Kenny Williams interview

southsider2k5

To me, Danks at 24 is still a work in progress that is only going to get better. He had a tough rookie campaign. The league had him figured out and then he adjusted and put up a very impressive 2008. He pitched a ton more innings in 2008 than 2007 and the scouting reports on him became more precise. Hitters adjusted again and his 2009 was a little weaker than 2008, but just a little. I anticipate a stronger Danks in 2010 and another adjustment on his part. If the Sox had one game left in the season and it determined whether they make the payoffs or not, I would start Danks over Floyd, Buehrle and possibly over Freddy if his arm is not 100% (I have not seen enough of Peavy to make that choice just yet).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
Compare that to other 24 year old pitchers and let's see how he was ranked.

Anyone with a BP subscription pull out the comparabe player listing and that should tells us what we need to know. His VORP was 25th in all of baseball not bad but again he is 24.

Which means that out of 800+ players, he was in the top 3% or so. Yeah, that is a little better than decent.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
To me, Danks at 24 is still a work in progress that is only going to get better. He had a tough rookie campaign. The league had him figured out and then he adjusted and put up a very impressive 2008. He pitched a ton more innings in 2008 than 2007 and the scouting reports on him became more precise. Hitters adjusted again and his 2009 was a little weaker than 2008, but just a little. I anticipate a stronger Danks in 2010 and another adjustment on his part. If the Sox had one game left in the season and it determined whether they make the payoffs or not, I would start Danks over Floyd, Buehrle and possibly over Freddy if his arm is not 100% (I have not seen enough of Peavy to make that choice just yet).

You're obviously basing this off of John's spectacular performance against the Twins in the tiebreaker game. And as good as he was (he was filthy), it was just one game. Jake Peavy is without question the best pitcher on this team. You always goes with your best in a do or die situation (unless circumstances out of your control dictates otherwise).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)

Possibly over Freddy?? You are saying that Freddy and Peavy are our two best pitchers? Don't make him out to be more than he is, a 5th starter who is past his prime. I think Danks is going to be a very good pitcher in the next few years.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
Possibly over Freddy?? You are saying that Freddy and Peavy are our two best pitchers? Don't make him out to be more than he is, a 5th starter who is past his prime. I think Danks is going to be a very good pitcher in the next few years.

I agree that he is an aged 5th starter with big question marks about his health right now. What I meant is, in a big game, there is no one on the team who has historically put it all out there any better than FG. That is why I mentioned he had to be healthy, which I acknowledge is a big "if". I just think Danks is nails and has shown if the pressure is on, he can throw up zeros with the best of them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
You're obviously basing this off of John's spectacular performance against the Twins in the tiebreaker game. And as good as he was (he was filthy), it was just one game. Jake Peavy is without question the best pitcher on this team. You always goes with your best in a do or die situation (unless circumstances out of your control dictates otherwise).

It is more than just the one game playoff, where he was stellar. He struggled at times in 2009, but I believe he has the talent and guts to beat anyone on any day, especially when it is needed most. I agree with you on Peavy and that is why I left him off my list. It will be interesting to see how he fares over a full season in the AL, though.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
I agree that he is an aged 5th starter with big question marks about his health right now. What I meant is, in a big game, there is no one on the team who has historically put it all out there any better than FG. That is why I mentioned he had to be healthy, which I acknowledge is a big "if". I just think Danks is nails and has shown if the pressure is on, he can throw up zeros with the best of them.

Gotcha. I really don't see a scenario where Freddie would be the guy you call on if you have a choice. I think Danks and Mark have the most guts on the staff.

Reading through this and several other threads in recent weeks, I am amazed at how many posters would consider trading the likes of Floyd, Danks, Thornton, and even Hudson. In my mind, the way to make the 2010 Sox a serious WS contender is to complement that core strength rather than weaken it just to marginally improve the offense. Sox bats were miserable to watch last year but even more frustrating was the defense and middle relief (particularly Linebrink). There were way too many games lost because shoddy defense would result in an extra run or two here and there. Outstanding efforts on the mound were wasted with failures in the field and late in the game on the hill. In my opinion, it will be defensive signings like Vizquel and strengthening of the bullpen that will be the key to winning a division (and hopefully more) far more than whoever they get to DH. Most offensive stars can be replaced save an elite few, but you can never have too much pitching and defense.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
Reading through this and several other threads in recent weeks, I am amazed at how many posters would consider trading the likes of Floyd, Danks, Thornton, and even Hudson. In my mind, the way to make the 2010 Sox a serious WS contender is to complement that core strength rather than weaken it just to marginally improve the offense. Sox bats were miserable to watch last year but even more frustrating was the defense and middle relief (particularly Linebrink). There were way too many games lost because shoddy defense would result in an extra run or two here and there. Outstanding efforts on the mound were wasted with failures in the field and late in the game on the hill. In my opinion, it will be defensive signings like Vizquel and strengthening of the bullpen that will be the key to winning a division (and hopefully more) far more than whoever they get to DH. Most offensive stars can be replaced save an elite few, but you can never have too much pitching and defense.

Marginal offensive upgrade? People are throwing around the names Floyd, Danks and Hudson in possible deals for the likes of Adrian Gonzalez and BJ Upton, they're not exactly aiming low. One is an elite offensive player and elite defender at 1B and the other is an elite defender in CF (top 3 since moving to the position) and has tremendous offensive upside (should be a good leadoff hitter regardless). These would be incredible upgrades to the club and either player would be under team control for multiple seasons. Daniel Hudson's value is through the roof right now, if the Kenny can parlay that tremendous value into a great young ballplayer I'll be absolutely ecstatic because believe it or not I don't agree that the 400 or so innings that Omar Vizquel spends on the field this year will be anywhere near as valuable as adding a sure thing to this highly questionable lineup that finished in the bottom 3 of the AL in a sub .500 season last year.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
Marginal offensive upgrade? People are throwing around the names Floyd, Danks and Hudson in possible deals for the likes of Adrian Gonzalez and BJ Upton, they're not exactly aiming low. One is an elite offensive player and elite defender at 1B and the other is an elite defender in CF (top 3 since moving to the position) and has tremendous offensive upside (should be a good leadoff hitter regardless). These would be incredible upgrades to the club and either player would be under team control for multiple seasons. Daniel Hudson's value is through the roof right now, if the Kenny can parlay that tremendous value into a great young ballplayer I'll be absolutely ecstatic because believe it or not I don't agree that the 400 or so innings that Omar Vizquel spends on the field this year will be anywhere near as valuable as adding a sure thing to this highly questionable lineup that finished in the bottom 3 of the AL in a sub .500 season last year.

I agree with this. We need some significant offensive upgrades to be a serious contender and not let the excellent starting pitching go to waste. I think Hudson's value is at his highest point and now is a great time to deal him.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 11:47 PM)
Not when you regress the way he did in 2009.

Yeah, he regressed all right... all the way back to 10th in the AL in ERA among qualified starters (3.77)... ahead of other slackers like John Lackey, Josh Beckett, and Mark Buehrle.

And the only two lefty starters with a better ERA were Sabathia and Lester.

It's Thursday afternoon... so I think you qualify as a candidate for B&B's "Who You Crappin'?" bucket-o-suck.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Yeah, he regressed all right... all the way back to 10th in the AL in ERA among qualified starters (3.77)... ahead of other slackers like John Lackey, Josh Beckett, and Mark Buehrle.

And the only two lefty starters with a better ERA were Sabathia and Lester.

It's Thursday afternoon... so I think you qualify as a candidate for B&B's "Who You Crappin'?" bucket-o-suck.

Or SNL's "Really!?!?" segment on Weekend Update

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
I agree with this. We need some significant offensive upgrades to be a serious contender and not let the excellent starting pitching go to waste. I think Hudson's value is at his highest point and now is a great time to deal him.

I have no problem dealing Hudson. It's when people start throwing Danks and Floyd out there that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. As you said, let's not waste excellent starting pitching. Hard to do that when you're trying to trade it.

QUOTE (League @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 06:01 AM)
So, if this is your logic, you must think Gavin Floyd is pretty horrible as well, right?

Career:

36-29 - 4.67 ERA - .259 avg - 1.37 WHIP

Man, this guy must have sucked:

34-45 - 4.28 ERA - 1.338 WHIP

...oh wait.

That's Greinke pre-2009.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)

It would be great to keep Hudson's cheap salary for the next three years (and manageable contracts for the next three years), but you definitely deal him rather than Danks or Floyd for an impact offensive player like Gonzalez. As much upside as Hudson has, he's not a proven MLB commodity. Danks and Floyd are.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)

Adrian Gonzalez is probably worth trading Hudson and others but I am not so sure about Upton. My point is beyond just the Gonzalez/Upton talk. Every time I see a thread with a trade proposal for some player with a decent stick, people are really quick to pull the trigger on some excellent young pitchers. I have yet to see one player elevate the White Sox offense to the next level since Julio Franco was the DH. You could make a case for Thome in 2006 but that really did not sustain itself in the 2nd half and the cycle continued in subsequent seasons. If the player in question also brings a tremendous upgrade defensively, as you say for Upton and possibly Gonzalez (Konerko is not bad at 1B), then maybe it makes sense but I just am amazed at how few people recognize how detrimental the defense was last year, in particular in the first half, not to mention Alexei's brain cramp filled second half. I agree Hudson is an unproven commodity and you trade him if you can get an elite player like Gonzalez, but Danks and Floyd should command a huge payload in my opinion.

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Adrian Gonzalez is probably worth trading Hudson and others but I am not so sure about Upton. My point is beyond just the Gonzalez/Upton talk. Every time I see a thread with a trade proposal for some player with a decent stick, people are really quick to pull the trigger on some excellent young pitchers. I have yet to see one player elevate the White Sox offense to the next level since Julio Franco was the DH. You could make a case for Thome in 2006 but that really did not sustain itself in the 2nd half and the cycle continued in subsequent seasons. If the player in question also brings a tremendous upgrade defensively, as you say for Upton and possibly Gonzalez (Konerko is not bad at 1B), then maybe it makes sense but I just am amazed at how few people recognize how detrimental the defense was last year, in particular in the first half, not to mention Alexei's brain cramp filled second half. I agree Hudson is an unproven commodity and you trade him if you can get an elite player like Gonzalez, but Danks and Floyd should command a huge payload in my opinion.

I haven't seen much here suggesting we trade those guys. That has been mentioned a few times but I imagine the majority of the board would be VERY against anything involving Danks, Floyd, Q, or Beckham. None of those guys are going anywhere.

Agree on Upton too. They would both cost the farm, but I'd much rather deal the farm for Gonzalez because that kind of bat is one that Upton will NEVER have - at least not the one named BJ. Upton does have a huge ceiling but it's kind of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation with him. If we acquire him and he goes off like he's supposed to, then in arbitration he's going to rake us over the coals. If he's cheap in arb then it's because he didn't do jack, and if he's moderately priced in arb then he really didn't give us the lift we needed. At least with Adrian we KNOW we're getting an elite lefty bat, and we KNOW we're getting it cheaply in terms of salary for the next two years. The only drawback with Adrian is that he's a FA after 2011, but depending on where we are and where baseball in general is economically, we can't at this point *entirely* rule out an extension or a re-signing, and at least if he does go he's as good a bet as any for 2 first-round draft picks.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
I haven't seen much here suggesting we trade those guys. That has been mentioned a few times but I imagine the majority of the board would be VERY against anything involving Danks, Floyd, Q, or Beckham. None of those guys are going anywhere.

Maybe you're right. I might be isolating one or two people saying Danks is overrated or whatever. I think my post was on the heels of someone starting a thread suggesting trading Thornton and I snapped. Sorry if I overreacted.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Upton does have a huge ceiling but it's kind of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation with him. If we acquire him and he goes off like he's supposed to, then in arbitration he's going to rake us over the coals. If he's cheap in arb then it's because he didn't do jack, and if he's moderately priced in arb then he really didn't give us the lift we needed.

There's also the chance that Upton will never return to his 2007 numbers and some of the flashes that he showed in 2008. If I'm going to give up top prospects, it's going to be for a proven commodity like Gonzalez.