chips in hand and one of their biggest needs filled.

Absolutely. Only 1 guaranteed year for a RP like Wagner is a fantastic deal. They probably paid a mil or so more to make the second year a vesting option, but it makes this signing great, imo. Soriano, Gonzalez, and Valverde are all going to get at least 2 guaranteed years. I think the Wagner signing will end up being the best of all 4.