Winter/Spring 2009-10 TV thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
Seriously? ANY season of 24 described as "incredible"?

Honestly?

were all pretty f***ing damn entertaining. Season 8 started slow but has been good. I'm sorry to see it go. At least there will be a movie.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
Was super excited to watch the pacific since I loved band of brothers so much. But it was awful. As I told my friend, it was more Pearl Harbor the movie than band of brothers.

WTF did you only watch episode 3? That was the first episode that had ANY romance. This series has been wonderful.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
On a more important note, I'm pretty surprised that I haven't seen much Breaking Bad talk in this thread (although I haven't looked that hard). It's possibly the best show on TV right now.. definitely worth checking out.
Love it. I'm glad it's developed more of a following.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
Was super excited to watch the pacific since I loved band of brothers so much. But it was awful. As I told my friend, it was more Pearl Harbor the movie than band of brothers.

The story of the Pacific war is just so much harder to tell effectively than the European war, so far it's been interesting to see how they've done it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
You mean like 10 years ago, right? That show has been awful for quite a while now, they just stopped trying.

The 3 animated shows I enjoyed were American Dad, Futurama, and King of the Hill and right now none of those are having new episodes. Although the first 2 should hopefully both be having new episodes in near future. Simpsons has been bad for a long time and Family Guy actually has been pretty terrible too.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
The 3 animated shows I enjoyed were American Dad, Futurama, and King of the Hill and right now none of those are having new episodes. Although the first 2 should hopefully both be having new episodes in near future.

Ya Futurama is having new episodes I believe in May or so. I can't wait for that. :)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
Ya Futurama is having new episodes I believe in May or so. I can't wait for that. :)

June!

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
I'm sure no one cares, and this probably doesn't even belong in this thread, but I'm too excited not to mention it. New Futurama episodes begin in June :D

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastro...ost-presentama/

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
You mean like 10 years ago, right? That show has been awful for quite a while now, they just stopped trying.

yeah, but it's one of those things that still amazes me time to time... especially when Fox is showing the reruns from the golden era and then to watch last night to see how awful it is.

The 3 animated shows I enjoyed were American Dad, Futurama, and King of the Hill and right now none of those are having new episodes. Although the first 2 should hopefully both be having new episodes in near future. Simpsons has been bad for a long time and Family Guy actually has been pretty terrible too.

I find King of The Hill absolutely hilarious and I still watch the reruns on cartoon network when I have time. I'm sorry they canceled it, especially since the Simpsons are still on. Being on this long has definitely hurt the shows legacy. It was "the" animated show in the 90's, but it has just gotten so ridiculously bad. It doesn't matter how much longer they go, they took it too far years ago.

Anyways, 24 was a very good episode tonight. Actually, until that episode I was semi-bored with this season and was thinking that it was about time to go, but tonight was great, and if the rest of the season keeps going strong I will be very sorry to see it go. It has been very hit or miss these last few years though, as opposed to the first 5 years when it was mostly gold.

Pretty excited for Justified tomorrow as well. That has been pretty solid so far. Winter/Spring has a lot of good shows going on that I can barely find time to watch and baseball is just around the corner.

I didn't know anyone actually liked American Dad. The other two are awesome, though :P

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
I find King of The Hill absolutely hilarious and I still watch the reruns on cartoon network when I have time. I'm sorry they canceled it, especially since the Simpsons are still on. Being on this long has definitely hurt the shows legacy. It was "the" animated show in the 90's, but it has just gotten so ridiculously bad. It doesn't matter how much longer they go, they took it too far years ago.

I agree with King of the Hill, I've followed it since it began. What I hate, and it's the same with Simpsons reruns, is I rarely come across an episode I haven't already seen. Usually with the Simpsons and KOTH it'll have to be a newer episode from within the last two years, when work and drinking conflicted with Sunday television viewing.

I honestly believe the Simpsons has been strong these last two seasons. Their material is a lot sharper and wittier than previous years. There was a period, from probably 2004-2007, where nearly every episode I viewed was unbearable. I can at least tolerate it enough to forsake valuable DVR space on Sundays.

Until now, I've probably seen two episodes of Futurama. There are 30 episodes of the show backlogged on my DVR that I have yet to watch. I don't know what it is about the show, but it's as if I always have intentions of watching it, yet something else comes up that I feel is more important and I ignore it. That's basically how I viewed the show when it was on FOX, and now Cartoon Network.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
I honestly believe the Simpsons has been strong these last two seasons. Their material is a lot sharper and wittier than previous years. There was a period, from probably 2004-2007, where nearly every episode I viewed was unbearable. I can at least tolerate it enough to forsake valuable DVR space on Sundays.

I agree thats its gotten better over the last year or so, although it still doesnt compare to the heyday of course. Its on the lower rung on my DVR space, but I try to still catch every episode.

Finally saw the Family Guy from two Sundays ago, there isnt much that can make me say wow, but that Terri Schiavo play to start out was something else. Although the Kindergarden version of Matt McConaughey from Dazed & Confused was pretty hilarious.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)
Although the Kindergarden version of Matt McConaughey from Dazed & Confused was pretty hilarious.

People aren't tired to the references to pop culture yet?

Family Guy got old like 5 years ago.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
People aren't tired to the references to pop culture yet?

Family Guy got old like 5 years ago.

As long as they are good and not the same ones repeatedly, I still find them pretty funny. Other than Modern Family & CBS Monday nights, its still one of my favorite comedies on right now.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
I agree with King of the Hill, I've followed it since it began. What I hate, and it's the same with Simpsons reruns, is I rarely come across an episode I haven't already seen. Usually with the Simpsons and KOTH it'll have to be a newer episode from within the last two years, when work and drinking conflicted with Sunday television viewing.

Until now, I've probably seen two episodes of Futurama. There are 30 episodes of the show backlogged on my DVR that I have yet to watch. I don't know what it is about the show, but it's as if I always have intentions of watching it, yet something else comes up that I feel is more important and I ignore it. That's basically how I viewed the show when it was on FOX, and now Cartoon Network.

I love Futurama not only because it's funny, but because it has such a great sense of continuity. They constantly refer back to earlier episodes (including the pilot) and never seem to contradict themselves.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
I love Futurama not only because it's funny, but because it has such a great sense of continuity. They constantly refer back to earlier episodes (including the pilot) and never seem to contradict themselves.

I strongly suggest watching the series with commentary on. It's a lot of fun to listen to them talk about the series, especially if you've already gone through the series normally a couple of times.