Kenny Williams interview

southsider2k5

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
I hope i don't have to remind people the track record mlb trade rumors started off with. It used to be one of the least reliable places around. Tim dierkes does not have much, if any, room to talk.

I don't believe that was Tim who said that.

I contacted Tim personally about this rumor, and he plainly said he checked with his own source, who contradicted the one here, and he was choosing not to mention it on his site.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
No track record doesn't mean wrong. Those guys defended their source over and over. Guys like Cowley attacked them because a couple part-time bloggers broke a story that he didn't.

Was the identity of that source ever revealed? If not, MLBTR looks a little silly ripping a source that they don't know anything about.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
Ugh, to me Danks is untouchable.

I wouldn't say untouchable, but I wouldn't deal him for two years of Gonzalez.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
KW wouldn't. That's all that matters (thank the good lord).

If John Danks and some prospects at their highest value stand in the way of one of baseball's elite players in both offense AND defense, you deal him.

Danks rejected the deal Floyd signed last year and went out and regressed in ERA, BB, Ks and served up almost twice as many HRs last season.

Gonzalez is a premiere offensive player, a Gold Glove defender and has a very reasonable contract going forward. He's EXACTLY what the Sox need now and for the next several years.

That is a trade you make yesterday.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)
Sox fans over-value John Danks. He's a decent pitcher.

A 24-year old left-handed starter like Danks is a very valuable player.

And do you remember last year... 2008... when he was 5th in the AL in ERA? And that the only 4 pitchers ahead of him were Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Dice-K, and Jon Lester?

I think that qualifies as a little better than 'decent'.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
A 24-year old left-handed starter like Danks is a very valuable player.

And do you remember last year... 2008... when he was 5th in the AL in ERA? And that the only 4 pitchers ahead of him were Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Dice-K, and Jon Lester?

I think that qualifies as a little better than 'decent'.

Not when you regress the way he did in 2009.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 11:48 PM)
I think you over-value your own importance...

Just a word of mouth.. cool it with post like those bro. Don't like seeing posters (in general) go out on a bad note.

**EDIT: Saw you deleted your post, but still an FYI.**

God damn I hate my slow ass computer.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 12:09 AM)
Just a word of mouth.. cool it with post like those bro. Don't like seeing posters (in general) go out on a bad note.

**EDIT: Saw you deleted your post, but still an FYI.**

God damn I hate my slow ass computer.

Yeah, I thought twice about it.

"I think you over-value your own opinions..."

There is no reason to start s*** with me like that.

If you're gonna celebrate that crap with "Very well said", don't warn me not to respond to it a minute later.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 01:35 AM)
Danks is decent:

Career:

31-33 - 4.06 ERA - .258 AVG - 1.33 WHIP

That is 3rd or 4th starter material on an average MLB staff.

Wow, youre really going to include his rookie season where he obviously was adjusting to ML talent?

Year Age Tm Lg W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9

2008 23 CHW AL 12 9 .571 3.32 33 33 0 0 0 0 195.0 182 74 72 15 57 1 159 4 0 7 804 138 1.226 8.4 0.7 2.6 7.3

2009 24 CHW AL 13 11 .542 3.77 32 32 0 1 0 0 200.1 184 89 84 28 73 1 149 5 0 1 839 123 1.283 8.3 1.3 3.3 6.7

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 12:35 AM)
Danks is decent:

Career:

There are 30 teams in MLB. Even if you want to go by his career line and include his rookie season where he posted a 5.50 ERA, in order for your statement to be correct you would have to at least list 60 other starting pitchers in baseball who have been better than that over a 3 year period. Good luck with that.

Danks may be a #3/#4 for US but we also have one of the best starting staffs in all of baseball. Danks is an ace or #2 on most teams out there.

Danks is decent:

Career:

So, if this is your logic, you must think Gavin Floyd is pretty horrible as well, right?

Career:

36-29 - 4.67 ERA - .259 avg - 1.37 WHIP

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
If John Danks and some prospects at their highest value stand in the way of one of baseball's elite players in both offense AND defense, you deal him.

Danks rejected the deal Floyd signed last year and went out and regressed in ERA, BB, Ks and served up almost twice as many HRs last season.

Gonzalez is a premiere offensive player, a Gold Glove defender and has a very reasonable contract going forward. He's EXACTLY what the Sox need now and for the next several years.

That is a trade you make yesterday.

No, it's not nearly as simple as you make it. One, when you're trading for a player like AG, you do it with the intention of trying to put yourself in a better position than you would be without him to win a championship. Trading away Danks AND Hudson leaves us with a rotation of Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, Garcia, ?. Our top 3 is obviously very good. But who knows what will get from Freddy? Yeah, IF he's reasonably healthy he should be about league average. But he's made a whopping 23 starts over the last 3 years. What happens if/when Freddy goes down? Then you have two GAPING holes in your rotation. With nobody even close to major league ready in our system (remember, your scenario has us trading Hudson), we'd be, well, f***ed! And this idea you have that John's "regressed" is rather silly. Yeah, his '09 wasn't as good as '08. But the dude is 24 freaking years old. He hasn't come close to touching his ceiling.

this is from fox sports.com

Jenks' future with White Sox up in the air — 11:33 p.m.

It's one of the hottest questions in the baseball industry.

What will the White Sox do with closer Bobby Jenks?

If the Sox offer Jenks a contract, they could end up paying him $8 million in salary arbitration.

If they do not, Jenks will become a free agent, and the Rays, Astros and other clubs almost certainly will try to pounce on him at a reduced rate.

Jenks, 28, is coming off a season of decline. He has engaged in a running debate with club officials over his conditioning. But if the White Sox allow him to reach the open market, they would lack a proven replacement.

Sox GM Ken Williams told MLB.com on Wednesday, "He's my closer, and I haven't had one trade discussion about him." Two rival general managers disputed that claim, saying that Williams aggressively tried to move Jenks earlier this offseason.

"Kenny was looking for a real package a couple of weeks back," one of the rival general managers said.

Interested teams are willing to wait, figuring the White Sox might blink by Dec. 12, the deadline for clubs to offer contracts to arbitration-eligible players. But Williams, who recently signed veteran shortstop Omar Vizquel and outfielder Andruw Jones as bench players, clearly is trying to win in 2010.

And the White Sox, after shedding the salaries of designated hitter Jim Thome, right fielder Jermaine Dye, right-hander Jose Contreras and right-handed reliever Octavio Dotel, should be flexible enough to absorb Jenks' salary for one more season.

"He's not worth what he'll make in arb, but he's not a giveaway, either," one of the rival general managers said, downplaying the possibility that the White Sox might dump Jenks in a trade or as a nontender.

Then again, the free-agent market offers alternatives that are more affordable — and perhaps more reliable. The White Sox could end up pursuing one of those options if they decide that they've had enough of Jenks.

Danks is decent:

Career:

I can also remember several games, especially his rookie season, where Danks either got a no decision or a loss due to bullpen or offensive failure.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 07:59 AM)
I can also remember several games, especially his rookie season, where Danks either got a no decision or a loss due to bullpen or offensive failure.

He also had a massive collapse with a dead arm in the last half of his rookie year which makes those numbers look worse than they really are. He has had an ERA+ of 1.38 and 1.23 in the last two seasons. Last year he was still three tenths of a run under that career era number. Overall record is about as pointless of a stat as their is for evaluating a pitcher. Batters hit .245 off of him, with an OBP of .314 and an OPS against of .726. That is a good pitcher.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
Danks is decent:

Career:

In a hitter's park in the AL, that's #2 or #3 at worst material. His WHIP over the past two seasons was 1.28 and 1.23. His ERA+ was 123 and 138, respectively. That would make him a solid #2 on most teams.

Throw in the fact that Danks is young, relatively cheap, and under team control, he's worth a ton right now.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 12:35 AM)
Danks is decent:

Career:

Compare that to other 24 year old pitchers and let's see how he was ranked.

Anyone with a BP subscription pull out the comparabe player listing and that should tells us what we need to know. His VORP was 25th in all of baseball not bad but again he is 24.