Uggla expects to be traded during offseason

ChiliIrishHammock24

Uggla expects to be traded. What would the Marlins want? Package around Alexei + Flowers/Danks? Becks moves back to SS, Uggla to 2B obviously....

1) Beckham SS

2) Uggla 2B

3) Quentin LF

4) Konerko 1B

5) Pierzynski C

6) Jones DH

7) Rios CF

8) Teahan 3B

9) Kotsay RF

?

Or maybe we give them one of Danks/Floyd instead of Alexei and keep Alexei at SS, Becks at 3B, Uggla at 2B, and Teahan into the OF?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
Yeah, his 2009 was awful, but in 2008 he actually had a pretty good year. And he would be acquired for his bat, not his glove.

He's a poor defender, a fluctuation in UZR isn't going to convince me otherwise all you have to do is watch him, he's just not comfortable in the field. You can acquire him for his bat but that glove is still coming right along with him and it will be costing you runs especially in the double plays he fails to turn.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
He's a poor defender, a fluctuation in UZR isn't going to convince me otherwise. You can acquire him for his bat but that glove is still coming right along with him and it will be costing you runs especially in the double plays he fails to turn.

Assuming Alexei is kept in any deal, and it's pitchers being dealt, he would be replacing Kotsay/Teahan in the lineup. I am certain he would produce more runs than both of them combined, regardless of defensive follies.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
He's a poor defender, a fluctuation in UZR isn't going to convince me otherwise all you have to do is watch him, he's just not comfortable in the field. You can acquire him for his bat but that glove is still coming right along with him and it will be costing you runs especially in the double plays he fails to turn.

Remember that all star game a few years back where he made 2 or 3 errors in a row? No thanks.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
Assuming Alexei is kept in any deal, and it's pitchers being dealt, he would be replacing Kotsay/Teahan in the lineup. I am certain he would produce more runs than both of them combined, regardless of defensive follies.

Except then you still have to pay Teahen and give up a decent package of players to acquire Uggla, then you have to pay him ~$9M+ in arbitration. You're filling the position that isn't open with a severely flawed, expensive player while limiting your ability to fill other holes.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)
irrelevant though.

You don't trade that much taelnt for one fellow who has a cast iron mitt for a glove. Plus I think the team is pretty well set other than needing a leadoff man, possible OF'er and relief help

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
Uggla expects to be traded. What would the Marlins want? Package around Alexei + Flowers/Danks? Becks moves back to SS, Uggla to 2B obviously....

1) Beckham SS

2) Uggla 2B

3) Quentin LF

4) Konerko 1B

5) Pierzynski C

6) Jones DH

7) Rios CF

8) Teahan 3B

9) Kotsay RF

?

Or maybe we give them one of Danks/Floyd instead of Alexei and keep Alexei at SS, Becks at 3B, Uggla at 2B, and Teahan into the OF?

i wouldn't trade any of those guys straight up for Uggla let alone in a a package

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
No, but the fact that he fits nowhere on this team and isnt an improvement over our current middle infielders is totally relevant.

I just meant irrelevant in a sense that I doubt Kenny would turn down a trade solely based on "he is not a very good #2 hitter".

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)

1) Beckham SS

2) Uggla 2B

3) Quentin LF

4) Konerko 1B

5) Pierzynski C

6) Jones DH

7) Rios CF

8) Teahan 3B

9) Kotsay RF

?

Alexei and Flowers/Danks? Get out of here, no way.

Dan Uggla is barely good enough to warrant Alexei alone.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Alexei and Flowers/Danks? Get out of here, no way.

Dan Uggla is barely good enough to warrant Alexei alone.

I wouldn't trade Alexei straight up for Uggla. He doesn't bring nearly enough to the table to warrant his $9M price tag and he's a definite non-tender candidate for 2011 when you're looking at paying him $11M to be a homeless man's Adam Dunn and all the while he's not happy unless he's at 2B. Meanwhile Alexei will be paid $2.2M over the next 2 seasons with still 2 more years of arbitration coming after that, if he can get his wOBA up into the .335-.340 territory and play a good shortstop he's easily the much more valuable commodity.

IMO.. our IF is set. Unless its a considerable upgrade at a position (something KW operates in or for example.. an Adrian Gonzalez at 1B) we are pretty much set and usual rumors about players at IF spots (though it's nice to talk about) should not be getting riled up about. I'm more interested to see what we do in the OF spots (minus Rios in CF) and possibly DH and the bullpen.