Jake Fox

rowand's rowdies

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
He'd need to be AAA fodder like Restovich or Kroeger.

Nah. I think Fox has a good chance of sticking on a major league roster. He's a much better hitter than Restovich or Kroeger.

Problem is that he doesn't have a position. But somebody looking for a low cost DH might do real well by acquiring him.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
i think fox has potential for 40+ HR and 100+ RBI at DH... I'd trade for him in a heartbeat. He's also cheap for a few more years I think... imagine a healthy raking CQ/Jake Fox batting 3/4; I think it has potential.

I think you're a little overboard but I like the idea as well. I dunno about the 3/4 thing but if the trade doesn't cost an assload and it means we can spend some actual money on an outfielder or bullpen help by adding Fox as a low-cost DH, where do I sign?

Edited by bschmaranz

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
What's the deal with Fox, is he just a butcher in the field?

He's a former catcher who's been moved around to different positions over the last 3 years (corner outfield, 1B, and a little 3B).

He could probably stick at 1B. But he'd be a subpar corner OF.

Sort of limits his options.

Solid bat though... and light-tower power. His offense alone makes it worth somebody's time to give him a shot.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
He's a former catcher who's been moved around to different positions over the last 3 years (corner outfield, 1B, and a little 3B).

He could probably stick at 1B. But he'd be a subpar corner OF.

Sort of limits his options.

Solid bat though... and light-tower power. His offense alone makes it worth somebody's time to give him a shot.

Light-tower power? Are you high? The guy slugged .468 last season.

Lobbied for this guy for two years now. He's basically a DH, but has a ton of potential with the bat. I'd love to get him, but I'd rather us fill the needs of other areas first and also see if we can find a LH Power and/or OBP hitter.

I remember all the anger that came out of this board when Jim Thome was the Sox DH. Then I read about all the suggestions for his replacement and LMAO. Someday you will come to the conclusion Jim Thome was a fine DH, and the guy that succeeded him, if KW takes advice from this board, was a huge downgrade.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 07:22 AM)
I remember all the anger that came out of this board when Jim Thome was the Sox DH. Then I read about all the suggestions for his replacement and LMAO. Someday you will come to the conclusion Jim Thome was a fine DH, and the guy that succeeded him, if KW takes advice from this board, was a huge downgrade.

Yeah. I think some people wanted Thome gone and somebody else in simply to see something new. Unless he came ridiculously cheap, I want no part of Jake Fox.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 02:19 AM)
I'm for it. The guy has huge power potential. I think the cubs made big mistake last year not finding him more ABs. He is a terrible defensive player but can at least play multi positions. Also would give us a legit emergency catcher if ever needed.

Don't sell yourself short, Judge. You're a tremendous slouch...

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 12:46 AM)
Light-tower power? Are you high? The guy slugged .468 last season.

You're just on a roll aren't you...

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 12:54 AM)
Light tower power means you have tremendous raw power, and has nothing to do with SLG%.

Thank you.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/foxja02.shtml

Basically no defensive position, .311 OBP, 96 OPS+ and he was 25/26 last year. If the Cubs thought he had 40 HR potential they would have crammed him in that lineup somehow. I would much, much, much rather have Thome as the Sox everyday DH next year.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
Was Fox just a brutally incompetent defensive catcher, or did they switch him because of Soto?

I'm not sure when he was switched, if memory serves me right there was only a two year window when they would have switched him because of Soto because Soto was a magical Iowa Cub who all of a sudden started hitting the crap out of the ball in the minors then his rookie year.

However, watching some Cubs games I seem to remember Len and Bob basically saying it would be a stretch for Fox to play catcher at the MLB level consistently and it wasn't because he hadn't played it in awhile, more because he struggles back there.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
I'm not sure when he was switched, if memory serves me right there was only a two year window when they would have switched him because of Soto because Soto was a magical Iowa Cub who all of a sudden started hitting the crap out of the ball in the minors then his rookie year.

However, watching some Cubs games I seem to remember Len and Bob basically saying it would be a stretch for Fox to play catcher at the MLB level consistently and it wasn't because he hadn't played it in awhile, more because he struggles back there.

Fox has never been put at any position long enough to get any good at it, other than C, where he will not be able to play on a day to day basis. He could play LF, he seems to have the potential to play at least average at 3B, and could be an athletic 1B. He has a great bat.

The Cubs are now without a closer, maybe a Jenks trade would net Fox and a couple other bullpen pieces that would free up some $$ and fill holes on the roster at the same time.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 04:17 AM)
i think fox has potential for 40+ HR and 100+ RBI at DH... I'd trade for him in a heartbeat. He's also cheap for a few more years I think... imagine a healthy raking CQ/Jake Fox batting 3/4; I think it has potential.

What makes you think he can accomplish these numbers? That is premium and what has he showed to make one think he can hit like Pujols?